The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   lets hear stories about how people dislike our trucks!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=320059)

tim21391 12-21-2008 01:37 AM

lets hear stories about how people dislike our trucks!!

i have live 15 miles away from my school. so i bought myself a '00 eclipse 4 cylinder 5 speed to get me almost thirty miles a gallon. that has been my dailey driver this year. i am a senior at my school and my whole junior year i drove my 72 to school not caring that gas was almost 3.50 a gallon where i only got like 5 miles a gallon.. i didnt care.. but this year i wanted to save money up and redo the truck like i started during thanksgiving. i was sittin in weights class earlier this week and this kid came up to me and was like you still got that piece of **** truck. i said ya im redoing it. hes like why are you blowing all your money on that its always going to be a turd. sell it and get something else its pointless. i went on to tell him what longhorn man told me that its kinda rare since i fall into the 8% catagory that had the 402's in 72. So my plan is get my truck all done.. install some headers to go along with the flowmasters i already got on the truck..get new paint sprayed.. new wheels and tires.. roll up to graduation and do some somkeys right in front of him.... keep in mind that my whole senior class hasnt seen the truck since i drove it last year as a junior... haha..anybody else get mad when they dis our trucks????? tell us about them

drivethechevy 12-21-2008 01:58 AM

Re: lets hear stories about how people dislike our trucks!!

i drove my beater 68 c20 for about 3 weeks right when i got my license and then came winter and the truck had no heat, bad brakes, and the worn out 250 i6 was completly worthless if left in the cold not running, so i bought a 300 doller ford probe that pulled me around at 37 mpg till the day its motor gave out, about a week after i started driving the probe, a couple of the football players from my school came up to me when they saw me driving the probe and the asked me if the probe is what the junkyard gave me so they could crush "the old peice of sh!t" (direct quote of the football players) i just looked at them and told them and that my dady cant aford to buy me a new pickup and even if he could i would spend all the money fixing up my old pos and come spring when i see you broken down again on the side of the road youll be glad i drive an old truck, cause i keep all tools needed in it, they both scoffed and said yeah right, over this last summer i was in my 93 lumina economy car and i seen a truck pulled over with a flat tire, i pulled over and it was one of the same football players,i told him i bet you wish i was driving my pickup now dont ya cause id have a jack, i did help him out and go get a jack so he could put his spare on, i brought him to my shop and showed him my new k10 cause he asked why i wasnt driving my old truck anymore, everynow and then he will ask when when im gonna start driving it
this could turn out to be an interesting thread
nate

Longhorn Man 12-21-2008 02:09 AM

some people just don't get it.
That's the problem straying off the mainstream path.
Last month my grandmother was givin me crap about my suburban... she's the type that will crap on anything you like, and every thing she could nit pick, she did.
When she asked why I lowered it, I told her becouse oi wanted to. When she continued complaining that it looked funny, I told her we could turn around and she could climb up into the other truck and be rewarded with a real rough ride.
Then she was ranting on why do I need two trucks.
Becouse i want them.
then she actually started complaining telling me that some people don't have a single car, let alone two, and she thought it was mean for me to hog up more than I can use at once.
what ever... if someone who can't afford one car can give me enough money for mine, then I'll sell it.
Some people are like her.

Puropedo 12-21-2008 02:29 AM

Funny thing u mention this,,, I always get bad comments from family members and even some friends telling me "why do you keep on buying those
piece of junks?? " Well, my youngest sister is the one who always dislike my trucks the most, she just got a 2001 savana van for 6500 (crazy) and right during that time I sold a 67 that I had for 6200, of course she though that was insane but Im pretty sure she learned her lesson, now Im the one giving
her $hit about her stupid van!!:lol:

Longhorn Man 12-21-2008 02:37 AM

wait till she has you work on that stupid van!

chev-obsession 12-21-2008 03:26 AM

people used to think that my truck was a turd.. actually it was. (this is sophmore year) it had faded orange paint, a krusty old 6 cylinder and it ran like poop. everybody gave me crap about it. then the summer between sophmore and junior year i sanded it all down and got it ready for paint. i had it painted in the fall (november i do believe) but it still had the 6 cylinder. then in the spring of last year i built a 350 for it and droped it in, and i am now driving it as of my senior year and people with common sense know that it is the badest truck in the parking lot! poeple recognize it more now that it is somewhat shiny and pretty loud.

tim21391 - i had to drive a p.o.s 1991 mazda pickup while i wasnt driving my chevy, so you didnt have it that bad! and dont let people get to you like that. our trucks look the best out of all the ones chevy ever came out with... i think atleast. when you are all finished with it make sure you burn them off nice and good right in front of that kid and i garuantee that he will be jealous! What kind of a car does that kid drive anyhow? :chevy:

long67 12-21-2008 04:21 AM

O yeah, the boys at the plant I worked at in cali didnt under stand the old truck thing until word came of the plant closing and they had payments to make on their turd f150s. Then the old chevy looked pretty good. Same deal at this plant to buy some of the younger dudes.

big_al_71 12-21-2008 07:17 AM

some of my employees have given me crap about why I buy these buckets but then once I am done with them their faces look like this :jdp:
I really never cared what people think, anybody can buy a new truck or pay somebody to build it for them. There are people that DO NOT have any skills so it is easier to critisize rather than admire.

