The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Cleaning Leather (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=213374)

BowTieOgre 10-16-2006 05:39 PM

Cleaning Leather

Ive got some leather seats out of a '99 chevy that have a little mildew stain going on from sitting outside under an awning and im wondering if there is a good way to get them cleaned without taking them to a shop. I did a test run with some diluted Simple Green and a medium bristle brush and it worked OK but I can still see the stains in certain areas. Any help is appreciated. I will try to post a pic tonight.

>X< 10-18-2006 09:37 PM

Re: Cleaning Leather

the BEST thing for cleaning leather is FAST ORANGE hand cleaner. its like 12 bucks for a gallon. just make sure to use a treatment after(blue magic is my fav) after because the fast orange robs some of the natural oils. i sell meguires, carquest, and 3m detailing products at the paint store and none of them compare to fast orange. thank CDOWNS for this trick

>X< 10-18-2006 09:39 PM

just scrub the leather with tons of fast orange and a microfiber rag, then i use a spray bottle with water to clean the bulk of the dirty crap off. after it dries go over it with a vaccum wth a soft brush tip to get the grit out of the cracks.

BowTieOgre 10-19-2006 03:05 PM

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a whirl tonight and let you know how it came out. Thx also to Cdowns...that makes at least a bakers dozen nuggets of wisdom ive been granted by him! I LOVE this site!:metal:

dbenamati 10-19-2006 08:38 PM

I had a similar problem (with the staining). I used one of those majic sponges (Mr. Clean brand) and just soap (lysol) and warm water. After washing and drying, I went over the leather with some armoral or similar product. Hope it helps!!!

BowTieOgre 10-22-2006 03:10 PM

Well ive tried the magic eraser AND fast orange method and neither took out the spot shaped stains. The surface stains are gone but there are some deeper ones that refuse to go. I may bite the bullet and order some Katzkins for it...dont have the $$ right now but if i cant get these clean im going to have to do something.

>X< 11-02-2006 06:53 PM

check out your local paint store and get some SEM aerosol interior paint. this stuff is like 10 bucks a can, indestructable, sticks to anything with the proper prep, wont wear off, etc. they have all the chevy interior colors too

kris johnson 11-06-2006 08:39 PM

i have a proplem with my leather,it's tan and whin i wipe it it'like the color comes out of it. trying to get ri of the usual grim?any help would be nice