The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Got lucky this weekend (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=275287)

1969K10 01-23-2008 04:19 AM

Got lucky this weekend

So, figured I'd post up about this. When it's cold, I almost always park my truck in the garage. Makes cold morning starts easier! Anyway, was working on the bike, draining the tank & heating w/ K1. The gas fumes from the tank of the bike got into the K1 heater, and things in my garage went ka-boom! Me & the g/f got out unscathed. since the truck wasn't in the garage like it should have been, she's OK. The bike is another story, as well as most of my tools. It also looks like a bunch of heirlooms from when my grandparents passed got damaged beyond repair.
I might have pics later this week. It's kinda difficult for me to spend much time in the garage right now. but I meet the insurance agent & damage repair people tomorrow...

hilbilly 01-23-2008 04:24 AM

Re: Got lucky this weekend

Luck you, good to still have ya' around! lose any eyebrow or arm hair?

72BlckButy 01-23-2008 07:42 AM

Glad to hear that you and the GF made it out safely.

1969K10 01-23-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilbilly (Post 2541537)
Luck you, good to still have ya' around! lose any eyebrow or arm hair?

I got out with no markings. My g/f has (2) small sections of her hair that got singed (sp) and has that burnt hair smell. She might be able to get away with a trim. she's dreading her appointment tomorrow and what she's going to look like after it... she just got her hair long enough to pony-tail it and is pissed about it! LOL! it's funny now...

Bishops Trucks 01-23-2008 09:42 PM

Glad to here you guys got out unhurt.

vtblazer 01-24-2008 07:31 AM

Your right, you got lucky. :jdp:

Have anything planned for an encore?

Kidding, really glad to hear your both okay.

68,69 K20 01-24-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1969K10 (Post 2542877)
I got out with no markings. My g/f has (2) small sections of her hair that got singed (sp) and has that burnt hair smell. She might be able to get away with a trim. she's dreading her appointment tomorrow and what she's going to look like after it... she just got her hair long enough to pony-tail it and is pissed about it! LOL! it's funny now...

Glad you both made it ok, better hope your g/f's hair appointment goes well, or you may end up sleeping in that garage :lol:, My wife would kill me if I did anything to damage her hair, Good Luck!!!!

1969K10 01-25-2008 11:28 PM

So, they are waiting on me to catalouge EVERYTHING that was in the garage that got damaged... That's going to take some time! Once that is done, they are going to replace the sub-floor upstairs on (2) rooms. clean top to bottom, end to end. then, the entire basement & garage are going to be painted and sealed! My garage is going to look so good, I might not want to work in it and get it dirty again - LOL!
BTW - the new doo on the g/f looked pretty good yesterday, after leaving the salon. I'm intriged to see what it looks like done by the g/f, not that she's bad at it, but it'll be different (less poofy).

Because of the fire mechanics, (HOT & fast) very few things if any are completly gone. there is some kind of remnant of everything. so atleast I'll be able to find it, so that I can stand around scratching my brain trying to figure out what it was before the fire!!!

Yukon Jack 01-26-2008 01:11 AM

Man, I'm so glad you both didn't get hurt! Lucky!!!!

Post up some pics of the garage, I want to see!

1969K10 01-29-2008 09:08 PM

spent the weekend going thru everything thing... what a PITA, 9-1/2 pages in a notebook. Anyway, the g/f should get the pics off her camera this week, so I should be able to get pics by the end of this week...

some of the wacky:
found a candle that is not melted, and ready to burn.
I had several sets of bungee cords hanging on the wall. You can see the different stages of damage to them. the ones closest to the fire only have the metal hooks left, and by the far end of the wall, they are fine. some have all the strands busted out, some just melted.
The tractor is fine, but the seat crumbles if you touch it.
My buddy was storing his goldwing in my garage for the winter. after the fire, it has all this stringy stuff on it. 3 days of scratching my head trying to figure out what it was, I finally looked up, and there is my fishing net, with no netting...
My tool box took quite a hit. Everything in the top is melt city. The stuff in the top drawer is the same. The next drawer was screwdrivers. Most of the handles are melted. Next drawer down is pliers, lost 4-5 due to melted handles. next down is allen wrenches and wierd tools. most of them are fine. next is the wrench drawer, no problems there & the bottom drawer of the top section is sockets & drivers 1/4" & 3/8". They were all in a plastic holding case they came in. the case is MELTED and took forever to pry apart. and the anti-slip stuff in the bottom of the drawers is melted in every drawer. Then the bottom section of my roll-around, the stuff inside is all perfectly in-tact. But both sections, the tool box itself took one heck of a beating! no paint, warped edges & pulling the drawers in & out is awful difficult & they screech...

Oh well, that's enough. pics when I get them.

1969K10 01-30-2008 01:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Got some pix

1969K10 01-30-2008 01:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
tool box pics

70rs/ss 01-30-2008 04:55 AM

Holy cow that got warm in there, lucky you're here to write about it!!

62 short step 01-30-2008 08:01 AM

Damn!!! Glad yall are OK!!

69halfton 01-31-2008 02:02 AM

that was a HUGE explosion. what happened though? you weren't really super clear about what blew up?

i want to know...becasue i dont want it to happen to me :lol:

Big J 01-31-2008 02:24 AM

Thats insane. Thank God you both came out of it mostly unscathed. Did the fire burn itself out real quick or did you or the F.D. put it out?

Yukon Jack 01-31-2008 02:43 AM

That's wild how much damage there was, but yet, some things don't look bad. Were you and your girlfriend actually in the garage when this happened? Amazing.

1969K10 01-31-2008 11:30 PM

Not only were we in the garage, g/f was between the bike & the K1 heater! It was a HOT and FAST fire.
Because of a tarp that I had down, and closing the door between the garage & basement on our way thru, the fire pretty much suffocated itself by the time the FD got there.
Yeah, weirred things happened. We found a candle on the floor that is not melted at all... Anything along the ceiling of the garage is toasted, and the lower you get, the less damage you find. Some things just couldn't resist the heat and combusted like boxes, the sheets covering the parts of an antique motorcycle, and the boxes to anything that was still in a box, but more times than not, the things in those boxes are OK. I had a 6" DA sander that was on a shelf in a box, and it melted a little...
The town I live in has a volunteer FD. I watched all of them get in their trucks, drive to the station, wait on enough people to show to bring out the tanker. By the time they got to my house, it was basically out. They just had to put out hot spots and the like.
Had the tarp not been down, I probably would have lost the majority of my house! As it is, the area above where the fire was, is my back bedroom & bathroom. They are replacing the sub-flooring in those rooms. The beams for the floor are native lumber 4X6's, so they are going to scrape them clean and then paint & seal them like the rest of that area.

Yukon Jack 01-31-2008 11:40 PM

Amazing! Just amazing.

PanelDeland 02-02-2008 12:55 PM

Glad no one was hurt and that you are insured.Any plans to upgrade your shop heat?If not you might want to upgrade your insurance.

1969K10 02-03-2008 03:21 AM

Yeah, I was supposed to have a wood stove in the garage for this winter, but a broken back this summer & the 8 weeks w/o any income really put a hold on spending money on anything that wasn't mandatory.