The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Please define what is a SUPER trucK? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=257803)

70cst 09-10-2007 10:06 PM

Please define what is a SUPER trucK?

I have heard the term SUPER truck. Soooooooo I have a question. What is a SUPER Truck? How do you define a Super Truck? What makes a SUPER Truck? Does a SUPER Truck have to be Factory Optioned or can one make a SUPER Truck? Does it have to be a BB number matching fully optioned truck? And where does the 4x4 come into play? I need answers!!!!! :confused:

MT1972cheyenne 09-10-2007 10:23 PM

Re: Please define what is a SUPER trucK?

A "Super" is what the "Cheyenne Super" is referred to as. The Super consists of the Cheyenne package, plus woodgrain on the dash, a houndstooth cloth seat, and a SUPER emblem below the Cheyenne fender emblems.

Longhorn Man 09-10-2007 10:26 PM

actually, the woodgrain is on the cheyenne package and in the super... the super adds a bit of bright work on the tailgate latch(fleet side only) upper and lower trim (again, fleet side bed only) full guages (tach still optional) and cloth seats.

wibilly 09-10-2007 10:28 PM

didn't they also have a chrome tailgate handel?

70cst 09-10-2007 10:29 PM

So where does that leave the CST? I assume the CST would be similiar to the Cheyenne Super :confused:

special-K 09-10-2007 10:35 PM

Didn`t only the`72 CheyenneSupers have the stainless tailgate latch cover?Only CheyenneSupers had woodgrain dash pieces.The CheyenneSuper included upper side moulding on solid paint trucks.All others only had it with deluxe two-tone.

uncle 09-10-2007 10:37 PM

Cheyenne/ Cheyenne Super started in 71 even though it will still be listed sometimes as a CST on the option sheet. Woodgrain is only on the doorpanels on the Cheyenne. I (think) the 71 Cheyenne Super had a chromed handle and the 72 had the cover.

wibilly 09-10-2007 10:57 PM

we just pulled a super in to the yard that didn't even have ac

special-K 09-11-2007 07:43 AM

Yup,as mentioned in post #3.
The definition of a Super Truck:

When planet Cheyenne reached it`s peril,one of their young was sent to earth to save us from the same doom brought about by evil and corruption.
This youth grew up and displayed super natural powers.Aside from outlasting Fords and Dodges while looking hanesome,it could leap tall buildings with a single bound,had x-ray vision,and the stregth of 10 trucks.
LOOK!!...It`s a bird,it`s a plane,no....IT`S SUPERTRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

68Stepbed 09-11-2007 07:52 AM

:lol:

jorgensensc 09-11-2007 08:18 AM

Don't forget about the headliner trim ring. That is about the best give away that a truck is a cheyenne super. my black one had no power brakes, no a.c., but did have wood grain and pwr steering, gauges, but no tach. The seat was vinyl scroll, but I don't know if it was original with a cloth seat.
Shawn

Longhorn Man 09-11-2007 02:47 PM

I double checked about the woodgrain on the dash... you're right. Only on the super.
The headliner trim was installed on all CST (mid 69 and up) or cheyenne or super trucks.
Those 3 options (actually only 2 options if you go by RPO codes) was the ONLY way to get a factory headliner... and always with trim.

71 super 09-11-2007 02:55 PM

You could get the regular cheyenne as a solid with the upper chrome but it was listed as option- had a blue 72 with upper chrome. Super package was introduced in April 71 and included houndstooth interior (cloth seats bench only- buckets had vinyl) full wheel covers, bright tailgate latch, wood grained interior treatment, upper and lower trim and special badges (super) other than that anything else was up for grabs- people have the misconception that all had ac, tilt, tach and big block- many were actually small block trucks and have magically transformed into the mythical big block all original truck.

Longhorn Man 09-11-2007 03:06 PM

and the acc guages too.

sameyrasmea72 09-11-2007 06:52 PM

The full wheel covers were an option even on the supers.

Longhorn Man 09-11-2007 07:02 PM

but DID come with chrome hub caps though.

70cst 09-11-2007 07:12 PM

Ok....what I am hearing that a "Cheyenne Super" is an option package for the 71-72 trucks. But...they could be sparse of any options? :confused: I would think the term "Super" then is a generic term for any factory fully optioned BB truck? These would be the trucks whether they are 2x4 or 4x4 trucks that are loaded with factory options. But then you could not get a factory BB 4x4 so a 350 V-8 fully optioned truck could be considered a “Super” truck? These are the trucks which seem to be increasing in value at a rate significantly faster than the trucks with much fewer options. This is getting way to complicated. :jdp: Why use the “Super” truck term anyway. :banghead:

Longhorn Man 09-11-2007 07:33 PM

with the exception of the custom camper, all the option packages were mostly just trim stuff.
I saw an inline 250, 3 speed on the column 72 cheyenne super for sale here in town a few years ago. manual steering, radio delete, no A/C... pretty much a stripper with trim.

jorgensensc 09-11-2007 07:46 PM

My '56 Bel Air came with absolutely no options except Bel Air trim. No radio, standard heater (as opposed to deluxe heater), no pwr brakes, no pwr steering, straight six with 3 on the tree, nothing extra. Back then it was all about the trim options, not the powertrain and extras.
SHawn

BB72CHEVKT 09-11-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:[The headliner trim was installed on all CST (mid 69 and up) or cheyenne or super trucks.

My 69 has headliner but my 72 cst dlx does not?

67_C-30 09-11-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 2354020)
Quote:[The headliner trim was installed on all CST (mid 69 and up) or cheyenne or super trucks.

My 69 has headliner but my 72 cst dlx does not?

A Custom/10 Deluxe and a CST/10 are two different packages.

special-K 09-11-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 2353815)
with the exception of the custom camper, all the option packages were mostly just trim stuff.
I saw an inline 250, 3 speed on the column 72 cheyenne super for sale here in town a few years ago. manual steering, radio delete, no A/C... pretty much a stripper with trim.

A stripper with trim.Hmmm..................(picture Homer Simpson with a donut)

Longhorn Man 09-11-2007 11:27 PM

custom delux is bottom of the line in 72, lowest package avalible. only CST/Cheyenne/cheyenne supers had them

*EDIT* I think I see the part that has you a little confused, you called it a cst dlx... it's a custom delux... CST is Custom Sport Truck. Which that option ended in the truck line with the 70 model anyways.

sameyrasmea72 09-12-2007 01:46 AM

[QUOTE=Longhorn Man;2354295]custom delux is bottom of the line in 72, lowest package avalible.

In 72, custom was the lowest package available I think.

special-K 09-12-2007 05:47 AM

We should just list all the models through the years to end the jumbledness.It`s even got Long Manhorn mixed up:lol:.
CustomDeluxe started in`71 as the mid-grade and a forth level was added...CheyenneSuper.Custom became the base in`71 when C/10(etc)was dropped.
See how I do...
67-70:C/10,Custom/10,CST/10...(yeah yeah,CustomCamper.CustomCamper/10 name plate added in`69 as an option)
71/72:Custom/10,CustomDeluxe/10,Cheyenne/10,CheyenneSuper/10,and CheyenneSuperDuper/100...(yeah yeah,Highlander promotion package on CustomDeluxe late`72)