ChevLoRay 12-21-2008 07:42 AM

About four years ago, I was going to Walmart, on New Years Day, to get my blackeyed peas and hog jowl to fix (it's a Southern thing, y'all). Anyway, I'd been having trouble with my truck dying w/o warning. As luck would have it, just as I pulled up to the light, it changed to red and the truck died.

A woman and her mom pulled up behind me in a Pathfinder.

The light turned green, my truck wouldn't start, and she started blowing the horn.

Truck still wouldn't start. Light turned red, again.

When it turned green again, she started blowing the horn, again. So, I got out and walked back to her and asked her to start my truck while I blew her horn for her. She swelled up and said, "Well, why don't you buy a NEW @#*$ truck!"

About that time, a local cop pulled up and offered to push me out of the way.

I would like to have been a fly on the wall when she told her husband what I had said to her.

Yeah, like Longhorn Man said, some people just don't get it. We're recycling without making new out of old, saving energy....in my opinion...while getting to flame someone now and then for being stupid.

jeremy zander 12-21-2008 08:12 AM

Just asked the wife what she thinks about the truck herd."Stupid piece of s..t yard decorations waste of money ugly crap"..Good nite honey..I luv you..!!>..JZ .

fine69 12-21-2008 08:35 AM

I had inlaws like that once. "Why do you keep driving that old crap?". Go buy a new truck.

What the heck for? My father-in-law didn't understand. He was a "yes" man.

Its part of who you are. These old trucks i mean. Some(most) people will never get it.

PanelDeland 12-21-2008 08:53 AM

"If you have to ask,then you wouldn't understand."

It usually works for me.Thing is a lot of those women probably spent thousands of dollars on "Beanie Babies"

kookykrispy 12-21-2008 09:08 AM

I used to have a 'new' truck. It was a ford f250 with a powerstoke. It cost me alot of money in repairs this last year. It was so modern I did not know how to fix it, so I was forced to take it to the shop and pay thousands! I finally decided I wanted a classic chevy that was reliable and simple so if anything broke I could fix it myself without having to take it to the dealer or an expensive diesel shop.

I bought a low miles '72 c20 a week ago... and I have been driving it every day, fixing little this and that as I go... slowly restoring. What a great old truck. They sure don't build em like they used to!

I think its great to hear from all you younger guys who own and appreciate these old classics. Keep the faith!

MrBeast 12-21-2008 10:42 AM

Way back in the day I had a 1970 Chevy short bed 4x4. It had nice paint when I bought it because I bought it from a paint shop that had repoed it. The engine that was in it was a dog though. I think the PO stuffed it in before the paint shop took it.

I was sixteen years old, and I caught a lot of hell from my classmates because my truck wasn't fast, and eventually it started smoking with in a couple of months. Man I caught so much hell for it. I remember one kid in particular who was a real Alpha Sierra Sierra about it, he had a 74 blazer that his daddy had helped him put an engine in, and he was always wanting to race me.

Well I kept my mouth shut, I worked really hard. But the teasing kept on, I said nothing, Summer rolled around, and I picked up 5 jobs! I was working construction during the day, Dairy Queen at night, and then on Saturday day I was going up and helping haul hay, sunday day I was helping out at a guest resort, and then the afternoons on the weekend I worked at pizza hut.

I did this all summer. Until the week before school was going to start, I quit 4 of my jobs, took 2 weeks off from DQ, Bought a 78 model 350 4 bolt main, stuffed a Eagle forged Crank and Rods in it, Forged pistons, 10:25:1 compression is where I wound up with the Dart Iron Eagle heads I bought, Then I stuffed a Full roller comp cam in it, and 1.65:1 roller rockers, a MSD pro Bilet dizzy, and a 6AL box, and 1 3/4" primary headers with 2 1/2" straight pipes! along with a Center Force Clutch.

I actually had enough left over to put a posi in the front axle (the rear already had one) and then a set of 33x12.50's BFG Mud Terrains.

I pulled into the high school parking lot and proceeded to leave two twelve and a half inch black strips from one end to the other, and parked it next to the kid with the 74 who had been taunting me.

Well then they started in with "Well must be nice when your daddy fixes up your truck for you" and "Oh, sure you spent a bunch of money on exhaust but that wont make it fast"

AS it were about 4 months later in the midst of a major winter storm, where it dumped 3 feet of snow in 2 days, I just so happened to be headed out to my ole mans shop after school one day, and I see a 74 blazer buried up to the doors in the ditch! Well I stopped, and a very sheepish guy asked me if I could help tow him out.

Now mind you we were pointed up a hill, in winter weather, and he is in about a foot of hard packed snow with a couple more feet of powder on top of that. Well I had him hook the chain to the front of his truck, and I threw my snatch block in my receiver hitch, and hooked the chain to that. He then told me that I was never going to pull him out forwards uphill.

