The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Cutting the dash (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=250988)

scooter122983 07-24-2007 09:59 PM

Cutting the dash

Dont worry I have not done it but the offer is on the table. I am curious as to why we should not cut our dash other than it takes away from the "origional looking dash". I just want a good stereo that sounds good and looks good. Is there a way that I can put in a new stereo keep the old head unit for looks and hook up the new stereo in a descret location other than the glove box. Im trying to stray from having to reach half across texas to change cd's without using a disc changer. I guess it sounds like im chasing a dream with this but im a different type of person.

AceX 07-25-2007 07:26 AM

Re: Cutting the dash

Well, for what you want, there's really no easy way of doing it. A changer or iPod would be the best route for you to go.

If cutting the dash doesn't bother you, then just do it.

72 cheyenne pdx 07-25-2007 12:05 PM

:agree: with ACEX

The only other thing I could recommend is at the bottom of the heater controls, under the dash, there are 2 screws. You can make a center console to attach to those screws and mount a stereo in there. I am currently making a console that will reach the floor to house my stereo and a few other things, like cup holders, and possibly other guages. Currently I have my stereo in a custom box under the seat on the driver's side. It works pretty good for putting in CDs, but isn't that great for changing the radio station. I highly recommend a remote control, which I don't, so I kind of have to read by Brail. The upside of this is, it is hidden in its current location.

Good Luck

JameslovesJammie 07-29-2007 11:43 AM

Oh, for Heaven's sake! Cut the dash!

I always find it hilarious that half the people who will tell you not to do it have modified their frame, or changed out the gauges, or tinted windows, or put on some '80's rims with BF Radial T/A's, or done a motor transplant, or converted to HEI, or switched carbs, or any number of things that make the truck "Not Original".

The only reason not to cut is if your truck is in mint condition, or restored back to 100% factory condition just as when it rolled off the assembly line. If it's a daily driver, I can't think of a reason NOT to have a cd player in it! Hmm...10 watts vs 200, AM vs AM/FM/CD/MP3/Satellite radio, 16 bit digital quality vs...ummm...none?

My truck isn't on the road yet, but as soon as it is roadworthy you can bet I will cut the dash in a heartbeat!

bagged74 07-29-2007 02:40 PM

I have recently cut a brand new replacement dash for a 70 chevelle SS, as well as a mint 63 impala with new dash trim.:lol: :lol: dont be scared......cut it, its just sheetmetal.

Brad 07-29-2007 04:09 PM

I sit on both sides of the fence on this one. My '67 has the dash cut out because it's not original, however my '68 is all original and it'll only be 'all original' once so I'll never cut the dash.
On a really nice original car/truck- DON'T CUT THE DASH, but on a beater that will be customized- hack away! Just be VERY careful as you can cut too much very easily.

boatpuller 08-01-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JameslovesJammie (Post 2283911)

I always find it hilarious that half the people who will tell you not to do it have modified their frame, or changed out the gauges, or tinted windows, or put on some '80's rims with BF Radial T/A's, or done a motor transplant, or converted to HEI, or switched carbs, or any number of things that make the truck "Not Original".

The only reason not to cut is if your truck is in mint condition, or restored back to 100% factory condition just as when it rolled off the assembly line. If it's a daily driver, I can't think of a reason NOT to have a cd player in it! Hmm...10 watts vs 200, AM vs AM/FM/CD/MP3/Satellite radio, 16 bit digital quality vs...ummm...none?

My truck isn't on the road yet, but as soon as it is roadworthy you can bet I will cut the dash in a heartbeat!

couldn't agree more.you got guys with slammed cnotchs and air ride worrying about cutting the dash.i think we all like to think were driving some rare ,future camaro or cuda.while, i wish that was the case i don't think it is.but hey,iv'e been wrong before.just get one of those stock looking ones you can hook an ipod into.and i'll see you guys on the lawn at peeble beach,:)

Mr79C10 08-02-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

NO DOUBT, Very well put, I agree HACK AWAY!:metal:

munroe 08-02-2007 07:39 PM

unless your planning on selling your truck at barrett jackson in 2050 and want a 100 point origional, cut it. your doin it for you. i was gonna leave mine and put the deck in my glove box, but then i thought about what a pain in the ass it would be and how much i didnt want it, and just did what pleased me

