The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   front coilovers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=266485)

oldspowered67C10 11-14-2007 05:52 PM

front coilovers

5 Attachment(s)
I havent posted on this forum for a long time but I figured some people might be interested in my latest project. Im installing adjustable coilovers in the front end of my 67 SWB. The coilovers are both heigth and dampening adjustable and theres a wide variety of spring rates. Anyway heres some progress pics:

camaro__thunder 11-15-2007 10:48 AM

Re: front coilovers

nice, who made the brackets?

gringoloco 11-15-2007 12:09 PM

Very nice. Could even use these for Shockwaves...

lowrollin70gmc 11-15-2007 02:53 PM

That'll get her done. Nice fab work, looking forward to see it bolted together and the stance you set.

ucmydust68 11-15-2007 07:03 PM

this would be a nice kit, are you going to offer it or is it already offered??

entourageguy 11-15-2007 08:06 PM

Neat work.
I'm assuming the camera is not set for the correct date or else you did this five years ago and just got around to posting them:rolleyes:

Brian ...:cool:

oldspowered67C10 11-16-2007 05:12 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming the camera is not set for the correct date or else you did this five years ago and just got around to posting them
Yeah, the camera date is off(gotta fix that), I just finished welding that side up on Sunday night.
Quote:

this would be a nice kit, are you going to offer it or is it already offered??
I made the brackets myself and Ill be modifying a set of performance online lower control arms to accept the coilovers. I made up all the parts using a CNC plasma cutter and AutoCAD so all the parts would be easy to reproduce but I wouldnt want to sell them unless I was absolutely sure it wont break.
Quote:

That'll get her done. Nice fab work, looking forward to see it bolted together and the stance you set.
I had airbags on it before and it sat with the front crosmember about 3 inches off the ground(low, but not that low) and with the coilovers I chose, with the bumpstops removed, the coilovers should be almost totally compressed when the crossmember is on the ground. I think the biggest advantage is the adjustability factor, theres a huge variety of spring rates and the shocks themselves have adjustable compression and rebound dampening.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments and Ill post more pics as the work gets done.

SCOTI 11-16-2007 01:46 PM

Very cool & a nice alternative. Post up pics once it's all installed so we can see ride height & give us your 'seat-of-the-pants' opinion (even though it might be a little biased ;) ).

SanitysBane 11-16-2007 06:42 PM

Were did you get thoes A-arms?

oldspowered67C10 11-17-2007 05:44 AM

Quote:

Were did you get thoes A-arms?
I got both the uppers and lowers from performance online. The uppers are longer than stock to give more positive camber and supposedly the upper balljoint is moved back to give more positive caster.

oldspowered67C10 12-24-2007 12:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the lower arms mocked up so I figured Id post some more pics. I hope to get the arms gusseted and finish welded this weekend. The pics are in full droop and nearly full compression.

gringoloco 12-24-2007 08:40 AM

Nice! She's gonna be loooowww, eh?

oldspowered67C10 12-24-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Nice! She's gonna be loooowww, eh?
Yeah, at least thats the plan. When I was using those lower arms w/ airbags the lower springmount would drag on the ground so hopefully that will no longer happen.

67Cowboy 12-25-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldspowered67C10 (Post 2448015)
Yeah, the camera date is off(gotta fix that), I just finished welding that side up on Sunday night.

I made the brackets myself and Ill be modifying a set of performance online lower control arms to accept the coilovers. I made up all the parts using a CNC plasma cutter and AutoCAD so all the parts would be easy to reproduce but I wouldnt want to sell them unless I was absolutely sure it wont break.

I had airbags on it before and it sat with the front crosmember about 3 inches off the ground(low, but not that low) and with the coilovers I chose, with the bumpstops removed, the coilovers should be almost totally compressed when the crossmember is on the ground. I think the biggest advantage is the adjustability factor, theres a huge variety of spring rates and the shocks themselves have adjustable compression and rebound dampening.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments and Ill post more pics as the work gets done.

I'm looking to build a set myself. That's how I found this thread, I was looking at what was available and what other were doing. I want to add at least 3" of lift and have my uppers adjustable so I can correct the rake and caster. I would love to get the Auto_CAD drawings in a pdf. file or have it burned on to a CD !?!?!

fastbagged68 12-29-2007 09:16 AM

What is your ride hieght going to be? How many inches off the ground is your frame going to be?

oldspowered67C10 12-30-2007 01:07 AM

Quote:

What is your ride hieght going to be? How many inches off the ground is your frame going to be?
I havent Z'd the frame or sectioned the crossmember so the frame will still be pretty high, Im shooting to have the front crossmember between 2 and 3 inches off the ground at ride heigth.

