The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Here's what I've been doing for the past year.... :) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=223739)

Bamm 01-18-2007 01:45 PM

Here's what I've been doing for the past year.... :)

3 Attachment(s)
This is what has been keeping me offline for so long..... 28 x 40 w/ a 13 x 40 w 8' ceilings upstairs. I haven't finished the upstairs yet, that will be a little down the road. As you can see, I didn't waste any time getting a parts truck that I had in there and torn down........

Bishops Trucks 01-18-2007 01:51 PM

Re: Here's what I've been doing for the past year.... :)

NICE SHOP! I moved in July of 2006 to Vienna, Austria from Manassas, Va. How far is Amelia from Manassas? Now we expect to see project pics.

70c10 01-18-2007 01:56 PM

Awesome garage!!!!. I thought you would have been required to run an I-beam with a span that far.

Bamm 01-18-2007 02:18 PM

No I-beam required Jim, at least that's what the engineers determined. They said I could use the top floor as a "normal" living space, but no slate top pool tables up there or anything really heavy like that.
Bishop, I'm not sure exactly how far I am from Manassas but I would bet it's between 1 1/2 - 2 hours from here. Thanks for the props guys, a lot of hard work and time went into this shop..........Jerry

Bamm 01-18-2007 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my first "paint job" in my new shop. I also painted the front end on a friends '98 Suburban in there. I am really happy with it........Jerry

ghetto_superman 01-18-2007 02:23 PM

man that place is bomb proof!!! nice!

Gray Ghost 01-18-2007 02:38 PM

Hmmm....Cowboy fan in Va? :D

Very nice shop!!

oopstruck 01-18-2007 02:40 PM

nice shop. whats the first thing to be built in there?

Bamm 01-18-2007 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Kelly, I've been a Cowboy fan since Danny White and Gary Hogeboom were fighting over who could be worse. :( I've pulled for them since 1982-3.

Oopstruck- Right now I'm doing little side jobs (painting) in there to help PAY for it, but my '67 will be the first project in there. I've been collecting parts on here and ebay for 5 years now and I hope to start the build really soon. I'm planning on doing a "build" thread on this in the near future, but here's a sneak peek......... Thanks again guys for the good reviews, and my advice on anyone else thinking about building a garage, build it as big as you can financially, because you will regret settling on a small shop, at least my brother in law does every time he steps in mine.........Jerry

Bamm 01-18-2007 06:30 PM

Ttt:)

jeffspower 01-18-2007 07:10 PM

Very nice. I've thought about building a shop with block walls also for the strength against storms & such. Did you do material only & labor hours cost estimating compared to stick frame/ pole building etc? I'm Especially curious on the materials only, as I don't pay myself very well anyway :rolleyes:

mnunn454 01-18-2007 10:19 PM

Nice.

1st floor has plenty of room overhead for a chain hoist of some kind plus there's stand-up storage upstairs. Excellent! Very functional.
Congratulations.

Bamm 01-18-2007 10:48 PM

Yeah, 13' ceilings downstairs to accommodate a twin post lift somewhere down the line. :) The upstairs room when finished will be 13' x 40' with 8 foot ceilings, it will be a hangout not really storage......
As far as block vs stick built, I have an Uncle who is a brick mason by trade and he agreed that as long as I was handing him block, he would put them in the wall at no charge. It really is a blessing to have a big family. My brothers-in-laws also agreed to set the trusses and put the roof on. The only thing I had to outsource was the concrete floor, the garage doors and the vinyl siding, and the doors and siding were done by some great friends that I go to church with so they cut me some pretty good deals. As it sits now I have $12k in it, that is with an unfinished upstairs. I have plans very soon of adding on a paint booth to the rear of the building and installing some sort of a/c heat pump for the main section.................Jerry

va_tlc 01-18-2007 10:48 PM

yup very nice shop ya got there. plenty of room. do you have plans on putting a wall up after you finish your truck as to keep it clean and not get over spray on it? seems you would have the room.

1LoC10 01-18-2007 10:51 PM

nice..... good job

Southedisto 01-18-2007 10:53 PM

Nice shop, you dont see many block buildings being built around here.

Bamm 01-18-2007 10:53 PM

Hey tlc, I'm actually planning on adding on a spray booth that will be right outside the door that you see in the middle of the picture. It will lead out into a 18' x 20' booth. Thanks for the compliments............Jerry

breeh 01-19-2007 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamm 24 (Post 1992938)
As it sits now I have $12k in it, that is with an unfinished upstairs.

Wow! I cannot even imagine paying that kind of money for that. That is a smokin' deal. I have been playing with the idea of a steel building.

arkracing 01-19-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamm 24 (Post 1992938)
As it sits now I have $12k in it,

:jdp: :jdp: :jdp:

Wow you are 1 lucky guy. I want a block garage, but always figured that the cost would be too high. Only bad feature is that you don't have any windows (any reason you didn't put them in?) How long did it take you guys to put up the block?

Did you ask you uncle what he would have normally charged to do that job?

LUV2XCLR8 01-19-2007 07:34 AM

:cong: AND :phat:

Bamm 01-19-2007 09:25 AM

Breeh- I looked long and hard at a steel building before I talked with my family about getting together and helping with this one. They aren't bad at all, just sometimes hard to heat and cool. I am sure I would have been happy with one of them also. :)

My uncle says the average price around here to lay block is $1.25 ea. All in all I saved around $3,000.00 by him not charging me any labor. I can only imagine what the labor charges would have been on setting all the trusses, nailing on all the purlings and screwing all the metal on the roof. Needless to say since I did go the "buddy" route, it took a lot longer (almost 2 years total), but it was the only way I could have done it. As far as windows go, I don't need them, and they're just one more way someone with ill intentions can get in my shop. I've got a good light setup and I am very happy with no windows that will cast a glare over a paint job or such while I'm trying to paint................Jerry

Imacarguytoo 01-19-2007 09:51 AM

Thats one nice garage. Im thinking of doing the same thing. How did you fasten the cabinets to the wall?

Bamm 01-20-2007 12:05 AM

I used tapcons to screw the cabinets to the walls. You can pick them up at Lowes or home depot. Just make sure you use a hammer drill with them or you'll burn the bits up. Get a box, you'll see what I mean..........Jerry

72 CustomCamper 01-20-2007 12:27 AM

Looks good Jerry, I might have to stop in some day and test it out...

Chuck

68GMC454 01-20-2007 08:15 AM

nice garage..always wanted one...nice to ahev family and friends to help out...now look out for all the work they need done on theier cars..lol
the upstairs will be a great place to kick back and watch football games..i would put in abathroom with a shower to keep the wife happy..but my stuff id covered up in grease and dirt,,so they are a mess to work on,..