The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil filter seal keeps blowing out. HELP!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336561)

shaneschevys 03-31-2009 08:14 PM

Oil filter seal keeps blowing out. HELP!!!

My 72 keeps blowing the oil filter seal. It is a stock 402 with 93,928 orig miles. Luckily it has only done this in the driveway & run for at the most 20 - 30 sec at a time. What could be causing this. I figure some thing is clogged up some where. It also broke the part the oil filter screws on to(sorry no pics). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Shane

Chevymann1968 03-31-2009 08:18 PM

Re: Oil filter seal keeps blowing out. HELP!!!

Well not trying to stupid or rude but your not putting it to tight and breaking the seal???

chas350 03-31-2009 08:21 PM

Do you have an oil pressure guage? If so, did you notice the pressure while it was running? Are you sure it is the correct oil filter? I had a filter screw on even though the threads were one size bigger then blow off when it started.
The wrong filter could be the problem if the flow is interrupted, the pressure could build with nowhere for it to go, causing a seal blow out.
good luck

chas350 03-31-2009 08:24 PM

Chevyman has a point, if the old filter was installed without oil on the seal and over tightened, the old seal can stick to the filter boss and can go un-noticed with the new filter and seal going over this and leaking like a sieve.

shaneschevys 03-31-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevymann1968 (Post 3231124)
Well not trying to stupid or rude but your not putting it to tight and breaking the seal???

I am only putting it on hand tight. The old seal is the first thing I checked for. It has good oil pressure till it blows the seal. As far as the filter goes first filter was a fram ph5 #2 filter was a acdelco pf1218

Chevymann1968 03-31-2009 09:23 PM

The only reason i asked is because i did it before but if it has good oil pressure then i dont know????
The engine didnt sound like that it was tapping or anything???

So.Cal.Super 03-31-2009 09:25 PM

I run a Napa Gold on mine. I took advise from the board (search oil filters) and was very happy with the results
The 72 BB calls for

Part Number: 1061

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 13/16-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=11/27
Burst Pressure-PSI: 285
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

Which seems to be the same Part # cross over as what you are using.

Couple of questions. Did this happen right after an oil change?

How much oil is in the motor? (not trying to sound stupid we have all misread a stick probably at some point.)

Hand tight plus a quarter turn? I may go a bit snugger but I have never had one leak.

Just some thoughts and questions

shaneschevys 03-31-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super (Post 3231243)
I run a Napa Gold on mine. I took advise from the board (search oil filters) and was very happy with the results
The 72 BB calls for

Part Number: 1061

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 13/16-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=11/27
Burst Pressure-PSI: 285
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

Which seems to be the same Part # cross over as what you are using.

Couple of questions. Did this happen right after an oil change?

How much oil is in the motor? (not trying to sound stupid we have all misread a stick probably at some point.)

Hand tight plus a quarter turn? I may go a bit snugger but I have never had one leak.

Just some thoughts and questions

I didn't change the oil.

Hand tight + some on the 2nd filter

I put 5 quarts in the engine.

I am afraid one of the main bearings is trying to spin & blocking the oil passage causing it to build pressure. There is no metallic in the oil. Is this possible?

beautimus 03-31-2009 09:40 PM

if the oil filter adapter broke on you that would be my first suspect.
can you give us some more background on this engine? have you recently changed camshafts, is it newly rebuilt etc.
without more to go on, my next suspicion is that the relief on the oil pump is stuck. you would have to verify that by hooking up a mechanical gauge to check and see how high the oil pressure is going at speed. it its getting up to 75 or 80 psi, that will cause a multitude of leaks.
is it by any chance a new oil pump?

bhoeger70 03-31-2009 09:49 PM

there is a pressure relief valve under the filter, if this were to be stuck in the closed position I belive it could cause this.

shaneschevys 03-31-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautimus (Post 3231274)
if the oil filter adapter broke on you that would be my first suspect.
can you give us some more background on this engine? have you recently changed camshafts, is it newly rebuilt etc.
without more to go on, my next suspicion is that the relief on the oil pump is stuck. you would have to verify that by hooking up a mechanical gauge to check and see how high the oil pressure is going at speed. it its getting up to 75 or 80 psi, that will cause a multitude of leaks.
is it by any chance a new oil pump?

I checked the relief. It moves freely.

