The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   pretty tires (cleaners and coatings) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=255076)

rickf 08-22-2007 07:25 PM

pretty tires (cleaners and coatings)

Are there any tire cleaners and "shiners" that you find work better than others?

And more importantly, are there any to stay away from that do more harm than good?

1LoC10 08-22-2007 08:13 PM

Re: pretty tires (cleaners and coatings)

I have been meaning to order this and see how it is
\
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/images/0083.jpg

lowrollin70gmc 08-24-2007 02:51 AM

To clean, I'm personally a bleech-white (I believe that's how they mis-spell it) fan and always will be. It gets all the dirt and crap off, whitens letters and has been around forever and a day.

To shine, I have used too many to remember, but I always apply them with some sort of rag or foam pad to avoid overspray on wheels and fenders (and my driveway has spots from when I did spray it on). But I don't remember what brands work the best, most seem the same to me.

72armyswbtruck 08-24-2007 03:29 AM

been wanting to try that on one of my trucks some day. I used it when I was in the military, they wanted the HMMWV's super clean after field problems and this made them look super shinny, that and a can of silicone spray.

Shock_Me 08-24-2007 06:40 AM

I've been using a spray cleaner called "Mean Green" on my tires. Spray it on, scrub with a stiff brush, and hose off.

To shine, I like Turtle Wax Tire Gel. It's easy to apply, isn't too greasy, and lasts a couple of weeks. Can't seem to find it around here anymore though.

Just went to their site, (Turtle Wax). I think the tire gel is discontinued. Too bad, it works well. Probably because most people would rather spray than rub.

Pete

Mudder 08-25-2007 02:14 AM

Most of the tire shines will build up and turn brown over time. It is very hard to get off. I use some stuff I got from my body man that is industrial and after yu spray it on it turns black as it runs off. It will not hurt polished aluminum wheels. I use Stoners tire shine but i use very little and I apply it right before I wash the truck so that it is washed off right after it is applied. My tires stay nice and black pretty much all the time. They are not wet looking and they do not shine. I have a lot of tire.

BigDaddyDave 09-23-2007 03:24 PM

When I use to detail,for a living,we would mix 1oz of baby oil with the tire dressing,it acted as a binder worked great,and seemed to last longer than dressing alone.

Ivan D. 09-27-2007 03:46 PM

I use some Black Magic tire shine in a spray-bottle, thing lasts forever, it will eventually turn kinda-sorta brownish, but then again that can be contributed to all the dust my tires pick up too. I shine the truck tires once a month so really they're always nice and black, the tires I got on the car don't seem to hold shine more than 2 weeks no matter what so I only shine them when I want car to look pretty (for cruises and such). I wash tires with soapy water in a bucket, then wipe them down ith a terry towel, leave them alone till they're dry, then spray the Black Magic stuff and ait some 5 minutes, then I wipe the tires and wheels with another terry towel and they're all good!

Newtz67 06-27-2010 07:27 PM

Anyone else wanna post their favorites? I'm looking for something that won't collect dust too much, but last for a while.

Mordachai 06-27-2010 07:36 PM

I just use the westleys and no dressing. tires stay black and new looking for a good long whiles(and whites stay bright too). the wesleys usually requires no scrubbing, only if you let the grime build up. But stay downwind when spraying it - nasty stuff...

Mudder 06-29-2010 08:22 AM

Do Not get Westleys on aluminum rims, you will be sorry.

72BlckButy 06-30-2010 02:36 PM

Ruglyde works.

Alvin 06-30-2010 03:47 PM

I used a Meguiar's tire shine gel for several years with no browning. Recently I've been trying Stoner tire shine and am very impressed. I mainly wanted to switch from the messy sponge the gel applied with to something I could spray on a towel and wipe on.

oldblue1968chevy 07-02-2010 01:31 PM

anything I can get my hands on, my problem is i get brake dust like crazyy like 2 days!!!

409sbc pwr 07-03-2010 03:05 AM

when i had my lowered chev with easy tires to shine i used the armor all gell and it worked awesome lasted a longtime even in the rain and now that i have a lifted chev with toyos i really like the maguires hot shine in the aerosol can it has a nice shine and doesnt sling up the side of my truck witch drives me crazy so those are my favorites.

70cst 08-13-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 4066848)
Ruglyde works.

So where do you find this stuff?

OARNGESI 08-14-2010 02:08 AM

Has anyone used the new stuff that works on the rims and tires i think its mcguiers

Newtz67 08-14-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OARNGESI (Post 4138341)
Has anyone used the new stuff that works on the rims and tires i think its mcguiers

I haven't, but I just saw a commercial for something like that from Mothers.

GRX 08-14-2010 01:52 PM

"Magic Dressing" from Auto Magic.

http://www.automagic.biz/dressing.htm

72BlckButy 08-14-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 4138017)
So where do you find this stuff?

I think we picked it up at a local Car Quest store. We tried to located it at O'Reilly's, Advance, and NAPA with no luck, but we have a small (older) Car Quest shop that sold it in a gallon jug for like $15. It was recommended to me by tcb-1 for use on rubber products under the hood. The product is a rubber dressing and dries nice and clean without that wet look. An excellent product for me thus far.

70cst 08-15-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

GRX...
"Magic Dressing" from Auto Magic.
http://www.automagic.biz/dressing.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 4139658)
I think we picked it up at a local Car Quest store. We tried to located it at O'Reilly's, Advance, and NAPA with no luck, but we have a small (older) Car Quest shop that sold it in a gallon jug for like $15. It was recommended to me by tcb-1 for use on rubber products under the hood. The product is a rubber dressing and dries nice and clean without that wet look. An excellent product for me thus far.

Thanks all...I now have this in my 67-72 Truck Detail folder...:metal: