The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Longhorn Club ?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=348812)

hilandr452 06-16-2009 09:43 PM

Longhorn Club ??

This may be a question for Longhorn Man, but does anyone know if a longhorn club exists? Would be nice to get together with others who share our love.

:gmc2:

Dan

stllookn 06-17-2009 01:57 AM

Re: Longhorn Club ??

1 Attachment(s)
There is a Longhorn group on this board...but I can't seem to find my way back there.

There is this one in Texas that my friend belongs to but I am not sure it is what you were thinking about.

Longhorn Man 06-17-2009 05:21 AM

nothing that I am aware of

69GMCLonghorn 06-17-2009 10:26 AM

It would be nice, but I'm not as "in love" with my Longhorn as I was when I bought it. The truck? Absolutely... The extra length? Not any more...The fact that NO camper shell will ever fit it, without making me look like I mow lawns for a living pretty much stinks... The fact that no normal garage (at least in my neck o' the woods) will EVER fit my truck is another drawback... The fact that it has the turning radius of a Greyhound bus... But it's "unique", so I keep it... Some day I'll sell it for 5% of what I have into it... and buy another one and start all over...

stllookn 06-17-2009 11:09 AM

Love mine and will use it as an RV with a camper when it is finished. Try this Social Group on the board. It does not get much traffic...but...but...but.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/group.php?groupid=22

69GMCLonghorn 06-17-2009 11:15 AM

I had thought about going that route, but I'd need to drop another $5 - $10K into it to make it a good long distance vehicle. My seat takes uncomfortable to new levels. I get 10 MPG empty because I don't have an O/D. I would want cruise control installed, and probably Vintage Air. Instead I've just decided to enjoy it as a cruiser and not work it for the moment.

hilandr452 06-18-2009 07:59 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I plan to take mine back to original condition and just use it to haul my boat to the lake. I get 8-10 mpg with the 402 BB. My motorhome gets about 6 mpg right now with the 454. lol

Dan

WorkinLonghorn 06-18-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a Longhorn group on this board...but I can't seem to find my way back there.

There is this one in Texas that my friend belongs to but I am not sure it is what you were thinking about.
Attached Images
That's pretty funny. A lot of cars and trucks have been trying to breed with my "Longhorn" for years but all they've managed to produce is stripped off moldings and crooked bumpers.

WorkinLonghorn 06-18-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

It would be nice, but I'm not as "in love" with my Longhorn as I was when I bought it. The truck? Absolutely... The extra length? Not any more...The fact that NO camper shell will ever fit it, without making me look like I mow lawns for a living pretty much stinks... The fact that no normal garage (at least in my neck o' the woods) will EVER fit my truck is another drawback... The fact that it has the turning radius of a Greyhound bus... But it's "unique", so I keep it... Some day I'll sell it for 5% of what I have into it... and buy another one and start all over...
Yeah,I've never seen a camper with a 8 1/2 length for these, but I like mine a lot because with the sides up I can fit about 18 cubic feet more stuff than a regular LB. And the springs are great. Even the guys loading mine at the sod or soil amendment places are surprised at how much weight it easily handles.
As for parking, if you clean out the end of the garage and back it in all the way, it will fit in a regular space.
I still really like mine, I'm a little bummed by the fact that I had to put a near pristine original owner truck to work and now it's not looking too good.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/IMG_0429.jpg

69GMCLonghorn 06-18-2009 10:25 AM

Was that picture taken in Glendale? Looks really familiar...

I loaded mine once, before I did the bed wood and paint. We estimate that I had around 3500 lbs in the back. I still had plenty of suspension left. It rode like a Cadillac!

And hey, don't worry about working it. You can always paint it and knock the dents out when you feel like it.

WorkinLonghorn 06-18-2009 01:37 PM

Studio City and yeah, I've already started thinking about fixing up the dents.

69GMCLonghorn 06-18-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn (Post 3366978)
Studio City and yeah, I've already started thinking about fixing up the dents.

If you feel like taking a drive this Sunday morning, there's a fairly new Cars n' Coffee get-together in Santa Clarita. I will be there with my truck. It's at the corner of Valencia Ave and The Old Road. It's supposed to be a huge gathering from about 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM.

juliejacobs 06-18-2009 03:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I check in once in a while. I love my longhorn. I inherited it from my dad when he passed away about 1 year ago. I've been taking care of it, as my dad did too and I want to continue the "tradition". I sure gets the looks, and once in a while someone who really know what it is will wave or smile big time at me. I drive it every other weekend just to keep the fluids moving and gas fresh. I just had the hubcaps restored and will add pics as I can.

WorkinLonghorn 06-18-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

If you feel like taking a drive this Sunday morning, there's a fairly new Cars n' Coffee get-together in Santa Clarita. I will be there with my truck. It's at the corner of Valencia Ave and The Old Road. It's supposed to be a huge gathering from about 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM.
Thanks, I'm sorely tempted,but my truck really would be embarassing. I'd have to park it a couple blocks away and what fun would that be?

WorkinLonghorn 06-18-2009 07:22 PM

JulieJacobs, That there is one fine Longhorn! Does it have air? Auto or manual? Sorry if this is posted elsewhere,I didn't see the thread if it exists. WLH

Longhorn Man 06-18-2009 07:46 PM

Julie has some awesome photos of that longhorn. I can't remember where she had to go to get it, but I seem to remember it was 1000 miles or so? She sent me a handfull of photos from her trip, they are somewhere on my other computer.
It's a real nice truck.

hilandr452 06-18-2009 07:54 PM

I really need to find some like minded people to hang with here. The guys I work with think my truck is a POS and it really pisses me off when they make comments about it. It's the only thing that really gets me mad, normally I just ignore the morons.

I know it shouldn't bother me, I'm 40 for Pete's sake. It's kinda like when you were a kid and someone said something about your mom. I just see red.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../349685229.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../349679907.jpg

I think she's beautiful.

Dan

WorkinLonghorn 06-18-2009 08:45 PM

That's a nice longhorn,and a big block 71 to boot.
Those guys are either idiots or they are jealous.
When they run their mouths about your truck,just realize that you have a really nice truck that if DIFFERENT!!! - some guys need to run with a herd on everything,we here know what is really "cool".

stllookn 06-18-2009 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I just had the hubcaps restored and will add pics as I can.
juliejacobs, Where did you have the caps restored, price (if you don't mind me asking) and do you have close-ups of them?

Hours old Longhorn, Ivy in the middle on the ground (you can hardly see her). Chili Pepper. bull, on the right at over 2500 lb and Lilly, mother, on the left.

hilandr452 06-18-2009 09:08 PM

Thanks for that WorkinLonghorn. Much appreciated. Heres a couple pics I just shot, as those were a few months old and I have the emblems on the hood again.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL122.../367440351.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL122.../367440343.jpg

Dan

hilandr452 06-20-2009 12:14 AM

Bump

69GMCLonghorn 06-20-2009 12:16 AM

You can bump all night long. I still don't think there's a longhorn club... I'm in LA with 4.10 gears. I could be in Colorado in about 6 months and $2000 in gas... Let's meet up.

Willys47 06-20-2009 12:21 AM

Has any one have pics of a lowerd or baged long horn now that would be uncommon , somthing I'd like to see.

69GMCLonghorn 06-20-2009 12:25 AM

About 4 years ago, I drove my '67 Caddy out to Vegas for a few days. There was a guy out there with a slammed Longhorn. As I was telling my buddy how much I didn't like it, 3 of the world's HOTTEST chicks got out of the cab. The guy got out of the driver's side and I almost wanted to bow down to him... I refrained...

hilandr452 06-20-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn (Post 3369878)
You can bump all night long. I still don't think there's a longhorn club... I'm in LA with 4.10 gears. I could be in Colorado in about 6 months and $2000 in gas... Let's meet up.

LOL let me know when you get here!!

Dan