The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How long do you hold a part for someone before you just re sell it?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336590)

teeitup 03-31-2009 10:16 PM

How long do you hold a part for someone before you just re sell it??

OK here is the deal I sold a blazer top to a member atleast 5 years ago now, he was supposed to make the trip out here to get it but hasn't made it yet, the last time I've talked to him was atleast 3 years ago. He has paid for it but I think this is getting real ridiculus, I didn't mind storing it for awhile but I don't want to get into the storage business. He has not been on the board for 3 years. I'm getting tired of storing it. Its at my cousins place he hasn't said anything yet, I had his cell number for but can't find it anymore. My buddy said just re sell it if he hasn't came to get it in 5 years he must not care about it. Any help or ideas? Thanks Randy

shaneschevys 03-31-2009 10:20 PM

Re: How long do you hold a part for someone before you just re sell it??

I would sell it. 5 years is pretty ridiculus

cdowns 03-31-2009 10:27 PM

i would have resold it 41/2years ago

Longhorn Man 03-31-2009 10:43 PM

that's the best kind of part, double profit!

too much stuff 03-31-2009 10:50 PM

Re-sell it. If he hasn't made contact or an honest attempt to get it. I would not have waited that long.

maddog1331 03-31-2009 11:05 PM

YOu have done your part man. I would resell it. Someone who won't come pickup something they have bought is almost as bad as someone who never pays.

Liz 03-31-2009 11:14 PM

I would resell it. Id hope the dude isnt dead or somethin with no contact like that.. but after that many years, it would go bye bye

kdailey4315 03-31-2009 11:15 PM

Since you don't have his cell number I doubt you have his address. If you do I would send a certified letter to his address (or last address you have) stating that you have 30 days or however many days you feel is right to come get it or you will consider it a gift and will keep his money. Just to protect yourself.

67ChevyRedneck 03-31-2009 11:35 PM

Wow... that's a really long time... I would resell it. If I had bought it, I wouldn't have let it sit that long!

I'm lucky enough to have a good friend that let me store my short fleet bed at his property. By the time I go get it in May/June and bring it to my new place it will have been a year, but 5 years? I wouldn't ask someone to store my crap that long. I've had a 58 apache at my parents house since 1995, but I solved that recently by giving it to my pops :D

El Jay 04-01-2009 12:19 AM

IMHO, you've waited 4 3/4 years too long, unless you had other arrangements.

If you have an address, send him a refund check.

If you don't, resell the top anyhow and if he ever contacts you about the top, send him a refund check.

My Lord, Man, you have the patience of Job.

You are now the proud possessor of my .02.

LJ

fine69 04-01-2009 12:31 AM

I would have resold it along time ago(bout 4 1/2 years).

I would even consider sending money back, or trying to find the dude.

He knew he bought it. He knows he didnt pick it up.

Sorry about his luck.

BowTieMan 04-01-2009 12:42 AM

Him "Hey dude you still got that top I bought?"

You " No man you picked that up like 4 years ago"

Him " No I didn't."

You "Hmmm... then where the hell is that top???"

lol I agree with everybody else man.

Gray Ghost 04-01-2009 12:57 AM

Wow....that's WAYYY to long for holding a part. I understand your frustration. A strict deadline might be the best way to set a boundary on it.

I've got a woodworking shop air cleaner that I have been holding since January..sure wish he'd come get it....he's got a few weeks left before I do away with it.

OARNGESI 04-01-2009 04:27 AM

Sell it 5 years of storage charges should be more than the top is worth

chuckmc8 04-01-2009 05:46 AM

Randy, If he bought it being advertised on this board, or if you had communications thru this board, I would use this as a means of 'last resort' communication and post an "official" notice here, that he should contact you within 30 days or the merchandise resold without refund.
If he contacts you, tell him to get in within 30 days and if he does not, sell it with good conscience, now with a record that you made a 'good faith' effort to find him-hth, chuck

sjarrett71 04-01-2009 07:25 AM

In some states, unless other arrangements have been made, after 30 days it is considered to be abandoned property. If you told him "I'll hold it as long as you need me to" then you have entered into a verbal contract that might stand up in court if he chooses to fight you over it. After this long I don't think he will though.

Like others have said, you're a patient man and I just hope the guy is not dead or something.

teeitup 04-01-2009 08:18 AM

THANKS for the input, EVERYONE!!!! When he bought it he said he wanted to wait for a nice weekend to drive his blazer out to get it, well that never came in the first 2 years, then he got ahold of me and said he would make plans to come get it, I told him it was alright where it was for a little while, now thats been 3 years. I personally think I've gave him enough time to come get it so I'll will be listing it for sale soon, I have to get pics of it. Now don't get me wrong on this I do not mind storing parts that are paid for for awhile, but this has just gone on too long. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! Randy

weircc 04-01-2009 08:38 AM

WAIT WAIT that was me where are you at these days so i can come this thing lololololol.

just playing i would send certified letter for sure but refund is out of the question if anything he should pay more for storage.

Shane 04-01-2009 09:08 AM

Sell it. He would have come gotten it already if he really wanted it.

68gmsee 04-01-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdailey4315 (Post 3231562)
Since you don't have his cell number I doubt you have his address. If you do I would send a certified letter to his address (or last address you have) stating that you have 30 days or however many days you feel is right to come get it or you will consider it a gift and will keep his money. Just to protect yourself.

I agree... This is the best way to handle it.

I would NOT refund the money unless you just want to be a nice guy and the buyer has been ill or joined the military. Five years of storing is more than enough. Storage fees are probably more than the item is worth.

I would add to also notify the forum staff of the specifics and your attempt to contact the member. Let them know that you intend to resell the item if no action is taken by buyer in 30 days.

1970cstblazer 04-01-2009 09:31 AM

I would have sold it a long time ago.

72BLUZ 04-01-2009 11:26 PM

if he agreed to pick it up and didnt after he said he would. then its open season. sell it and move on

70cst 04-01-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jay (Post 3231699)
IMHO, you've waited 4 3/4 years too long, unless you had other arrangements.
If you have an address, send him a refund check.
If you don't, resell the top anyhow and if he ever contacts you about the top, send him a refund check.
My Lord, Man, you have the patience of Job.
You are now the proud possessor of my .02.
LJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by OARNGESI (Post 3231854)
Sell it 5 years of storage charges should be more than the top is worth

I vote for the two above...teeitup--you have been more than fair. The only exception is if he does come up with a "really" good reason as to why he never picked it up. Otherwise...Merry Christmas!

Critter 04-01-2009 11:35 PM

Sooooo....what's this top look like? Dibs on it if its a decent single wall :lol:

Seriously, let me know. HA!

69halfton 04-01-2009 11:43 PM

go ahead and re-sell, just make a note of how much the guy paid you the first time around,

and if he does ever contact you again, be prepared to refund some money.. that would be the only way i could sell it and not feel guilty.:smoke: