The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hacked Dash Option's? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=287535)

vtblazer 04-13-2008 10:27 PM

Hacked Dash Option's?

4 Attachment(s)
Time to repair my dash, tired of looking at the big ugly hole.

I had installed a junk DIN mount radio/CD player to fill the bigger spot and that was better but I want it fixed now.

Pics show the existing dash, last two are the aluminum option's I have here to work with.
Also have a good factory dash I could cut up and install but it seems like a lot more work and being my off road ride, having a plate that switches could be mounted might be a good thing.

The problem I'm facing is the lowest cut, it's almost to the heater controls and there's a bend in that area that could be tough to duplicate.

Throw up any and all option's, I'm open at this point.

Yukon Jack 04-13-2008 10:38 PM

Re: Hacked Dash Option's?

Definitely gonna take some work to get it back to original condition if you go that route. I see what you mean about that lower hole being a problem. If you decide to replace, maybe you could make a nice clean cut and cut out the whole area including the ignition key location, heater control and cig lighter, then weld in a whole new section.

For a trail rig I thing going with something different is just fine, but that bottom cut out area still is gonna cause problems.

If I had your skills, I'd probably lean towards cutting it all out like I mention above and put in a clean dash portion.

Tough call!

Chevyman63 04-14-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Jack (Post 2675312)
Definitely gonna take some work to get it back to original condition if you go that route. I see what you mean about that lower hole being a problem. If you decide to replace, maybe you could make a nice clean cut and cut out the whole area including the ignition key location, heater control and cig lighter, then weld in a whole new section.

For a trail rig I thing going with something different is just fine, but that bottom cut out area still is gonna cause problems.

If I had your skills, I'd probably lean towards cutting it all out like I mention above and put in a clean dash portion.

Tough call!

I agree with YJ, but if you've decided to go custom, I like the flat aluminum.

Jtrux 04-14-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 2675436)
I agree with YJ, but if you've decided to go custom, I like the flat aluminum.

Maybe keep an original dash pad look on the top but like chevyman said, use flat aluminum for the lower portion with a cluster of after market guages.

Oh and a start button, forget the key, go with the button :metal:

MNorby 04-14-2008 01:58 AM

I purpously hacked my dash so I could do this.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...r/DSC04683.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...r/DSC04684.jpg

GRIMSS 04-14-2008 02:10 AM

Here's my idea with the aluminum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...tures/dash.jpg

MNorby 04-14-2008 02:35 AM

Also if you need cheap aluminum go to salvage yard with semi trucks and get a chunk of cab or a truck door or something, tons of sheet aluminum to be had dirt cheap.

Chevyman63 04-14-2008 03:14 AM

Nice work GRIMSS!

GRIMSS 04-14-2008 03:30 AM

any one have a good picture of a full dash straight on? I have another idea i can chop.

vtblazer 04-15-2008 12:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pulled a dash from the garage for mock up and made a template from a manila envelope, should work/look pretty good when it's made of aluminum IMO.

Chevyman63 04-15-2008 01:54 AM

:agree: I like it.

jaros44sr 04-15-2008 02:20 AM

If ya go alittle further past the heater control panel you would only have one sharp bend to tie it to the bottom of the dash. There isn't alot of strenght in that area if you look at it as a whole. More support and more area for gauges, switches lites, etc. Just don't turn it into a aircraft cockpit, like the pic I remember seeing of another cab:lol:
JMHO

vtblazer 04-15-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2676822)
If ya go alittle further past the heater control panel you would only have one sharp bend to tie it to the bottom of the dash. There isn't alot of strenght in that area if you look at it as a whole. More support and more area for gauges, switches lites, etc. Just don't turn it into a aircraft cockpit, like the pic I remember seeing of another cab:lol:
JMHO

There's a strip of heavier gauge steel that the heater controls bolt to, don't see the need to interrupt the mounting of them or the ignition switch.

No intent on putting in more gauges either, I am going to move the existing winch control over closer to me though, it was almost inconvenient being in the lighter hole.

jaros44sr 04-15-2008 01:11 PM

You don't use your heater and defroster, do you?

vtblazer 04-15-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2677609)
You don't use your heater and defroster, do you?

Yeah, surprisingly alot!
Made sure to take the time to fix the 'high' speed for the fan too. ;)

Everything still works, horn/wipers/blinkers/lights/B-U lights...gotta keep it road legal ya know.

Chevyman63 04-15-2008 01:44 PM

So did you get your dash plate made yet? Or is that a future project like everything I own?

vtblazer 04-15-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 2677640)
So did you get your dash plate made yet? Or is that a future project like everything I own?

Not yet but will soon.
It's first on the 'triage' list for the blazer this year.
Good to be working on it again though.

Have a wheeling trip planned in May, so I gotta get going on it.
Brought the tool box and welder home from the shop yesterday so I can work on it here at night.

Might sneak some time in on it this morning, if I can get it cut out, I can stop by the shop and use the metal break when I find a reason to run the roads. ;)

Chevyman63 04-15-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2677647)
Not yet but will soon.
It's first on the 'triage' list for the blazer this year.
Good to be working on it again though.

Have a wheeling trip planned in May, so I gotta get going on it.
Brought the tool box and welder home from the shop yesterday so I can work on it here at night.

Might sneak some time in on it this morning, if I can get it cut out, I can stop by the shop and use the metal break when I find a reason to run the roads. ;)

Cool! Looking forward to this year's mods!

One of these days I'll have/make the time to start working on mine again. :waah: I know...I know, just get on it!

pound41 04-15-2008 02:09 PM

Just in case you change your mind and want to go back stock. Burnsman has the exact patch section from a dash $35 shipped. I was doing some parts surfing yesterday after reading your thread

vtblazer 04-15-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pound41 (Post 2677657)
Just in case you change your mind and want to go back stock. Burnsman has the exact patch section from a dash $35 shipped. I was doing some parts surfing yesterday after reading your thread

Thanks for the info, Brian's prices are always good IMO.

But...if I decide to use a stock patch, I have...uhm, like five other trucks out behind the shop with good dash section's. :o :rolleyes:

jaros44sr 04-15-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2677637)
Yeah, surprisingly alot!
Made sure to take the time to fix the 'high' speed for the fan too. ;)

Everything still works, horn/wipers/blinkers/lights/B-U lights...gotta keep it road legal ya know.

Oh, didn't no that! Not that my thoughts matter, but...your fix looks great then. Are you going to bolt it in or weld it?

vtblazer 04-15-2008 05:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mark/cut/fit check.
(not 'perfectly' centered in pics I know)

Off to the break...

vtblazer 04-15-2008 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pretty happy with it, might need to trim the tab some but it should work out good.
Going with aluminum rivets or some allen head screws for mounting.
(leaning towards the allen screws currently)

71blksuper4x4 04-15-2008 07:32 PM

Vt, are you going to spray some krylon black over that when you get it done? I was just thinking if you leave it bright aluminum, the reflection my get to you if you ride at all with the top down, maybe blinding if you are wheeling? Just a thought. Trevor

vtblazer 04-15-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 2677978)
Vt, are you going to spray some krylon black over that when you get it done? I was just thinking if you leave it bright aluminum, the reflection my get to you if you ride at all with the top down, maybe blinding if you are wheeling? Just a thought. Trevor

Good point to bring up, I've thought about it some myself.

I like the look of aluminum but don't like the idea of getting a face full of reflection at the wrong time either.