The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shorten a long bed? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=256506)

Alan in Florida 09-01-2007 06:10 PM

Shorten a long bed?

I keep hearing people talking about shortening a long bed truck. Is this really practical? Has anyone out there done this sucessfully? Seems pretty scary to me!

krue 09-01-2007 07:18 PM

Re: Shorten a long bed?

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! Click on the index in my sig for a list of links, several of which show how to shorten the frame and bed.

cdowns 09-01-2007 08:54 PM

most attempts are failures and aborted projects // best way is to buy a bed and a short frame and swing the body and running gear to the short frame

Brad 09-01-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 2337899)
most attempts are failures and aborted projects //

Perhaps down there they are, but not here in the NW. I've got one myself and like it a whole lot better than before. I get waaaaaaaaay more compliments too- even with 9 colors at last count.

As far as the original question, it's not scary at all if done correctly. Do a search here and you'll see lot's of articles. You might even see my build thread.

LockDoc 09-01-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 2337899)
most attempts are failures and aborted projects // best way is to buy a bed and a short frame and swing the body and running gear to the short frame

Where in the world did you read that??? I don't remember reading one thread on this board about a frame shortening project going south on someone.... Not saying I didn't miss one but you would have to point it out to me. I did mine using Glocks method and it worked out great. I wouldn't hesitate to do another one...

LockDoc

Rokcrln 09-02-2007 02:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think it is just one of those urbin miths if you ask me!;)

It starts on post 195 here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=223158&page=8

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Ricks1971 09-02-2007 02:26 AM

I shortened 71 longbed 4X4 to a shortbed and It was pretty easy. I used these folks guide and frame inserts.
http://www.earlyclassic.com/tech.asp...20No!-Shortbed
Then I found a shortbed stepside ans it fit to a tee. My suggestion is the you get someone who has done some welding and fabrication work to do this right. welcome to the board!:welcome2:

LooseCannon 09-02-2007 01:32 PM

I've read many threads on successful long-short conversions and plan to shorten my long, once at that stage.

dan468 09-02-2007 01:51 PM

measure twice cut once...not that hard to me

powell72 09-03-2007 12:56 AM

It's done all the time in the big truck industry, as long as you know what you're doing it's perfectly fine.

wibilly 09-03-2007 02:13 AM

mesure it with a micromiter, mark it with a crayon and cut it with an axe. seriously i have a shortened 3/4 ton 4x4 with a shut box[not a shortened box} and a blazer frame with a shortened step box

jott_06 09-03-2007 07:58 AM

This is a good thread. I am actually thinking about doing this myself. There isnt really that much involved in it from what i can see. Cut 12 inches from the middle, 6 or 8(Ive heard both?) from the rear run some new brake line on the back, have your drive shaft shortened, and either shorten your bed or throw a short bed on it and be done. Seems pretty simple to me.

O'l Buck 09-03-2007 09:21 AM

P/O shortened my 72, did not do a very nice job, just cut it straight down and welded it back together then gloved it...looks like crap, but is still holding, at least for now. it does drive nice though.

energiesource 09-03-2007 11:11 AM

Are most of you talking about the bed or the frame?
Shortening the bed is pretty retarded, id just buy the panels for $400 a piece. as for the frame, well id shorten it over buying a swb frame. the odds of finding one up here for me are impossible

Rokcrln 09-03-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energiesource (Post 2339870)
Shortening the bed is pretty retarded,

I always thought I was retarded and now I know for sure. You know what they say, those who can, "do" and those who can't buy parts:lol:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

68GenIII 09-03-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energiesource (Post 2339870)
Shortening the bed is pretty retarded, id just buy the panels for $400 a piece. as for the frame, well id shorten it over buying a swb frame. the odds of finding one up here for me are impossible

Whats more retarded? Spending $800+ on parts (dont forget about the inner bed sides) Or do it for free?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=197851

Dingfodgy 09-03-2007 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=Rokcrln;2339957]I always thought I was retarded and now I know for sure. You know what they say, those who can, "do" and those who can't buy parts:lol:

Preach it Brotha! No truer words have been said. Any old bloke can go out and drop a grand on new bedsides. It takes a certain degree of intestinal fortitude to do a bunch of cutting, welding, grinding, bumping, grinding some more, welding some more, bumping some more, and on and on and on and on for what seems an eternity to take a LWB down to SWB!

BTW- I've followed project Pennicillin and Lemon Drop.....you are a metal magician- I totally envy your mad skills!

1971K54X4 09-03-2007 01:16 PM

:agree:

kombreeze 09-03-2007 05:59 PM

"Trucks" last week had an episode on how to shorten a longbed. They used the 64 long bed and they made it look easy. They really gave people a good understanding on how to and what to expect.

energiesource 09-03-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GenIII (Post 2340032)
Whats more retarded? Spending $800+ on parts (dont forget about the inner bed sides) Or do it for free?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=197851

well, the reason i see it to be 'retarded' is because my box is screwed up anyway, some chick hit it with her car, so i gotta buy new ones anyway, i guess if your truck is already done and you want to do it, then it would be a smart idea.

68GenIII 09-03-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energiesource (Post 2340408)
well, the reason i see it to be 'retarded' is because my box is screwed up anyway, some chick hit it with her car, so i gotta buy new ones anyway, i guess if your truck is already done and you want to do it, then it would be a smart idea.

Well thats a big piece of info you failed to mention:crazy:

WorkinLonghorn 09-03-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

I keep hearing people talking about shortening a long bed truck. Is this really practical?
No,it's not. You will end up with a "cute" truck that you can't use.

NONHOG 09-03-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn (Post 2340691)

:lol:

jamis 09-04-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn (Post 2340691)
Quote:
I keep hearing people talking about shortening a long bed truck. Is this really practical?

Not True
I half dozen loose bowling balls inside a short bed will pick up less momentum in stop and go traffic in a short bed then in a long bed. And less momentum equates to less force that equates too less damage. So the short bed is more practical.

71tahoe 09-04-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamis (Post 2341644)
Not True
I half dozen loose bowling balls inside a short bed will pick up less momentum in stop and go traffic in a short bed then in a long bed. And less momentum equates to less force that equates too less damage. So the short bed is more practical.

I've never had bowling balls loose in the bed of my truck. Aparently I've had smaller stuff but it wouldn't stay in because of a warped tailgate. I know this only because someone told me I lost my marbles when I bought that truck.