Mudder 08-04-2007 05:16 AM

Cut it!!!!! Carefully!!!!!

nates67 08-05-2007 12:42 AM

cut it but dont let like bestbuy or some one like that do it just had it done yesterday and i took it to a car audio place (if u live in or around anderson use norton car stereo) but that what u need to do:metal:

BADSAM 08-05-2007 09:12 PM

I'm no expert, but I think remote control units are available if it's not in you to cut that dash. Call Crutchfield at 1 888 955 6000. I bet they can help.

scooter122983 08-08-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

You've swayed me, as I dont have a care to restore it but I just want it to look nice and i think that a upgrade in the audio area would be a good change. Now what would be the best method to cut and then mount the stereo.
Does anybody have any pics of a stereo mounted on a cut dash.

kaycee 08-08-2007 10:29 PM

I cut mine with a dremel and used those cut-off wheels be careful and use safety glasses.I went through about 5 of those disc just go slow and let the blade cut it don't force it to much.I used the mounting sleeve to mark it ,marked the line with a pencil and haked away.

AceX 08-09-2007 03:59 AM

What it should look like after cutting:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...5/P1010251.jpg

Make sure that the bottom of the A/C controls and the top of the headunit are parallel. It won't look right if th'yre even the slightest bit off.

scooter122983 08-09-2007 05:49 PM

I guess I should have specified its a 71 c10.

Pyrotechnic 08-10-2007 05:32 PM

67-72's seem to be easier as far as cutting the dash. You have a piece of flat metal to work with and there is no trim to modify. 73-87's on the other hand...pretty tough if you don't want a hack job.

kris's66lwb 10-02-2007 09:41 PM

did mine on a 66 k20 best thing i did so far did it wiht a dremal uses 4-5 fiberglass cutting wheels and cuple grinding wheels

Pyrotechnic 10-04-2007 03:47 PM

In a 73-87, the typical DIN radio seems to be tough to do right. I've seen very clean installs of DIN radios in 73-87's, and I even had to clean up the hackjob that the previous owner of my 78 did and it turned out nice, however, in most cases if you just use the tabs in the DIN sleeve, you end up securing it to the plastic dash bezel. If you use one of the cover plates from an install kit, you cover up the screws that hold in the bezel. It just seems like you have to do some major deconstruction if you ever need to take the dash bezel off for any reason.

To mount a DIN radio to the metal underneath the dash like the stock shaft mount, you could make some brackets that to mount the DIN sleeve to the metal while still having the opening of the sleeve flush with the plastic bezel, then modify the bezel so the radio comes through it. This way, the bezel can be removed just like stock. If you look at the 89-91 Suburban/Crew Cab/Blazer, they use a GM DIN+1/2 radio in this manner from the factory.

Of course just securing the din sleeve into the plastic and using a coverplate looks great and is functional, it would be just my luck that something would go wrong with my dash lights or gauges and I'd have to take the bezel off.

Comparatively, 67-72's are much easier because you just gotta the metal in the dash and secure the DIN sleeve.

AlienYouth 10-05-2007 04:33 PM

i just got in from hackin mine!!!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...1005071621.jpg

-

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...005071620a.jpg

+

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...1005071620.jpg

= :)

raggedjim 10-05-2007 05:19 PM

See, that looks good. But the guy who had the truck I've got worked very hard to ensure mine would look like crap...

AlienYouth 10-05-2007 05:47 PM

lol, i broke my last 3 cutting disks for the dremel, so i got out the angle grinder :metal: luckily, that plastic trim covers up the imperfections of useing an angle grinder in that tiny space : )

68GMCCustom 10-05-2007 06:49 PM

The dash is cut on my '68 GMC and if it weren't...I'd have cut it myself.

Now my '78 Z28 on the other hand still has the old dual knob style radio...with a cassette player. And even though they made lots of them....as a stock matching numbers Z28 with the build sheet to prove it's real.... it won't be cut.

Iron-Butt 10-13-2007 05:46 AM

mine was already cut.

derrickc 10-15-2007 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres my idea, guy at futureshop did it, how does it look, you need a remote though.