The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "klunking" when I turn.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=286441)

elektrik 04-06-2008 01:31 AM

"klunking" when I turn....

Can anyone clue me into the seriousness of this problem? Basically here's what happens:

I'm driving along, and I slow down to a stop, to turn right, for example. I "creep" forward without fully releasing the brake and I FEEL a sort of "klunk" when I let the brake off to creep forward...

Sorry for the technical jargon, but I'm not much of a mechanic =]

71swb4x4 04-06-2008 01:33 AM

Re: "klunking" when I turn....

Sounds like you have something loose on the front end, probably a tie rod. I would get under there and check it all out. All of those front end parts (tie rods, ball joints, etc) are pretty important.

Eddie H. 04-06-2008 01:34 AM

Check your upper control arms to see if the bolts are loose, or any shims have fallen out.

71swb4x4 04-06-2008 01:37 AM

Check your steering box too. I had the bolts holdind one on work loose on me once. Frames also like to crack right where one of the bolt holes for the steering box is too.

elektrik 04-06-2008 01:38 AM

I'll check them for sure, but I should have mentioned one more issue-the klunking feels like it's coming from behind the vehicle (or maybe directly underneath me)-however, that doesn't mean the problem's actually there

Eddie H. 04-06-2008 01:40 AM

It could also be loose or missing trans crossmember bolts, or rear trans mount worn out.

71swb4x4 04-06-2008 01:40 AM

The turning may be a coincidence. Check your U-joints too.

elektrik 04-06-2008 01:59 AM

Ok, I'm going to take a pic of the transmission mount and post it-I'm not sure if that's the culprit, but to my (untrained) eye, it looks like it is kinda chewed up....

In the meantime, anyone got a pic of what the transmission mount's supposed to look like?

71swb4x4 04-06-2008 02:02 AM

I just replaced a bad one on my truck last week. You can't really tell just by looking at it. I had the crossmember out of the way, so I stuck a bolt in it and pulled, and the rubber wasn't holding anything in place. They are cheap, and fairly easy to replace. Moving the crossmember is 95% of the work.

breeh 04-06-2008 02:10 AM

A bit off topic but I've not found it necessary to move the crossmember. Just unbolt the trans mount from the crossmember, jack up the trans, reach between the trans and crossmember to unbolt the mount. Then do the reverse to put the new one in.

special-K 04-06-2008 03:16 AM

Could be a trailing arm bushing or panhard bar.How does it go down the road?When hitting the gas hard,does it pull to one side?If not,it still could be what I mentioned.A bushing would have to be real bad to effect tracking,but can clunk with just enough wear.

hogzilla89 04-06-2008 03:19 AM

My 69 shortbed is doing the exact same thing, sounds like its in the rear end.I took my bed off and it looks like the drive shaft is not centered in the drive loop.I have lowered mine a couple inches in the rear,I did not change the tracking arm to an adjustable one, so I think it pushed my rear to the passenger side enough the the drive shaft hits the drive loop. Mine make that loud sound when I stop then turn wheel to the left and pull off real slow.I Can feel it shake the truck. Hope this might help. If you find something else please let me know. Charles

El Jay 04-06-2008 03:46 AM

If it's "clunking" in a low speed turn, and you have a posi rear end, you just might need some "posi" lube.
My Chevy was doing the same thing. It almost felt like the 3rd member was trying to shift a bit, side to side.

I pulled the rear cover, just to take a look at things, and repair the weeping gasket; put in a bottle of "posi" lube topped it off with a synthetic gear lube (I forget what flavor).
And the "clunk went away.

All in all, a pretty cheap fix.

Tom Vogel 04-06-2008 05:33 AM

If you have an original posi rearend, its exactly what EL JAY said. Get some Posi conditioner from Napa and youll be good to go.

71swb4x4 04-06-2008 05:36 AM

breeh is exactly right. I wasn't thinking. I replaced mine when I was replacing the whole tranny, so I had to get the crossmember out of there. Hopefully you aren't outside moving the crossmember right now!

larry may 04-06-2008 05:45 AM

Posi or not I'll pick spider gear or axel gear breaking down. Pull the rear cover off and look in there for chipped off peices or other loose metal . My.02%

LBJ 04-06-2008 05:56 AM

Grease and add lube oil to everything in sight!

I had the driveshaft making noise in my 91 GMC. I removed it to try to replace the u-joints. They were held in there with some kind of injected plastic. I decided NOT to try to replace them. I just greased them with some newly installed zerks and replaced the shaft. Everything was fine after that.

Also, if the clunk is after you put your foot off the brake, you may need to check your tranny modulator. I have replaced that before and it helps smooth things out.

Other than that, sounds like broken shocks, shock mounts, missing shock bolts, very worn a-arm bushings or ball joints, etc. Give everything a good look on a lift.

El Jay 04-06-2008 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jay (Post 2663189)
If it's "clunking" in a low speed turn, and you have a posi rear end, you just might need some "posi" lube.
My Chevy was doing the same thing. It almost felt like the 3rd member was trying to shift a bit, side to side.

I pulled the rear cover, just to take a look at things, and repair the weeping gasket; put in a bottle of "posi" lube topped it off with a synthetic gear lube (I forget what flavor).
And the "clunk went away.

All in all, a pretty cheap fix.

P.S. I forgot to mention, if that doesn't take care of the problem; at the minimum,your 3rd member has been "serviced", that is it's had an oil change.

elektrik 04-06-2008 07:55 AM

Ok, I think I'm gonna enlist my nextdoor neighbor's help on this one-You've all been extremely helpful to the point of me being scared to death because I don't know where to start hehe

I'll let you know when/if I figure it out...

El Jay 04-06-2008 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elektrik (Post 2663566)
Ok, I think I'm gonna enlist my nextdoor neighbor's help on this one-You've all been extremely helpful to the point of me being scared to death because I don't know where to start hehe

I'll let you know when/if I figure it out...

Do the "oil change."
It's cheap!

elektrik 04-06-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jay (Post 2663579)
Do the "oil change."
It's cheap!

Ya-I'll still check the tranny mounts, but I think I'll start there, mainly because of fear LOL

El Jay 04-06-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elektrik (Post 2663598)
Ya-I'll still check the tranny mounts, but I think I'll start there, mainly because of fear LOL

So, you do have a "posi?"

"I never sleep"
El Jay

elektrik 04-06-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jay (Post 2663600)
So, you do have a "posi?"

"I never sleep"
El Jay

Erm...dunno? Did I mention I'm *not* a mechanic enough yet? =]

El Jay 04-06-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elektrik (Post 2663633)
Erm...dunno? Did I mention I'm *not* a mechanic enough yet? =]

So what?
You do the "oil change" and it don't work; you're out maybe $20-25 max, if that.
Ya gotta start somewhere.

By being on this forum, you have more knowledge at your fingertips that you could ever imagine.

Just let us know what did, or didn't work.

Things will be fine.

El Jay

HoupPhotography 04-06-2008 10:45 AM

You guys are going to beat me for this......

Check your ask tray, seriously! I had the same problem just the other day, when I would turn I heard a clunk noise, which really irritated me. So, I looked everything over the front end, crawled underneath didn't find anything. So my son and I (he's 4) start heading for home and i hear the "klunk" again, so I turn back and forth hear ir again and look right at my ash try, that can't be where that klumk is coming from there's nothing in there. So for kicks, I open it and sure enough there is a 5\8 socket in there rolling around making this klunk noise. My son looks at me and say, " daddy I put tools in there in case we needed them......

THe dumb part is, it really sounds like a front end "klunk"