The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Updates *pics* (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=231157)

jb4short 03-12-2007 05:01 AM

Updates *pics*

Sorry for putting this in two posts; but the other thread was getting kind of long and I wasn't sure if people would keep checking it.

Anyway; I went down to the other factory this morning. Some of you should recognize this:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCF1775.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCF1774.jpg

Here's someone's old truck sitting on the third floor of the factory for measuring and test fitting parts:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCF1776.jpg

Anyone in South Carolina remember owning this?

We got the cowl sample here and discussed making a stock replacement and a modified smooth one. The modified would be less antenna hole and the vent slots would be turned to face front to back, like the old Camaro, and would only go from the washer nozzle outboard about 5-1/2". This would really smooth out the look but retain some functionality. Thoughts?

We also discussed making a complete replacement shortbed frame. Do you think this is worth doing? Would it be worth the money to start your project on a brand new frame vs. finding/cleaning up an original?

Any suggestions are appreciated and the LWB bedsides should ship to us within a month.

Palf70Step 03-12-2007 05:25 AM

Re: Updates *pics*

Kool :metal:

mrein3 03-12-2007 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tri-ProAutomotive (Post 2071281)
Any suggestions are appreciated and the LWB bedsides should ship to us within a month.

BOY OH BOY. Talk about timing. Any guestimate on what a pair of LWB bedsides are going to run me? And when you you will be ready to ship them out?

I was planning on buying a stud gun and ATTEMPTING to straighten out my sides this spring but it sure would be a whole heck of a lot easier AND QUICKER to bolt a new pair on.

jb4short 03-12-2007 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrein3 (Post 2071335)
BOY OH BOY. Talk about timing. Any guestimate on what a pair of LWB bedsides are going to run me? And when you you will be ready to ship them out?

I was planning on buying a stud gun and ATTEMPTING to straighten out my sides this spring but it sure would be a whole heck of a lot easier AND QUICKER to bolt a new pair on.

no pricing yet; but they are supposed to ship to us within a month....then a month on the ocean so they should be in stock in May

Also; if someone has a damaged or unuseable 6' bedside we cold use the lower rear corner for development. If you think you could supply it PM me and I'll hightlight where to cut it out.

mrein3 03-12-2007 07:23 AM

Thanks for the quick response. And please keep us posted. Not long ago there was a thread about what parts folks would like to see. LOTS of people were screaming for LWB bedsides.

ghackett1 03-12-2007 07:25 AM

That is totally awesome. Do I see a first generation camaro or bird on the other side of that truck?:c2:

sixtysevengmc 03-12-2007 07:35 AM

YES!!:metal:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCF1775.jpg

arkracing 03-12-2007 08:03 AM

are these LWB bedside going to be like the SWB and be the inner and outers?
or are they going to be just the outer skins?

I'm sure they won't be cheap - but they look like a quality product :)

FRENCHBLUE72 03-12-2007 09:14 AM

Finally someone steps up for the lwb guys...

jb4short 03-12-2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghackett1 (Post 2071342)
That is totally awesome. Do I see a first generation camaro or bird on the other side of that truck?:c2:

Yes...looked like an RS.

The bedside will be the complete bolt on with the inner and outer just like the original. I asked him to also run some without the marker holes for the '67 guys.

Freight will definately be expensive on these. As soon as I get back I'll talk to the local pallet manufacturer to see what we can construct for safe shipping.

CG 03-12-2007 09:20 AM

20 years from now someone is going to purchase one of these trucks that has had these sides put on it and they are going to cut em down cause they wanted a short bed :lol:

jb4short 03-12-2007 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 2071447)
20 years from now someone is going to purchase one of these trucks that has had these sides put on it and they are going to cut em down cause they wanted a short bed :lol:

LOL!

Any thoughts on the complete SWB frame?

