The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A/C air shut off valve (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=283860)

Luis_gz06 03-20-2008 02:48 AM

A/C air shut off valve

When this valve in the cowl panel closes, does the inside kick panel vent opens? Thanks, Luis.

eightbanger 03-20-2008 03:18 AM

Re: A/C air shut off valve

Wow spooky! I was going to post this question as well, I noticed this the other day when I fitted my new vacuum valve under the hood and as you say the door under the cowl closes and the vent kick panel opens....it can't be right, anyone know if this is correct?

john 03-20-2008 03:26 AM

Just a guess, but wouldn't that be changing from outside air to inside air? It has to get air from somewhere.

eightbanger 03-20-2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john (Post 2634606)
Just a guess, but wouldn't that be changing from outside air to inside air? It has to get air from somewhere.

Yes the lever on the heater control is set to inside when this happens but when I move the selector lever to outside air the kick panel vent closes again but the vent door under the cowl still remains shut, and all my vacuum valves have been replaced so they are working fine.

JimKshortstep4x4 03-20-2008 03:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For the coldest AC setting the vent door opens, the water valve closes, and the air door closes on the 70-72 trucks with the two port vacuum switch. Here is a schematic of the two port vacuum switch that I believe you have on your truck. (I can post the three port switch if for some reason your truck has one).

meekdog 03-20-2008 04:08 AM

Where exactly is the control head vacuum switch (as shown on daigram) located in the truck? Also would a problem with that switch be responsible for allowing outside air to flow in through the A/C vents when moving, but not when stopped, even if the heater/A/C is switched off?

eightbanger 03-20-2008 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meekdog (Post 2634675)
Where exactly is the control head vacuum switch (as shown on daigram) located in the truck? Also would a problem with that switch be responsible for allowing outside air to flow in through the A/C vents when moving, but not when stopped, even if the heater/A/C is switched off?

On the back of the heater control panel, you have to drop the unit out to get a good look at it but you can see it if you remove the ashtray...not sure on the other question,sorry.

eightbanger 03-20-2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4 (Post 2634654)
For the coldest AC setting the vent door opens, the water valve closes, and the air door closes on the 70-72 trucks with the two port vacuum switch. Here is a schematic of the two port vacuum switch that I believe you have on your truck. (I can post the three port switch if for some reason your truck has one).

Thanks for that JimKshortstep4x4 I understand it now, couldn't get my head round it before, still unclear though when that door under the cowl opens cause whatever setting I have this thing it's always shut.

JimKshortstep4x4 03-20-2008 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
eightbanger,

There should be a spring on the door to open it up when the vacuum is off. Here is a pic of the spring, (the upper end of the spring is hooked to the wrong hole in the picture).

jayharrell 03-20-2008 04:58 AM

Think of it like a Max setting, or recirculate. It just shuts off all out side air and recirculates then air in the cab.

eightbanger 03-20-2008 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4 (Post 2634746)
eightbanger,

There should be a spring on the door to open it up when the vacuum is off. Here is a pic of the spring, (the upper end of the spring is hooked to the wrong hole in the picture).

Man thats the problem right there I have no such spring I would never have known....Thanks mate another nuisance ticked off the list.

Thanks everyone.

tqlspec 06-01-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4 (Post 2634746)
eightbanger,

I too am missing this spring. do you know anyone who sells this spring? I'm sure I could use a generic spring if I knew the length and pull strength of the spring. Any idea? I'm considering modifying with a 12V door lock actuator to replace the vacuum.

Photoferg 08-04-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbanger (Post 2634689)
On the back of the heater control panel, you have to drop the unit out to get a good look at it but you can see it if you remove the ashtray...not sure on the other question,sorry.

I am looking for a "Control head Vacuum Switch" that is missing on the back of my heater control. Cany anyone help me with a part number or resource to purchase one? Thanks, Bob

landy 08-07-2014 12:11 AM

Try these vendors:

http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/CB/t.aspx

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/

picklito 08-07-2014 11:14 PM

I don't have that spring, either! NEVER HEARD OF IT!! Thanks so much!

FirstOwner69 08-08-2014 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tqlspec (Post 2746438)
I too am missing this spring. do you know anyone who sells this spring? I'm sure I could use a generic spring if I knew the length and pull strength of the spring. Any idea? I'm considering modifying with a 12V door lock actuator to replace the vacuum.

Here's a picture of an original spring. It is very "stout". They are almost always missing due to their location and rust. They are not reproduced as far as I know.

CUSTOM/10 08-08-2014 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Go to your local hardware store, they usually have an assortment of springs, I found one similar to the one Firstowner posted. Also note the one in the first picture, is hooked to the wrong hole in the cowl. It should be in the hole to the right that's a little further away from the windshield. At least that's what I was told.

Gary

FirstOwner69 08-08-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 (Post 6793439)
Go to your local hardware store, they usually have an assortment of springs, I found one similar to the one Firstowner posted. Also note the one in the first picture, is hooked to the wrong hole in the cowl. It should be in the hole to the right that's a little further away from the windshield. At least that's what I was told.

Gary

I agree. That is the correct hole for the spring.

Bigdav160 08-08-2014 11:07 AM

Thanks for posting the pics. I went and checked and my spring is missing. Off the hardware store I go

WhiteWhale 08-08-2014 03:44 PM

subscribed

swclassics 08-09-2014 12:32 AM

Great info. Thanks!

El Campo 08-16-2014 01:25 PM

I like this thread. It is very informative. Subscribed for future reference

72 K20 04-26-2015 02:11 PM

I learned something new today about the presence of this spring and the fact that I don't have one ! Thank You for the info !!!!
Tom

Andy4639 04-26-2015 08:10 PM

If your not a puriest the best mod you can do is close off that cowl vent completely! Seal it up tight and never close the passenger side kick panel vent again.
I'm not joking either. Your AC will be cooler and you want have all these problems with it anymore.One of the best mods I ever did,
:chevy:

mechanicalman 04-26-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis_gz06 (Post 2634523)
When this valve in the cowl panel closes, does the inside kick panel vent opens? Thanks, Luis.

Max A/C = recirculate.