The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering Wheel Removal Help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=311831)

1970heavychevy 10-24-2008 09:47 AM

Steering Wheel Removal Help

I have a 70 C10 and need to remove my steering wheel to get to my turn signal switch. I have removed the nut in the center and the horn assembly but it won't come off. Is there a secret or something I'm missing? It's not a tilt wheel.

cdowns 10-24-2008 09:52 AM

Re: Steering Wheel Removal Help

steering wheel puller needed

1970heavychevy 10-24-2008 09:57 AM

That sounds easy enough. Thanks

ChevLoRay 10-24-2008 09:59 AM

I agree. You can get one at any auto parts store, and they aren't expensive. It will have a part that has one large bolt that gots into the middle of the part, with wings on the outside of that that will accomodate two more bolts. Those two bolts will thread into the holes on the outside of the center nut that holds the steering wheel to the shaft. With those two bolts threaded into the steering wheel hub, begin tightening the larger center bolt until it feels snug. You don't have to tighten it like torqing a set of heads....just get it snugged down. Then, make sure that the two outer bolts are snugged, too. After that, get a hammer....it doensn't have to be a big one...and tap on the larger center bolt. You should hear a popping sound and the wheel may very well pop off of the shaft. If not, continue the process until it does pop loose.

The tool that I have looks like an H, with a hole in the center for that large bolt. The slots on each side will allow you to adjust the smaller bolts to fit your hub. Make sure the large bolt is centered over the steering column shaft, and not allowed to get off-center.

1320tech 10-24-2008 10:02 AM

I just remove the nut and smack the wheel rim @ 3 and 9 oclock real sharp with side of fist sevral times each side put the nut back on 2 or 3 threads and pull wheel off

1970heavychevy 10-24-2008 10:05 AM

I tried the smack technique but was scared of breaking something. I'm tired of breaking stuff!

big_al_71 10-24-2008 11:00 AM

Grab it really good and PULL!!!!!

leddzepp 10-24-2008 11:07 AM

Get a puller from harbor freight....cheap and easy. You won't damage anything that way

Ravenmocker 01-21-2009 08:19 PM

My problem is how to get the Grant Custom hub off the steering wheel shaft. This piece is supposedly connected to the turn signal cancellation device. I do not think the hub is screwed or attached to the shaft but it is not wanting to come off. It looks like it should slide off the spline but I think it needs some persuasion of some type. Anybody removed one of these hubs before? Would a puller work?

cparman 01-21-2009 08:51 PM

Listen, you play with bombs. Don't let the steering wheel scare you. I have an aftermarket wheel on my Blazer, and a later model OE on my truck. Loosen the nut on the steering shaft, plant feet firmly on the floor and pull like heck, wiggling the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock position. It will come off. I do not know if the Grant hub has threaded holes to screw bolts into to attach the puller to. My method is a bit scary the first time, but after you do it a time or two it is like scratching your elbow.

Ya got to put the wheel back on before this way will work

Longhorn Man 01-21-2009 09:18 PM

the grant piece won't hold up to that kind of pulling. You'll need the puller for the grant hub.
And while the grab and pull method can work... it's just smarter to spend 10 bucks for a cheap puller. This is one tool that cheap is OK.
On the flip side, sometimes after 40 years, the wheel can become one with the shaft. A torch can be needed sometimes.

FlartBastinSr 01-21-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 2943967)
Get a puller from harbor freight....cheap and easy. You won't damage anything that way

I agree. I got one thinking it was a one time deal but wound up using the u-know-what out of it. I've found that when reinstalling the horn and turn signal assembly, it can get kind of fussy in there (horn honking constantly). So expect to install/remove a few times.

WIDESIDE72 01-22-2009 09:28 AM

you could always unplug the horn under the hood...

63 & 64 Bowties 01-22-2009 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're gonna buy one, get a harmonic balancer puller. They will work on wheels, then you'll have a puller that you can use for other projects. You'll just need to supply your own two long bolts for the wheel.

big blue 72 01-22-2009 09:47 AM

Good advice from all. but remember to leave the nut screwed on at least a couple of threads so that when you pull the steering wheel off you wont pop yourself in the face and break your nose.:lol::lol::lol:
Ask me how I know.................