The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   S10 S15 Luv Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   mileage and other questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=273197)

old Rusty C10 01-08-2008 06:09 PM

mileage and other questions

if i were to buy one of the last generation S10 pickups with the four wheel drive what kind of mileage city and highway could i expect?
Another question is did they make a manual four wheel drive system in the s 10 pickup and what was the last year for that?
Finally if yall own one what motor do you have in it and are you pleased performance wise

Mudder 01-08-2008 07:33 PM

Re: mileage and other questions

O2 ZR2 runs great. Best I have done with gas is 17mpg. My 02 2wheel drive got a little better than 20.

Mickey_D 01-08-2008 10:14 PM

My 93 with a 4.3L Vortec (with the spider TBI) has the exact same transfer case shifting pattern as my 90 Silverado had. Manual shifter on the floor with the pathetic thermal actuating hubs on the front axle. I say pathetic because when you most need them at 40 below, they take forever to engage. Stupid idea to use in an environment that can and will hit 40 below on a regular basis 6 months of the year EVERY year, but nobody ever said automotive engineers were the brightest monkeys to ever pick up a pencil...

Mine is running like utter crap right now. There's obviously a vacuum leak somewhere that I can't find, either my fuel pressure regulator (new) or my fuel pump (original) is toast, probably needs a tune up in the worst way, and I should run a can or two of Seafoam through it just for ****s and giggles. But I got between 10 and 12 out of it before replacing the regulator. Haven't been able to drive it enough to get a mileage reading since.

Now, I've been told I have a 4L60E transmission, but it certainly shifts, sounds, and reacts exactly like the 700R4 I had in the Silverado. And the transfer case acts the same as well, even to the point that the shifter clicks in to 4H, but you've got to give a little bit more of a tug to actually engage the gears for the front axle. It also makes the identical low volume high pitch whine that the Silverado did, so I'm leaning towards it having the same transfer case.

Hope that info helps in your quest, Bob. Any more info needed, please don't hesitate to ask. Unless of course, my novels of replies get monotonous (as I've been told I do when I'm talking :hm:.....).

4bynut 01-09-2008 07:02 AM

I have a 1996 GMC Sonoma 4x4. It has the 4.3, 4L60E auto combo and gets 16MPG. I expected closer to 20MPG when i bought it. I've been considering replacing the 4.3 with a 350 but i want to keep it fuel injected. I just had to have the trans rebuilt so i'm considering getting a 350 vortec motor, ECM, and wiring harness out of a 1/2 ton with a auto trans and swapping it. I think with the extra power and the lite little truck it should actually do better on MPG. I might be wrong on that since i have a heavy right foot LOL. Jason

old Rusty C10 01-11-2008 04:45 PM

ive been searching ebay and cl for one something i can get a couple of years out of... one truck is a 2wd 4 cylinder the other is a 4.3 4wd im leaning towards the 4wd . its got an electrical transfer case and that kinds scares me

RANDYC 01-12-2008 09:18 AM

98 4.3v6 15 to 16 mpg, electric 4x4 120,00 no problems yet, many other repairs