The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Tools for installing bolt-in notch? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=220016)

fishmunger 12-19-2006 12:47 AM

Tools for installing bolt-in notch?

Ok I ordered my notch and shock relocators from CPP today. I've never done this before but i get the general consensus it isnt too bad...

Ok I have access to an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and a jigsaw for the cutting part. The thing I'm unsure about is how to get off those huge blasted rivets? Do I drill them out with my hand drill (sounds horrible!) or can I grind them down with a grinder or what? I don't have an air chisel or anything fun like that so I'm kinda limited...

Any tips?

Thanks,

Nate

SCOTI 12-19-2006 02:04 AM

Re: Tools for installing bolt-in notch?

Yep.... you can grind the heads off & punch the remainder through the hole (not as easy as it sounds though).

Do yourself a favor & stop off @ your local 'rent-all' center & get a small 110 air-compressor & an air chisel. That will definitely make the job much easier & shouldn't break the bank if you use your time wisely.

action 12-19-2006 10:39 AM

I used drill bits, started small (3/16) then went to a bit the size of the hole for rivet.
If the rivets didn't just fall off (hole drilled off center) I just used a cold chissle to finish. Rivets seem to be soft (to drill). just use cutting oil on drill bits to save them. Use a center punch to mark the center of the rivet.
Good luck
Jac

Hart_Rod 12-19-2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 1950050)
Yep.... you can grind the heads off & punch the remainder through the hole (not as easy as it sounds though).

Do yourself a favor & stop off @ your local 'rent-all' center & get a small 110 air-compressor & an air chisel. That will definitely make the job much easier & shouldn't break the bank if you use your time wisely.

:agree: :gi: This will make the job about 4 hours shorter.

fishmunger 12-19-2006 12:53 PM

ok, but now you need to explain to me what exactly I would do with the air chisel? I've never even touched one! What is the proper technique?

thanks,

Nate

SCOTI 12-19-2006 01:26 PM

The air chisel is basically a fast repetitive air hammer that uses different tips for different functions. Use a sharp, angled, 'chisel' tip to knock off the rivets head & then swap out to a 'punch' tip to finish poking the remainder of the rivet carcass through the hole.

An alternative method to speed the chiseling off of the rivet heads is to first cut them in a criss-cross pattern down to the frame material w/a cut-off wheel. It makes quick work of knocking them off the rest of the way.

XXL 12-19-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 1950419)
An alternative method to speed the chiseling off of the rivet heads is to first cut them in a criss-cross pattern down to the frame material w/a cut-off wheel. It makes quick work of knocking them off the rest of the way.

Use power tools where possible. If you do this manually, you will want to pack a lunch :(

67Fleet 12-19-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 1950419)
The air chisel is basically a fast repetitive air hammer that uses different tips for different functions. Use a sharp, angled, 'chisel' tip to knock off the rivets head & then swap out to a 'punch' tip to finish poking the remainder of the rivet carcass through the hole.

Best way is X pattern like SCOTI said. It will drastically reduce your time involved. Then stick your bull-point bit in and punch the remainder out.

fishmunger 12-20-2006 12:04 AM

well i found a friend with an air chisel now i need to find one with a portable air compressor...and the parts came today! those notches look beefy!

Nate

SCOTI 12-20-2006 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmunger (Post 1951249)
well i found a friend with an air chisel now i need to find one with a portable air compressor...and the parts came today! those notches look beefy!

Nate

Check your local rent-all if you can't get one from a friend . . .....

ghetto_superman 12-20-2006 12:59 AM

if all else fails... torch em.

gringoloco 12-20-2006 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmunger (Post 1951249)

Nate

Good thing. I wouldn't even attempt this without an air chisel. Even with one handy, it is a chore. I usually limit myself to 4-6 rivets a day. That's about all the pounding I can put up with in one session :lol:

Good luck -Chris

Rokcrln 12-20-2006 08:50 AM

I don't know if this will help or not!http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=195566

Kevin
LFD Inc.

action 12-20-2006 09:41 AM

My truck was not that hard-I did about 40 rivets in less the 30 min with a drill and 2 bit sizes. If you use an air chissel make sure you get a big compressor as they use a lot of air. My truck is down to the frame so I am sure that helped. I have a chissel but for me the drill was way faster.
Jack