72BLUZ 04-01-2009 11:31 PM

i would check the valve cover breater, and maybe change to a diff filter. even try flushing the engine of any debris that could be restricting the oil

6packed 04-01-2009 11:50 PM

Here's a little trick that I learned a few years back from an old time machanic, (I had the same problem) 1. drain the oil
2. replace with 1 gallon of Diesel Fuel, 3. run engine for 20 seconds, 4. drain diesel & repeat one more time, 5. install new filter & oil, 6. run engine for 5 minutes, 7. drain again, 8. Install NEW filter & Oil & your done, This seems like a lot of trouble, But Believe me, I've done this 2 times now and works nicely, & it helps break down any sludge build up.
Good Luck

So.Cal.Super 04-02-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6packed (Post 3233778)
Here's a little trick that I learned a few years back from an old time machanic, (I had the same problem) 1. drain the oil
2. replace with 1 gallon of Diesel Fuel, 3. run engine for 20 seconds, 4. drain diesel & repeat one more time, 5. install new filter & oil, 6. run engine for 5 minutes, 7. drain again, 8. Install NEW filter & Oil & your done, This seems like a lot of trouble, But Believe me, I've done this 2 times now and works nicely, & it helps break down any sludge build up.
Good Luck

I know this isn't funny 6packed but when you said sludge build up, all those Castrol commercials came to mind.

Shane I'm a bit confused, maybe I am reading it wrong but you said

"I didn't change the oil.

Hand tight + some on the 2nd filter

I put 5 quarts in the engine."

So you did change the oil and then this happened for the first time?
:confused:

truckdude239 04-02-2009 06:58 AM

just buy an oil system cleaner why put diesel fuel inside a motor where to its not maded to be?

beautimus 04-02-2009 07:57 AM

the little valve under the oil filter is a filter bypass, its there to keep from starving the engine in case the filter becomes too restricted. the pressure relief is in side the pump. if it gets hung up in the closed position, you will over pressure the engine. the weakest link will fail first. how much pressure are you getting?

Bus Ted Knuckle 04-02-2009 08:26 AM

I wouldn't run a flamable liquid in high temp, high pressure situations, in any circumstances. Not to mention what it will do to your bearings in just 20 or 30 seconds.

b-rad 04-02-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6packed (Post 3233778)
Good Luck

i have done this before and it does work on a ENG with a lot of sludge build up

68gmsee 04-02-2009 09:56 AM

I've used Phram filters for many years without any problems.

Could be a combination of things, but I'd start by replacing the oil filter adapter plate. Threads may be screwed up and filter could be working itself loose. They're fairly cheap.

ChevLoRay 04-02-2009 10:50 AM

This note is only a comment, since we're talking about flushing sludge from an engine.....

When I worked at Sears Auto Center in the mid-70's, we had an engine flush procedure that was not my concoction. If my memory serves me, it was a quart of Risolone, and some kerosene. There may have been something else, but I don't remember what. I was not a fan of the idea, but there were a lot of older engines at the time that were sludged up. Todays' oils are better but failure to maintain an engine, even with the improved oils, won't prevent the sludge if you're doing short hops and not bringing your engine up to temp and eliminating all of the condensation that can form.

As to sludge, my old solid-lifter '56 Merc had it out the wazoo. At that time, it seems that the school of thought was non-detergent oil in solid lifter engines and only the hydraulic lifter engines needed detergent in the oil. I don't buy that for now, but I comprehend the idea.

Boog 04-02-2009 11:19 AM

Since you say the oil filter adapter is now broken that will be the first thing to replace then a new AC filter. The adapters are not expensive. What weight oil are you using? After replacing the adapter get it started again and check for leaks and test the oil pressure just so you'll know.
It's probably nothing more than a worn out adapter allowing the filter to lose it's seal under pressure. It's a good thing it didn't happen while running down the hiway. ;)

shaneschevys 04-02-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautimus (Post 3234023)
the little valve under the oil filter is a filter bypass, its there to keep from starving the engine in case the filter becomes too restricted. the pressure relief is in side the pump. if it gets hung up in the closed position, you will over pressure the engine. the weakest link will fail first. how much pressure are you getting?

After talking to a friend of my dads that is what he said. I have a new pump ordered. So hopefully that will fix it. I only have the stock guage & it is now stuck in the middle with the engine shut off.

tim21391 04-02-2009 02:24 PM

i use fram ph5 on my 402 with no problem

72blue 04-02-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneschevys (Post 3234347)
After talking to a friend of my dads that is what he said. I have a new pump ordered. So hopefully that will fix it. I only have the stock guage & it is now stuck in the middle with the engine shut off.

sounds like it has been over pressured.

spinning wheels 04-02-2009 11:50 PM

Just throwing this out.

Have you checked for any clogged PCV valves? Could be your breathers are clogged causing pressure buildup in the crankcase.

As for removing sludge buildup. You can use motor flush made by Gunk. Another option is using a quart of ATF and running the motor for about 5 minutes, about the same as Gunk's motor flush. ATF acts much like a solvent and helps removes sludge. Some mechanics have claimed that engine flushing systems, that shops charge an arm and a leg, are worthless and can do more harm than good.