The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A bed made into a trailer? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=355707)

oklahomaduner 08-01-2009 04:15 PM

A bed made into a trailer?

Have any of you guys seen a 60-66 style step-side bed made into a trailer? Or does anyone have pics? I'm thinkin a longbed stepside would look kinda cool as a trailer with some 38's on it....

Northern lights 08-01-2009 05:08 PM

Re: A bed made into a trailer?

I made a utility trailer from a '60 shortbed stepside but don't have any pictures. Made a nice trailer as I recall. Seems to me that I traded it for a cast iron clawfoot bathtub?.

oklahomaduner 08-01-2009 05:28 PM

Ya, I'm looking for a trailer that matches my truck so I thought what better than a truck bed? Lol I'd really like pics if anyone has any

jonzcustomshop 08-01-2009 09:24 PM

I have a fleet p.u. box trailer...

oklahomaduner 08-01-2009 10:37 PM

Any pics of it?

Captainfab 08-02-2009 12:58 AM

I have a long fleetside trailer as well.....it's not pretty though. Right now it's being used to store extra parts in. I've made quite a few of them in the past. They're pretty easy to do, although most I've seen the guys make them into an ugly conglomeration of crap welded together for the tongue.

If you do make one, just cut the frame up by the front cab mounts, cut a pie shape in the top and bottom frame flange just in front of the trail;ing arm crossmember, pull the frame sides together and weld on an A-frame coupler. Of course that's the simplified version, it takes some measuring and figuring to get it right, but it looks so much nicer than most I've seen. I can help you with the measurements if you need.

oklahomaduner 08-02-2009 01:18 AM

Hmm.. But my thinking is I will just buy a new bed for my truck and use my current bed to play with body work and make a frame and floor for it, throw a lift under it and run the same tires and wheels as I have on my truck. I just can't really picture it..

jonzcustomshop 08-02-2009 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
only shot I have.. these are all over up here.. people use them for firewood.
lots of steps too, I have never got a pic of one though..
your idea might look good with matching tire, and ride hieght.

aerotruk63 08-02-2009 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
19 year old picture. Used a 6 lug trailer hubs. Straight axel with 2000lb. trailer leaf springs. Wanted something to pull behind the truck so when I could go scrapyarding I could have the truck on site for measurements and comparison then haul the parts home in the trailer. Thought of having a sprayed on bed liner applied to the inside of the trailer box then putting a removable foam caulking around the tailgate, filling it with water and cooling myself off at truck shows sitting in my portable pool. The trailer draw bar is removable for more compact storage. You can also get a cheap tent to erect in the box, better than sleeping on the ground.

Apache63 08-02-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerotruk63 (Post 3442987)
19 year old picture. Used a 6 lug trailer hubs. Straight axel with 2000lb. trailer leaf springs. Wanted something to pull behind the truck so when I could go scrapyarding I could have the truck on site for measurements and comparison then haul the parts home in the trailer. Thought of having a sprayed on bed liner applied to the inside of the trailer box then putting a removable foam caulking around the tailgate, filling it with water and cooling myself off at truck shows sitting in my portable pool. The trailer draw bar is removable for more compact storage. You can also get a cheap tent to erect in the box, better than sleeping on the ground.

very nice trailer !!!:metal:

Pat

oklahomaduner 08-02-2009 08:00 PM

Hell ya that is what im i
looking for. that looks good