Joe67 03-12-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tri-ProAutomotive (Post 2071281)

We got the cowl sample here and discussed making a stock replacement and a modified smooth one. The modified would be less antenna hole and the vent slots would be turned to face front to back, like the old Camaro, and would only go from the washer nozzle outboard about 5-1/2". This would really smooth out the look but retain some functionality. Thoughts?

We also discussed making a complete replacement shortbed frame. Do you think this is worth doing? Would it be worth the money to start your project on a brand new frame vs. finding/cleaning up an original?

That cowl panel sounds interesting :cool:

replacement frames would depend on price to the end customer. Often SWB rolling chassis are available for under $300 complete, but it is usually a location issue.

If it was priced right, I would have ordered a complete new SWB frame for my project truck :D

Yukon Jack 03-12-2007 09:41 AM

Very awesome!

GMC71k20 03-12-2007 09:55 AM

would the swb frames be available for both 4wd and 2wd? not sure how you would go about doing that cause i don't know the differences if there are any. also, what ballpark would the price range be in? i think the frames would sell becuase they are not an easy find and the prices of swb's are only going to increase.

jb4short 03-12-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMC71k20 (Post 2071497)
would the swb frames be available for both 4wd and 2wd? not sure how you would go about doing that cause i don't know the differences if there are any. also, what ballpark would the price range be in? i think the frames would sell becuase they are not an easy find and the prices of swb's are only going to increase.

He's going to work up a calculation on the cost. I was thinnking a 2WD coil spring rear frame. As far as differences there are experts on here that can answer that question...I'd like to know also. I am not so familiar with these trucks that it would be anything but a guess for me. I know there's a SWB frame already sitting there....so we wouldn't need to find one.

The natural extension of this would be a LWB conversion kit; I.E, frame and bed components for those who want to build one from a LWB truck.

Zumo 03-12-2007 10:25 AM

It's like a dream come true. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 2071441)
Finally someone steps up for the lwb guys...

Classic Heartbeat 03-12-2007 11:14 AM

You should talk to the Suburban guys about complete Suburban quarters. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com

TierAngst 03-12-2007 12:40 PM

I like the idea of an antennaless cowl, I know at a minimum you'd have at least one buyer (me obviously :-P)

1lowdiesel 03-12-2007 01:34 PM

where in nj are you at. and yea that cowl would be a cool idea.

arkracing 03-12-2007 02:00 PM

As far as the SWB frames are concerned - they don't seem to be in too much demand - and for any fabricator it isn't that hard to cut down a LWB frame - as done in a tech thread here on the board. As mentioned you can ususally get a SWB frame for $300 or less in rolling condition.

Maybe in a few years prices will go up on them - but unless a re-pro SWB 2x4 Coil Frame is less than $600-$700 I they would be a tough sell.

Hmm A Re-Pro Frame, Re-Pro Beds, Re-Pro Doors, Re-Pro Front Clips (lets get a complete cab made (like the '47-'53) and we can have a "kit truck" :lol:

Dano69c10 03-12-2007 02:13 PM

Wow I was going to convert to a SWB because they didn't offer new LWB bedsides, but this might change my mind! Man I didn't think I'd live to see the day those would be repopped.
In my opinion, even if you made only the SWB frame rails I would buy those and use my LWB frame crossmembers.This would maybe keep the price down for those wanting to do a conversion and simplify shipping and storage issues.
Dano

CUSTOM/10 03-12-2007 04:17 PM

SWB 4x4 frames are the hardest to find and bring more money when you do find one. Maybe do a pole on this subject and see witch frame would be the most desirable and what people would be willing to pay for each type of frame.

Gary

70c10swb 03-12-2007 05:13 PM

You should get an award!:gi:

Any idea about the cowl itself? not just the cover?

gtomechanic 03-12-2007 07:33 PM

This is awsome.You are going to save the lives of thousands of trucks and maybe create some new ones. If you do the short frame,I would consider the straight rail 4WD version as it could probably be used for 2 &4 wheel drives. Dont forget about blazer bedsides and floors for all.