I got in my truck he started his up and I revved mine to 3500 RPM as soon as he started trying to go forward, I dumped the clutch and stood on it. about 50 seconds later sitting a third a mile up the road from where I yanked him out he gets out of his truck "
Holy $#!^! man, that thing is a beast, I will never question that truck again!!!"

isn't poetic justice awesome!

caminokid 12-21-2008 11:02 AM

My first ex wifes mother used to give me crap all the time about my old car. I had a perfect 1974 Cutlass Salon. Looked like it just rolled out of the showroom. she used to tell me I needed to get rid of that old car. It was too old to be driving it everywhere. Then I asked he where her car was....1986 Plymouth Horizon...She said its at the shop. Why is it there...its a brand new car?? Something went wrong. Hmmmm. You brand new car is at the shop...and I am driving my old car...what does that tell you?

My neighbor here is always on me about my old trucks. He believes the world goes his way for some reason.

1956cameo 12-21-2008 11:23 AM

I haven't had anyone that dislikes my trucks due to their style. However many strangers, acquantinces, and family members have told me that my vehicles werent restorable, were restorable but instead I didn't have the skills or patience to fix them up. I also have had people ask why I would waste money on "that junk". When they pay my bills then they have a say so. Until then I tell them to shut the %$#@ up. Sorry I am not as kind hearted as many of you are. Of course the people that give you the most crap give you the most praise when the vehicle is back to like new condition. They still get to wave from the driveway as I take everyone who supported me during the build on a ride.

chevy71super 12-21-2008 11:29 AM

Two words "my wife"

Old Chevy Mech 12-21-2008 11:31 AM

I get comments about my 70 Blazer, funny thing is they are usually nice comments. Then when I tell them that since I bought the truck, counting body work and parts, etc, it has cost me .65 cents a day for the last 25 years. That usually shuts them right up, then the "where can I get one" starts! LOL

Frank

LuckyHenriksen 12-21-2008 11:35 AM

Haha the guys at school never dis my truck. The first time there was a bunch of people at my house, they were checkin out my truck sitting on jackstands in the garage with the suspension torn apart. I fired it up, and scared them all haha. They love how loud it is and the saw my sticker on the air cleaner that says "jet fire 350 330 HP" and are like wow that thing must haul ass!!!! then i drove it to school and did a huge burnout in the parking lot with a bunch of people cheering. the janitor tried to get me to stop cuz he was going to chew me out but i just kept driving and laughed at him

piecesparts 12-21-2008 12:50 PM

Dis it or not, you have a path to walk that many do not understand. I really like those "Tuners with the big coffee can muffs", when they think they are the tough stuff on the street. A stroked 385 SBC with Flowmasters in a 4000 lb SWB will scare them a little at the old Stoplight.

Don't get me wrong, every now and then you come across someone that has put some serious jack in their tuner and it runs righteous, but the daily turd scooter on the street, is only there to make you think of performance.

LuckyHenriksen 12-21-2008 12:59 PM

I agree, I dont really dog on the tuners, i myself have a very fast VW Jetta GLI, but I just laugh when they are covered in stickers and fart can mufflers

big_al_71 12-21-2008 01:06 PM

Don't get me wrong, every now and then you come across someone that has put some serious jack in their tuner

you got that right!!!!!

I know it first hand One of my service advisors has an EVO M.R.9 that has 658hp to the wheel we went to the track two weeks ago and it ran 11.1 at 132mph not shifting it hard it is for sure a 10.20 car on street tires. Of course he has over 20k in the power train...

thirdstreettito 12-21-2008 01:16 PM

Never got any crap about my truck. I usually give F*rd people crap about their crap. Although I drive 2 F*rds(My Jetta is broken). But a few years ago a Chevy guy killed a F*rd guy at the high school because they both thought their own were better. Needless to say, we'll do anything to protect our Chevy name! :haha:

I am getting a 2001 Jetta TDI(Diesel) in January. I plan on putting about $2K into the powertrain. After that it will have about 325hp and about 450tq. The best part is I will still get 45mpg. Stock it is about 100hp and 175-200tq. Not a rice burner. A wing burner. (We get our veggie oil from a wing joint)

whatnow123 12-21-2008 01:25 PM

I bought my truck from a friend of a friend of my girlfriend. We were talking at HH and cars came up and he mentioned his friend was moving his business...

Anyway, she was happy that had a new hobby for a short while.. then she started hating it becuase she felt I was more excited about parts/working on it then her.

Still got the truck, but she is long gone. It was a good trade.

MrBeast 12-21-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnow123 (Post 3039086)
I bought my truck from a friend of a friend of my girlfriend. We were talking at HH and cars came up and he mentioned his friend was moving his business...

Anyway, she was happy that had a new hobby for a short while.. then she started hating it becuase she felt I was more excited about parts/working on it then her.

Still got the truck, but she is long gone. It was a good trade.

I had that happen to me more than once, The only difference is now I have MORE cars! :metal: