The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   blue book pricing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=286489)

prg machine 04-06-2008 09:10 AM

blue book pricing

:chevy:I know this doesn't apply to any of our trucks.................but let's say for conversation purposes , that a guy needs an estimate for attorneys to figure out what his truck is worth in a divorce settlement..........but doesn't realy want to value it for all of what it is "realy" worth..............the "ex to be soon ":lol:has no idea either....................so if ya get my drift here.............................................what is the best way to come up with the lowest value??????

HoupPhotography 04-06-2008 10:37 AM

Re: blue book pricing

If they don't do any investigating on the vehicle, then you may get away with a "stated" value. But I would assume that if it's a $30k street rod and you tell them it's worth $8k they may look into that! I guess what I'm tryig to say is, if you state a value wth in "reason" you should be ok.

he should MAKE SURE there are no outstanding Mechanics liens that have not been executed;)

My dads friend was going through a divorce many years ago, and he sold his
'56 vette and Alchol funny car to his buddy and chaged over the titles. He literally sold his vette for $20 and the Funny Car for $40.

I don't know if you can get away with that now, however, I've seen a friend recently that had a mysterious mechanics lien show up on his junk ... I don't know how that worked in his favor but it did.

I don'e even really know if I helped you out at all or even answered your question for that matter.......hope it helps! :ito:

special-K 04-06-2008 02:41 PM

They`re hip to that whole liquidating to get it away from the "X" game.The best thing would be to give us your info,if it`s a 67/72,and get all of our opinions.This site is as much of an authority(if not more)as anywhere.Take all the replies and save them.Refer the bloodsuckers to this website if thay don`t accept it.Also gather simular sales on Ebay,since it will show that it actually sold for that.Some stuff goes way low,some crazy high.But,usually the real high-end stuff that goes high.Prices are soft these days,that`s in your favor.Try listing it for sale where you figure they`ll value it and watch it not sell.List it here.We`re all tight wads:lol:.Do you have a friend you could sell it to at a way softened price within reason?Like 1/2 of what you`d want for it?That may fly.They really can`t put an exact value on such a thing.Then,you could buy it back at 1/2 of what it`s worth again.It will only cost you 1/2 of what you would have had to hand her.

berencam 04-06-2008 04:09 PM

Just total it, and the insurance company will tell you that your truck is worth about 3k :)

LONGHAIR 04-06-2008 04:23 PM

I don't know that "totalling it" is the answer.....but he is on the right track. What would your insurance agent say it was worth? "Technically" it isn't worth any more than that. If it were "stolen"....you would split a check for....whatever he says. That is it's value, if you "lost" it any other way, that is what you would get.

snaus32 04-06-2008 05:19 PM

nada.com has classic car values. I think our trucks go from low 6500 to high 28000 or so thats per their conditions.

ChevLoRay 04-06-2008 05:22 PM

Unless the vehicle has been restored/restomodded/etc., we usually tend to value them higher than they are if on the market. I don't want to take away from them, but I know I have more in mine than anyone will pay. This may be the value to me, but not to anyone else. The "stated value" is for replacement purposes. Market value is pricing it for sale. When we shop for them, we all want to get them as cheaply as possible, while the seller is going for the gold.

Don't do what a guy I worked with did and sell it to a buddy for a dollar. The judge wasn't buying that ploy and he had to ante up what the judge decided it was worth....a '62 Ford.....35 years ago.

Then again, another buddy didn't want to lose his '32 Ford Cabriolet in the court-ordered auction, so he cut it in half in the door opening, and scattered the halves to confuse the buyers. It worked. After the sale, he gathered the pieces (frame, fenders, body, etc.) and stored them in a shed where they stayed for 20 years until we got them out on New Years Day, 2002.

Just be careful in your "hypothetical" situation.....

special-K 04-06-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaus32 (Post 2663896)
nada.com has classic car values. I think our trucks go from low 6500 to high 28000 or so thats per their conditions.

NADA knows nodda about these truck value.I don`t consider them hoping on the band wagon as Johnny Come Latelys as qualifying them to be an authority on vehicles over 5 years old when they ignored them for years.They should be going to enthusiasts for values,not us to them.First of all,there are alot whole lot of trucks out there worth way less than $6,500 and many worth over $28,000.They don`t have a clue.You can`t make an accurate price guide on antique vehicles.It doesn`t work that way.Each vehicle has it`s individual value based on numerous variables.

I think Berencam was refering to how he found out the hard way.:cool:

prg machine 04-06-2008 06:44 PM

to be a little more clear with the situation.........I can keep the truck..that is fine with her attorney.......just that if i do i have to buy her out of 1/2 of the estimated value.
The truck is not a full resto ( listed below) mechanicaly very sound and that is where the money is spread out over the last 5 years of pocket allowance money.
purchase was 1800

lotsa hard work

somewhere around 4000 invested in parts (low estimate)

doesn't have glass

not driveable

mostly a pile of parts now bolted togehter in one piece

I am guessing about 2500 dollars to her shouldn't be to far off target

interesting subject huh?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

prg machine 04-06-2008 06:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
this is a general idea of what I have.

the floor and rockers ahave all been patched up by me personaly, no money invested in that just lotsa time and hard work... same goes for all of the body work
the money is in the drivetrain

prg machine 04-06-2008 06:51 PM

so what you have here is an investment in labor and personal time way more so than cash outlay.....................I have been told that those subjects can and are considered by judges

ed2552 04-06-2008 08:38 PM

Sorry about the divorce, that is tough, a few of my friend's parents went through that, it is no good

streetstar 04-06-2008 08:46 PM

Most of us on here would not pay more than $1500 for a "basket case" truck unless there are exceptional circumstances (Cheyenne Super Big Block, etc. etc.)

That would be my argument -- unless the truck is assembled and usable, it is nothing more than a $1500 basket case pile of parts -- if that --- no matter what you have put into it

I think it is sad that she is trying to jack you for your old truck too, but i had a friend whose wife wanted 1/2 the value of an '89 S10 he kept at his lake house

HoupPhotography 04-06-2008 09:48 PM

Divorce is a real bummer man and it can be hard mentally. Whatever happens with the truck, you will always have your health and well being and that is the most important. It may be a bummer to start a project over, just make sure to keep your head up!!

prg machine 04-06-2008 09:51 PM

basicaly anything purchased or invested in after marriage is of a consideration
I think you are all correct.. Basket case it is.........only i know the true value

1LoC10 04-06-2008 09:59 PM

if you have close friends, or family members sell everything to them, (On Paper)... when the divorce is final, have it all put back in your name

special-K 04-06-2008 10:06 PM

Not figuring in your time is to your advantage(for once).I doubt there is any true source to obtain value on a project.I think it`s whatever you say,pretty much.And,who can tell the difference between a cleaned up and painted part from a new painted part.The cost of paint on parts shouldn`t go towards the value either way.I wouldn`t reveal every dime in parts for that reason.There would have been alot more to split if the divorce timed out later.
I think you`re being more than fair at $2,500.You`d have a tough time getting $5,000 out of it,now.Although it would be worth it.Do we get all we put in when tey`re done?

berencam 04-06-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 2663976)
I think Berencam was refering to how he found out the hard way.:cool:

yea pretty much what i meant lol

prg machine 04-07-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LoC10 (Post 2664169)
if you have close friends, or family members sell everything to them, (On Paper)... when the divorce is final, have it all put back in your name

don't work that way.:sumo: legaly you can get in trouble with, of all people, the IRS.....................my attorney said something about a Federal disclosure law...............makes it illegal to move assets around .........same goes in a divorce as in a tax investigation..............in fact one can lead to the other and vice-a-versa

prg machine 04-07-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 2664175)
Not figuring in your time is to your advantage(for once).I doubt there is any true source to obtain value on a project.I think it`s whatever you say,pretty much.And,who can tell the difference between a cleaned up and painted part from a new painted part.The cost of paint on parts shouldn`t go towards the value either way.I wouldn`t reveal every dime in parts for that reason.There would have been alot more to split if the divorce timed out later.
I think you`re being more than fair at $2,500.You`d have a tough time getting $5,000 out of it,now.Although it would be worth it.Do we get all we put in when tey`re done?

I know what you mean...............gotta love em to invest as much time and money as we do, since you ain't never seein it back upon time to sell. I have a CJ-5 that I have had since 1971..................invested probably 12 grand if not more and loads of my own labor.......I'd be lucky to get 3 for it!!:uhmk:

El Jay 04-07-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prg machine (Post 2664822)
don't work that way.:sumo: legaly you can get in trouble with, of all people, the IRS.....................my attorney said something about a Federal disclosure law...............makes it illegal to move assets around .........same goes in a divorce as in a tax investigation..............in fact one can lead to the other and vice-a-versa

Whoa!
You certainly don't need that kind of crap.
I'd rather have the FBI & the CIA on my a$$ rather than the IRS.

BTW, that's a really great start on that truck. I hope things work out for you.

Divorces suck. Don't ask me how I know, just take my word on it, please.

oldsc10 04-07-2008 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=prg machine;2663992]to be a little more clear with the situation.........I can keep the truck..that is fine with her attorney.......just that if i do i have to buy her out of 1/2 of the estimated value.
The truck is not a full resto ( listed below) mechanicaly very sound and that is where the money is spread out over the last 5 years of pocket allowance money.
purchase was 1800

lotsa hard work

somewhere around 4000 invested in parts (low estimate)

doesn't have glass

not driveable
Been down this road about 5 years ago. Her lawyer was trying to value the 67 at $6,000. Was about the same condition as yours at the time. Non driveible, no paint, but a recently rebuilt motor. We settled at $3000 as the value. Kinda sucks to have to split the value of something that you know she has absolutely no interest in.

special-K 04-07-2008 02:44 PM

I`d say more,but I`m in the same boat at the moment.Basically,I`ve been waiting to move on with projects until I can call them my own.I do know a guy that just paid cash for parts including having a motor built while he was in the same situation.He couldn`t wait to set the motor in the frame along with some old manual transmission out of a car.He said they couldn`t really get a value on a bare frame.At least not enough to make it a consideration in the assets.He also had some rusty old shortbed 4wd that didn`t run most people would expect to see junked.It was just something that would need removed when the house got sold and divided.He offered to take care of that hastle.

Shane 04-07-2008 05:13 PM

Just a bit of friendly advice and no offense meant, but DO NOT discuss how you would like to manipulate the settlement price of joint assets of a divorce on a public Internet forum.

They can and DO subpoena your ISP and cell phone company for such things.

prg machine 04-07-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane (Post 2665204)
Just a bit of friendly advice and no offense meant, but DO NOT discuss how you would like to manipulate the settlement price of joint assets of a divorce on a public Internet forum.

They can and DO subpoena your ISP and cell phone company for such things.

Point well taken!