The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Satellite Radio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=222798)

chevyboy55 01-11-2007 04:48 PM

Satellite Radio

I've been toying with getting satellite radio(i'm a truck driver & spend alot of time listening to either radio or CD's) What service do you use & why?
Kinda leaning towards XM (mostly because I cannot stand Howard Stern,although I could just not tune him in)

CG 01-11-2007 05:01 PM

Re: Satellite Radio

You should do a search, there have been many threads covering this topic. And I agree with you, I cant stand Howard. I have Sirius and never listen to him.

chevybill 01-11-2007 08:03 PM

I have a 50 minute commute to and from work, so I love my Sirius sat. radio.
The equipment was a birthday present and I paid for the subscription.
Sirius has the all Elvis station, classic and outlaw country and nascar stations and these are the ones I listen to most often.

There is constant talk of XM and Sirius merging.

pritch 01-11-2007 09:26 PM

I have Sirius. I don't know anything about XM, but I think the music stations are similar. As long as I can hear the blues whereever I am, it's all good. Go for it, you'll never listen to terrestrial radio again.

FarmTruk 01-11-2007 09:28 PM

I've never owned a Sat Radio, but I've used one extensively in a company-owned car. They are GREAT. The ONLY downside I could see is getting around the idea of paying for radio. But, people already do that with all other media, so...

The XM is great if you're a NASCAR fan, and Sirus if you're a MLB fan.

I like Bluegrass, so either would be a good choice for me :o

My next car radio WILL be an XM portable, with dock for home use.

N2TRUX 01-11-2007 10:34 PM

You need to tell us what you like to listen to. I have had both XM and Sirius and all I listen to is the comedy channels. They are about even for that but there is a big difference on other formats.

pritch 01-11-2007 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=FarmTruk;1981304]
The XM is great if you're a NASCAR fan, and Sirus if you're a MLB fan.
QUOTE]

Otherway around, I think. That is the big bummer for me-no baseball on sirius.

454_72_4X4 01-12-2007 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmTruk (Post 1981304)
The ONLY downside I could see is getting around the idea of paying for radio. But, people already do that with all other media, so...

That's me I guess...I just can't justify paying for radio yet.
A couple buddies of mine has Sirius and they seem to like it alot.

NitroNostrils 01-12-2007 04:00 AM

Chevyboy I to drive for a living and orginially started out with xm then after six months or so switched over to sirius mainly because of the professional sports. Personally the programming is better. Nascar is coming to sirius this year along with some the drivers.

old_truck1969 01-12-2007 07:02 AM

I have 2 sirius receivers. One stays in the wife's car, the other goes from the house, my car, and work. You can go to www.sirius.com to listen free for 3 days to try it out.

Shane 01-12-2007 10:17 AM

XM user here too, I mostly listen to talk radio / news and the Decades Channels (70's 80's, 90's) and the comedy channels. I love it as I also spend a fair amount of time in my car.

I have considered buying a Sirius unit once my XM contract runs out because of the move NASCAR made. But haven't made up my mind yet.

I have heard nothing but good things about both XM & Sirius.

LUV2XCLR8 01-12-2007 08:26 PM

I plan to have XM, I tried both of them for 30 days online, I liked XM better

boatpuller 01-12-2007 08:58 PM

hey there chevy boy in kelso.i got xm and its great,it will fade out if there's alot of trees.like westside hwy,or hwy 30 going out of rainier.cornielius pass anywhere theres cliffs like I-84 east.but its not that often.sounds crystal clear,as a truck driver i would think it's a must have.they do sneak in commercials even though they say they don't.but i really like it.what old chevy truck you drivin around town?i'll keep an peeled for you.

kyle4381 01-12-2007 09:40 PM

Everyone I know including me has Sirius and it is excellent..:metal:

DirtyLarry 01-12-2007 09:52 PM

I have XM in 3 of our vehicles and love it. I travel for work and drive Avis rental cars more than I drive my own vehicles. I usually wind up with Caddy DTS’s, Buick Lucerne’s, or Impala’s with XM but once in a while they will toss me a 300, Charger, or Magnum with Sirius. After spending a lot of time listening to both I prefer XM hands down. Sirius does have a few channels that are pretty decent such as blue collar radio and a few of their other talk shows but other than that they Siriusly suck in my opinion. Maybe it is just the Chrysler radios that make the streaming lag time between channel changes seem like hours that I really hate about Sirius.