Quote:

I would love to get the Auto_CAD drawings in a pdf. file or have it burned on to a CD !?!?!
If you dont have Acad then the files wont really be any use to you but if youd like, assuming it works right and I decide that its not something that I consider to be marketable, I can send you copies of the original pencil drawings.

67Cowboy 01-01-2008 11:11 AM

Girlfriend teaches AutoCad at university so that's no problem also my Steel supply that would do the cut outs for me has it also. Mainly I'd like to have something that the measurements have already been done and I can tweek it to work on my application and weld it up the way I like it.;)

PA-IndianRider 01-02-2008 09:21 AM

In case you have not seen any of the posts I have made recently... I'm going in the "opposite" direction everyone here is going.. I'm building our C10 with a '60's gasser look... .... so I'm looking for a way to "raise" the frontend rather than drop it. It would be nice to have the frontend adjustable from where it is now (3" drop) to ???" .... whatever it takes to get that bad-ass gasser stance. Looks like a coil-over setup like this would work for me???? What ya think???? Thanks ....

1LoC10 01-21-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA-IndianRider (Post 2509619)
In case you have not seen any of the posts I have made recently... I'm going in the "opposite" direction everyone here is going.. I'm building our C10 with a '60's gasser look... .... so I'm looking for a way to "raise" the frontend rather than drop it. It would be nice to have the frontend adjustable from where it is now (3" drop) to ???" .... whatever it takes to get that bad-ass gasser stance. Looks like a coil-over setup like this would work for me???? What ya think???? Thanks ....

Id just do a straight axle

SanitysBane 01-21-2008 03:34 PM

The biggest problem with raising the front of the truck is going to be the ball joint and tie rod angle. I say straight axle, just keep it simple.

PA-IndianRider 01-21-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanitysBane (Post 2539335)
I say straight axle, just keep it simple.

The more I keep digging into the alternatives of using a straight front axle the more I keep ending up "back" to my original plans to use one.

Initially I thought using "taller" springs or a "coil over" setup would accomplish the same task as the straight axle but without it's "historical" problems.

Then more & more people I have talked to and chatted with on this forum they have helped me remember a "few things" I have over-looked in my "dream list" planning.

Any (& all) suspension mods come with their own set of problems. Whether it be to "lower" or to "raise" a suspension .... especially when you're talking about "significant" alterations like a "gasser stance" would be.

Sure I could use an "adjustable setup" or "airbags" for raising the front end to the "gasser height" but then one look underneath the truck and the other "important" part of "customizing" any vehicle to a "vintage look" like the one I want is gone..... how it looks.... .

There is NO doubt the "straight axle" setup not only gets the job done but also has the "look" that shouts "hot rod".

Another thing that was also mentioned here was back when (aka.. "in the day") many of us who were either using a staright front axle or "any" other suspension setup (front or rear) very often we did it with "limited funds" and/or used parts just to "git 'er done".

Nowadays we have more "hot rod smarts" and tons or "new parts" and custom parts (along with a few more bucks) than we did when we drove our "rods" to the high school dance on Saturday night.... and on Sunday morning put on the "slicks" and up-capped the exhaust cutouts at the drag strip (with some street racing in between :metal:)

So I am going to keep looking into a "straight axle" setup as my first plan. The "World of Wheels" custom car show is in a few weeks here in Pittsburgh and I know of a few "street machines" that are using a straight axle setup that will be there. No doubt my camera will be ready and I'll be spending time talking with rodders who have done this already.

More about this as time goes on..... 10 degrees outside with the wind howling.... still gots "lots" of Winter ahead... ; > (

And like "many" others on this forum I also have LOTS of work to do before I have to decide on what to do with the front suspension.... chopping the roof 5 inches - roll cage - fitting the one piece fiberglass "tilt" front end and making a "fiberglass bumper/rollpan" (???? that could be FUN!!!) - replacing the engine with a "383 stroker" just for "starters"....ha!!! :lol:

Thanks again for the words of advice & encouragment .... John

oldspowered67C10 01-24-2008 07:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Heres the latest progress, lower arms are welded, gusseted and painted. I hope to get them installed this weekend but you know how that goes. Anyways, heres the pics.

Wild83C10 01-24-2008 11:09 PM

What coil overs are you using (size, P/N, ect)? I'm looking to do something similiar, I'm not so much worried about going that low, but I like the adjustability and I want to relocate my shocks anyway. Thanks

jkaylor68gmc 01-24-2008 11:50 PM

Those look great! I can't wait to hear how it handles!

greasy68 01-26-2008 12:26 AM

Is it worth going to a coilover setup on a stock ride height truck? I like the stock look but the handling in my truck leaves alot to be desired. I'm not looking for Indy car handling just an improvement(less body roll and not having to slow to 10mph to take a turn). I already have a front sway bar but everything else is stock. I get spoiled driving my late model charger but I love driving my truck too.