The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Power steering box question????? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=255352)

"67"StepSide 08-24-2007 07:38 PM

Power steering box question?????

Guys I have a non power steering 67 swb pickup frame. I'm putting a quick ratio power steering box on from ecs. I was told to heat the frame and hammer dimple to fit new box. Looks like I need to dent frame quite a bit and maybe trim front body mount. I'm a little nervous to hammer frame that much.
Has anyone done this? Is this the right way? If so does anyone have pictures of this done or can someone take some and post. help :confused: :confused:
thanks john

john 08-24-2007 07:49 PM

Re: Power steering box question?????

1 Attachment(s)
Heres what it looks like.

"67"StepSide 08-24-2007 08:05 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! was it hard to move it that much?

LockDoc 08-24-2007 10:04 PM

-
Everybody's mileage varies but I spaced mine out with spacers and new grade 8 bolts. No problems so far..... To me that's just as safe as heating the frame cherry red and beating a kink in it with a BFH.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

dan42 08-24-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 2325004)
-
Everybody's mileage varies but I spaced mine out with spacers and new grade 8 bolts. No problems so far..... To me that's just as safe as heating the frame cherry red and beating a kink in it with a BFH.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Is it binding the steering column at all? I take it your not coming straight down - the steering cloumn has to bend a little.
:confused:

jamie72 08-24-2007 10:20 PM

i would do it llike locdoc states, if it don`t work the way you like it, you can always beat on the frame, there is kits the you can buy with the spaces and bolts includes for this conversion, think the truck shop has them.
good luck..

shade67 08-24-2007 10:36 PM

I used the washer method also and mine works great!;)

Longhorn Man 08-24-2007 11:32 PM

shimming it out can cause column bearing wear, it can cause the bolts to snap due to added leverage, esp if you are doing any off roading at all (I know you are talking about a 2 wheel drive though) it can also cause the gear box to be not centered and wear the gears faster, and if a variable rate gear, can cause twitchy steering a dead spot just off center.

Bob Moore 08-25-2007 12:19 AM

A little heat and a medium "BFH" along with washer less than 1/16th thick should work just fine. I did mine with no heat and some washers back in 1993 and it is still fine after 40 to 50,000 miles. It is a '67 3/4T 2wd with a 454 and power disc brakes.

"67"StepSide 08-26-2007 09:26 AM

Yeah I'm just about to send frame to powder coat, so this week I'll get the fire wrench and BFH out and dimple it . It also looks to me like the body mount in front of the box needs to be trimmed some too. Just a side note some of you guys say on your 67 frame's that the frame is flat where the box goes. Not mine the bolt holes are on raised pads 1/4" or a little more up..?
I don't know why or what it means, Any ideas???:confused:

LockDoc 08-26-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "67"StepSide (Post 2326993)
Just a side note some of you guys say on your 67 frame's that the frame is flat where the box goes. Not mine the bolt holes are on raised pads 1/4" or a little more up..?

My GMC frame is that way....

LockDoc

ThatOneBlue67 08-26-2007 10:44 PM

I use spacers... no problems. I could understand freaking out if it was a 4x4 truck, but 2WDs? No bearings or anythign have goen out and all of these parts are used from the 'yard.

Scott68-93-97 08-27-2007 02:04 PM

mine was done by someone else with washers no problems so far the mod is old and still works but if I was to do it I would either notch and plate the frame or a little heat and a bfh, cause it does look kind of a git r dun mod

panhandler62 08-27-2007 02:13 PM

Is this just a 67 issue? I have a 68 C-20.. I just got a PS geer box from billsbowties but haven't even taken the old manual box off yet...

Just wondering if I need to prepare for this ...

dan42 08-27-2007 03:22 PM

As far as I know it is a one year problem - 1967. But I'm not sure about that. I think I'm gonna start with the spacers and go from there. I'm a little nervous pounding the crap out of an area on the frame that has been known to crack anyways. Besides, I don't think it would be a 5 minute deal - to get any kind of running start with the hammer you would have to take the outer and inner fenders off. Just my .02

c10addict 08-27-2007 03:47 PM

I had to cut the rad support mount on both my 67 and 68... No spacers needed though.. Used a box for a 72 from advanced auto parts. Good luck!

John Fabris 08-27-2007 03:58 PM

I heated up the section of frame on mine, and hammered it in. If you are going to spend a lot of time turning the wheels side to side while you are stopped, then yes, you may crack the frame. So far, I ahve only seen cracked frame in the 4x4s....

Luvlegs 08-27-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "67"StepSide (Post 2326993)
Just a side note some of you guys say on your 67 frame's that the frame is flat where the box goes. Not mine the bolt holes are on raised pads 1/4" or a little more up..?

NOT SURE EVERYONE CAUGHT THIS - would this not mean he doesn't have to dimple his frame as the raised bolt holes will push it out from the frame.... and would it also possibly mean it's not a 67 frame? Or are the raised areas there on the '67, just not out far enough?
Have you actually tried to mount it yet?

"67"StepSide 08-27-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvlegs (Post 2329106)
NOT SURE EVERYONE CAUGHT THIS - would this not mean he doesn't have to dimple his frame as the raised bolt holes will push it out from the frame.... and would it also possibly mean it's not a 67 frame? Or are the raised areas there on the '67, just not out far enough?
Have you actually tried to mount it yet?

luvlegs
Well for sure it is a 67 frame cuz my family bought it new. I have tried to mount it and it does not fit, it must be heated and hammered. The bolt holes are raised but for sure not enough. So here comes the HEAT!!:lol:

John Fabris 08-27-2007 06:53 PM

Here is a link to a post about this. CLICKY THIS and if you goto post #11, you will see pictures of what we are talking about....