Sirius is cheaper and also cheaper to buy their stock but have delivered small returns compared to XM. Although XM returns have slowed down over the past year. The rumor in the auto industry is XM and Sirius are in the middle of due diligence with possible merger. We will see….sounds like a monopoly to me.

chevyboy55 01-12-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpuller (Post 1982847)
hey there chevy boy in kelso.i got xm and its great,it will fade out if there's alot of trees.like westside hwy,or hwy 30 going out of rainier.cornielius pass anywhere theres cliffs like I-84 east.but its not that often.sounds crystal clear,as a truck driver i would think it's a must have.they do sneak in commercials even though they say they don't.but i really like it.what old chevy truck you drivin around town?i'll keep an peeled for you.

I drive an old 1988 p.o.s. I found out about this board through my son(longnlo72) He's a senior @ Kelso high. He has a 72 lwb 2wd that we have working on for about a year.It's not painted yet(getting close) we have done a whole bunch to it & hopefully it will be done soon.It will be a 2 tone dark blue with a pearl white insets & roof.

bad_turbo 01-12-2007 11:02 PM

my in-laws bought me the Sirius Sportster Replay and paid for a year subscription on my b-day last year, but I really don't listen to the radio, so it is still in the box.

chevyboy55 01-13-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 1981433)
You need to tell us what you like to listen to. I have had both XM and Sirius and all I listen to is the comedy channels. They are about even for that but there is a big difference on other formats.

Comedy-Talk-Rock music-NHRA drag racing & most types of racing except NASCAR-Not a real big stick & ball sports fan.I would love traffic but I'm too cheap to pay extra for it.
I'm listening right now to a free 3 day Sirus trial & I'm hearing comercials? Is that normal? I thought it was comercial free radio.

boatpuller 01-13-2007 04:05 PM

yeah,xm sneaks them in too.it wouldn't bother me that much but they advertise it commercial free.i don't like that.but that my only real bich about satellite.i've got sirius on t.v and xm in my truck.to me it's a toss up.my kimo sawbe says all i do is daydream all day anyway.

chevyboy55 01-14-2007 12:42 PM

I'm leaning toward XM.Now a question for those of you wuth XM.What reciver arew you using? I was looking at the Audiovox xpress with 5 line display.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Audiovox-Xpr...QQcmdZViewItem

bcanini 01-14-2007 02:15 PM

Xm for 3 yrs here and like it. I'll stay w/ em just cant go back to regular radio.
Something to be said when you want to listen to a specific type of music and you can listen to it for hours if you choose.
I think both are extremely close in programming etc. I'm a GM guy and thats whats in the Chevs.

Brian

TooT 01-14-2007 11:36 PM

I'm a truck driver and i have XM in the big truck, in the house, in the garage and in my little truck...i dont like stern either...on XM it's all about the boys....Opie and Anthony!:metal: get the xm you wont regret it...awesome truckin channels to.

ronh72c10 01-15-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyboy55 (Post 1985298)
I'm leaning toward XM.Now a question for those of you wuth XM.What reciver arew you using? I was looking at the Audiovox xpress with 5 line display.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Audiovox-Xpr...QQcmdZViewItem

Last week I got a Pioneer inno (XM) that was on sale, it has a built in antenna, can record content off of the air and you can load mp3s onto it. It's great, I can't believe how much I've been using the record feature. Matter of fact I'm listening to it right now at work.

If you want to cheap out the Roady XT is really reasonably priced and works perfectly well.

In my car I've got an older built in Pioneer system which is neat because it integrates well with my Pioneer car stereo. It was a little more expensive, $150 for the reciever and $250 for the head unit.

Have a look at xmfanstore.com they've got some decent deals.

Ron

67ChevyRedneck 01-15-2007 10:37 AM

I have XM and use the SkiFi II. It works awesome. I recently drove from SC to NY and back and even through the WV mountains I only lost the signal a couple times for maybe a couple seconds. Part of the reason may be the antenna is just sittin on my dash and not on the roof of the truck like it's supposed to be.

70rs/ss 01-16-2007 12:42 PM

I have the roady and it works great, XM here but on the fence as I like some NASCAR. XM says NASCAR has not left for certain and that both serius and XM might carry it so I extended my service for a couple more months. I also get XM on sat TV and I live in the middle of no where so radio stations are few and far between, so sat radio is great. We also drive a lot especially over the summer so I can catch neckcar anytime!!