The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Vintage Home Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=340009)

Mudder 04-20-2009 10:34 AM

Vintage Home Audio

2 Attachment(s)
I love it and have been collecting components for several years. The integrated amps have a lot of noise in the swtiches, contols etc. Oxidation and dirt. I have been visiting another forum for vintage stereos and found that a lot of the ppl there use this stuff called Deoxit. I finally bought some of the stuff last week. 17 buck for a 5 oz. can. Pretty pricey stuff. Easy to use. Just spray into the toggles, switches any way you can get it in there. Gravity helps. Amazingly the first amp I did which was in really bad shape came out with no noise anywhere with my first attempt. After you use the Deoxit they recomend using the same brand of stuff called fader lube. It lubes the controls and keeps them from oxidizing again.

Here if you take one component in to have repaired or cleaned it is $100.00 up front then additional charges for what they do after that are added. The cleaner and lube cost me around $50.00 so I am saving big time byt doing ti myself.

Frizzle Fry 04-20-2009 03:32 PM

Re: Vintage Home Audio

Cools stuff man! What's the primary component in the Deoxit?

Mudder 04-20-2009 06:06 PM

http://store.caig.com/

You can read about it here. You may be able to get it other places.

msgross 04-20-2009 08:34 PM

Fader Lube ya say??? i'll save that comment for Shop Talk!

nice equipment though.. reel to reel isn't very common is it?

Lugnut64052 04-20-2009 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out my shop tunage. I built this system one component at a time in the late '70s - early '80s and was my house system for 25 years. It still cranks out deep, rich sound. Still need to install my turntable in the top shelf.

Some of the switches on my receiver got noisy over the years. A good blasting with the Deoxit cleared that right up.

I always wanted a reel-to-reel, for the coolness factor if nothing else. The guy in the dorm room next to me in college had a big Pioneer one and always did all the dance music for the whole dorm. After coveting one for a long time I finally admitted to myself that reel-to-reels aren't the way I listen to music anyway. I usually play tunes individually, one making me think of the next, depending on mood.

Anyway, nice setup you have there.

Mudder 04-20-2009 08:57 PM

ms reel to reel's are real common with the old vintage buffs. Same as the turntable and tube amps. Old tube amps are going for thousands now. Who would have thought. They have a good warm sound to them.

Myself, I still believe a good sounding turntable, a nice clean album on a good stereo sounds better than any cd.

Just finsished up the second of the day. A SA-8800 integrated amp. No more unwanted noise in the volume control. :)

Mudder 04-20-2009 09:00 PM

Good looking stuff there Lugnut. Is that a Pioneer Reciever?

caminokid 04-20-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudder (Post 3268864)
Good looking stuff there Lugnut. Is that a Pioneer Reciever?

thats a Pioneer...looks like a SX 750...or could be a 850.

I have a Kenwood KR9940. I will get pics of it up later. All my equipment is no newer then 20 years old.

Lugnut64052 04-20-2009 11:48 PM

Good eye, caminokid. That one is a Pioneer SX-880, 65 watter. Essentially the same as the 850, just the next model which added power meters.

I had an SX-750 for years also. Same, rich, clean, powerful sound. It was 50 watts and would rattle the shingles. I finally gave it away to a cousin, who still uses it every day.

Quote:

Myself, I still believe a good sounding turntable, a nice clean album on a good stereo sounds better than any cd.
Quite true. There's a warmth and richness to vinyl that never translated to CD. I read somewhere the other day that records are making something of a minor comeback, with a private label or two beginning to press some new ones. Wouldn't that be cool . . . .

special-K 04-21-2009 07:41 AM

I love my album collection and turntable.I started off with used amp,pre-amp,and tuner.I can`t even remember names except one piece was a Heathkit and Marantz may have been another piece.The amp was tube-type.It all got stolen years ago along with the AR turntable & speakers.

Mudder 04-21-2009 11:13 AM

Finished up his morning putting everything back together. I can honestly say that there is no noise in anything. The tuners in the bedroom and I have tried two different ones don't seem to recieve as good as the one in the living room. For another day to figure that out. I figure I just saved myself around $500 bucks cleaning all this stuff myself.

The way the truck ran when I got it out last week, I will probably need the 500 to get it running. It wasn't good at all. Concerned.

caminokid 04-21-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnut64052 (Post 3269299)
Good eye, caminokid. That one is a Pioneer SX-880, 65 watter. Essentially the same as the 850, just the next model which added power meters.

I had an SX-750 for years also. Same, rich, clean, powerful sound. It was 50 watts and would rattle the shingles. I finally gave it away to a cousin, who still uses it every day.

I love Pioneer. I collected them for years. I am looking for a SX1980. Yeah I know good luck on that one.

Mudder 04-21-2009 04:17 PM

I would like to get into the Spec I and II components. I am also happy with what I have. Not sure if there is any better sounding amp than the SA-9100. It came out in 1973. Lots of power.