The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rearview mirror resilvering (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=319681)

Brad 12-18-2008 03:15 AM

Rearview mirror resilvering

3 Attachment(s)
At the last Monroe swap meet, Drew (Twisted78SS) found me a Camaro/Nova mirror for my truck. It was in dire need of a resilvering so I looked all around for someone to do this cheap in my area and wasn't getting anywhere. I found a few places back East and one shop around town that wanted $65 to do it. Finally I found a place that would do it for $40 in Gresham, Or called Cliff's Classic Chevy Parts.

I finally got the finished mirror back a few days ago. Although there were a few inconveniences along the way, overall I'm very happy with the final results.

Initially they called after about 2 weeks and said it was done. I picked it up and went to put the glass back in the frame and discovered that it wasn't mine! The glass they gave me was slightly bigger all the way around, so back it went. Unfortunately, I had to drive about 10 miles back there only to discover they had closed for lunch so I had to wait. I gave it back and they didn't have mine done and said it'd take another week. Cliff did say that he'd install the glass into the frame for me as a courtesy which made up for the unnecessary trip. Unfortunately, I had to leave for 2 weeks for military stuff and couldn't get it until I got back. So I went over there yesterday and finally picked it up. They had completed it and again, I'm very happy with the final result. The first 2 pics are before and the last one is the finished product. I'll try to get a better pic when I can bring it out in the natural sunlight, but this will give you an idea. I'll also shoot a pic of it installed and post here.

'68OrangeSunshine 12-18-2008 08:07 AM

Re: Rearview mirror resilvering

I was told they couldn't do that anymore. Something about mercury and the EPA or whatever. I was about to get a repop from one of the vendors, but I checked my junk pile and I had a good one I got from a buddy's stepdad when I helped him move his house. It came off a mid '60s Buick station wagon. Works real good, not too much dropout and the DAY/NIGHT selector works OK. My dog Gunji caught his leash in the old one's selector and it broke, but it had too much dropout, anyway.

'68 C-20 12-18-2008 09:06 AM

What is "drop out"?

bigdon-70blazer 12-18-2008 01:16 PM

Can you post the town and phone number of someone who did it for you? I need to do this....

Brad 12-19-2008 12:03 AM

Yeppers!
Cliff's Classic Chevrolet Parts Co. in Gresham, Oregon
503 667 4329
www.cliffsclassicchevrolet.net

bigdon-70blazer 12-19-2008 12:43 AM

Thanks....will give them a call.

Andy4639 12-19-2008 12:48 AM

How does the sun viser's work with it? I got one one time out of a GM station wagon and the viser's hit both sides when you folded them down. Just something to look at.:chevy:

Brad 12-19-2008 12:55 AM

It's the same size as the stock, chrome '68 mirror. It's an 8" Camaro/Nova mirror. The visors won't even come close.

LuckyHenriksen 12-19-2008 01:05 AM

Looks great, looking forward to seeing it installed

'68OrangeSunshine 12-19-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68 C-20 (Post 3033990)
What is "drop out"?

It's a term from the recording industry to describe how particles of the magnetic iron oxide drop out of the backing of video or audio tape after repeated play and create a distortion. In this case, I mean how the silver colored backing drops out and you get those black spots and waves in the mirror's backing. Look at Brad's 2nd pic.