The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   S10 S15 Luv Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   My truck left me stranded today (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=308313)

corn 09-27-2008 02:11 AM

My truck left me stranded today

I started my truck this morning like every morning & made a few stops with no problems but I stopped by the bar my son just bought to help him for a while & when I went out my s10 wouldnt start. Cranked & cranked, not so much as a pop. Let it sit most of the afternoon & tried it every hour or so & still nothing. About supper time I hit the switch & it popped right off. Anybody ever had this happen? Its a '96 4.3. I hate the thought that this truck might not be the reliable machine its always been...

54 jimmy 09-27-2008 12:57 PM

Re: My truck left me stranded today

my dad has a 95 gmc jimmy with the vortec 4.3 v6 he has had a problem simmilar to that. his truck would just die as he was driving it. i traced the problem to the fuel injection spider that is in the plebum under the intake. he has not had a problem since i fixed it. $500.00 just in parts. it's not a hard job.

corn 09-27-2008 03:04 PM

This one ran perfect just wouldnt start after it was shut off. I did notice a slight stumble once when I accelerated pretty hard when I was driving it home after it did start though. Ill look into what you suggested. Thanks...

BarryB 09-27-2008 05:32 PM

Sounds to me like your fuel pump is getting ready to give up the ghost. Next time it happens, try beating on the bottom of the gas tank and see what happens. Mine was doing the same thing. Loss of power and then it wouldn't start. I did what I suggested and got it home replaced the fuel pump. No problem ever since. Oh, I had just filled the tank too. So I just unbolted the bed, raised the bed and swapped the pump without spilling a drop of gas. It's alot easier than trying to drop the tank IMO.

corn 09-27-2008 11:18 PM

Hope if its the pump it will hold out for a couple weeks. Im taking the box of to change it out for a take off step bed I bought. Im also gonna weld on my cab corners & notch the frame. Should I just put a new pump in it when I have the box off?

trailwart 09-28-2008 02:08 AM

yes, get a ac pump

68C15 09-28-2008 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailwart (Post 2907668)
yes, get a ac pump

or a Delphi.

you could also have a bad crank position sensor, ignition modlue or one of about 40 other things.

first I would check the amps ramp with a scope to see if the pump is getting tired.
generally the 96^ injectors dont cause a no- start. they will get dirty poppets and make it run a little rough. the 95 and older ones being a peak and hold injector have had lots of problems.
do you have a fuel pressure gauge you could tape to the windsheild? did you find my cell #?

corn 09-28-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 2907719)
or a Delphi.

you could also have a bad crank position sensor, ignition modlue or one of about 40 other things.

first I would check the amps ramp with a scope to see if the pump is getting tired.
generally the 96^ injectors dont cause a no- start. they will get dirty poppets and make it run a little rough. the 95 and older ones being a peak and hold injector have had lots of problems.
do you have a fuel pressure gauge you could tape to the windsheild? did you find my cell #?

Thats the part where it gets a little scary. I dont own a fuel pressure gauge but I do own a sludge hammer. I must have lost your # when I got my new phone. PM it to me will ya?...

corn 10-11-2008 02:01 AM

I finally took the bed off today & Im going to attempt the (@#$% expensive) pump tomorrow. Anything to look out for? Any tricks to removing the hoses? or the pump?

(Todd, it DOES have juice at the tank. Thanks again!)

68C15 10-11-2008 04:55 AM

it has juice at the pump? there is your problem. these things run best on gasoline not juice.

corn 10-11-2008 11:50 AM

But gasoline costs too much...

Jerry Jones 10-11-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn (Post 2925608)
But gasoline costs too much...

As expensive as gas is... Juice costs more, I know because I go through alot of pomegranate juice and cranberry juice. (my health issues are for another thread)

corn 10-11-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 2925291)
it has juice at the pump? there is your problem. these things run best on gasoline not juice.

Todd, the system wont let me give you more positive rep for your help, so I will do it in this thread. Thanks for all the answers to my dumb questions over the phone. I put the pump in today & my dime is alive again! The motor didnt even turn over & it was running. Thank you! Now come down here & weld in my cab corners for me so I can put a bed back on!...:lol:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...pumpjob001.jpg

68C15 10-11-2008 05:05 PM

cool! its running. now fix that Malibu.

I would help with the welding but that would require me to do more than pretend to care. LOL JK