The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Any custom built BBQ's/Smokers? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=371810)

72BlckButy 11-13-2009 09:57 PM

Any custom built BBQ's/Smokers?

With winter snarling its nose, I've had my mind on BBQ for some reason, and have wanted to master the art of smoking meat. Since this has been on my mind I've been considering building my own smoker.

Let's see your attempts, and/or, successful attempts.

Bus Ted Knuckle 11-14-2009 12:52 AM

Re: Any custom built BBQ's/Smokers?

I have not built one, but I sure have been wanting to build one too. I'd love to see some that others have built.

UltraBlue71 11-14-2009 01:42 AM

I loves me some BBQ (what self respecting American doesnt?)

Here are some good ideas, what cant you do with a 55 gallon drum???

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Here are some plans for an inexpensive electric smoker, I have built a couple of trash can smokers similar to this and had success with them

Same principle but in a drum, dont know if I like his castors tho, I bet they would melt, I have seen these work really well

You can also slice the drum in half (clam shell) use hinges and build a firebox on one end, this way you can grill on it and smoke with the firebox

suprachrgd82 12-11-2009 07:58 PM

This one's pretty simple:

Parts:
One 55-gallon, open top drum
extanded steel grille
1/4" steel rods
Mini-Weber BBQ
Wok pan
U-bolt, nuts

There's 3 rows of holes at 3 heights for grille placement. The rods go all the way tru, with a "T" welded on one end to stop them. Low for hot cooking, high for med/warm cooking, and top for hanging ribs & jerky.

The Mini-Weber sits in the bottom.

The Wok is for wet-smoking. Put citrus, beer, garlic, onion, spices, etc for a little extra flavor. It goes right on top of the Weber for flavorful steam with the smoke.

One 1/2" hole was drilled at the base for fresh air to feed the Weber.

I burnt all of the paint off first (big bonfire). No chemicals in my food. The ouside is lightly covered in candlewax to prevent rust.

Here's the Thanksgiving bird:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...xMjYtMTIzN.jpg

mbgmike 12-16-2009 07:43 PM

I'm from Texas. We have just about any shape or design known to man.
From ones that are on 40 ft semi truck trailers with a Miller Beer bottle made out of steel to just about any thing imagined. I used to be on a team that took 4'th Place in the Houston Live Stock show and Rodeo one time. For an example night. we went through $1500 dollars worth of Brisket 2200 long necks of beer and 1200 frozen marquaritas. That was one night in a four nite event. I will see if I can post/find some pics.

mbgmike 12-16-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3619051)
With winter snarling its nose, I've had my mind on BBQ for some reason, and have wanted to master the art of smoking meat. Since this has been on my mind I've been considering building my own smoker.

Let's see your attempts, and/or, successful attempts.

If you need plans i can get you some for ones that actually WORK and not look goofy

72BlckButy 12-19-2009 09:23 PM

Mike that would be great... can't wait to see what plans you have.

mbgmike 12-20-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3683462)
Mike that would be great... can't wait to see what plans you have.

I will see with some of the guys around the fab shops and rig welders here. They build some good ones

Hottrucks 12-20-2009 09:05 PM

Ok I'm new to smoking been maybe doing it for about a year or two...one thing I have learned is that I like the side burner much better than the drum style.... more heat control with out opening the lid...every time you open it add 15 min to you cook time....also that all the smoke flavor is done in the first hour or so once the meat get's sealed ( the bark) the smoke doesn't penitrate.....

so guys teach me more!!

lofly'a 12-20-2009 11:06 PM

heres my take after grilling & smoking for the last 20 years, i am by no means an expert but i have learned a few things along the way.
smokers with a separate firebox are the best all around units to have although you can indirect cook on a regular bbq pit. a smoker is capable of doing both (grill and smoke), but a regular grill does not make a good smoker, because you need to be able to totally isolate the meat from direct heat or flare-ups will burn an otherwise beautiful piece of meat and your meal. i also am not a fan of gas grills, but that is because i like the smoked flavor (i have owned 1 before), and no matter how much i have tried wood chips and water trays it aint the same so i gave the gas grill away.
for all intensive purposes, i refer to grilling as fairly close to the coals (350-375 deg.), direct heat as over the coals but not close (300-325 deg.), and indirect heat (smoking) as away from coals at a reduced cooking temp. (275-300 deg.)
here are my tips:
pork spareribs - 1st and most important is to tear the white membrane away from the underside of the ribs. season to your liking (l like dry-rub), grill on direct heat for 45 mins. on each side, this gets the smoke flavor in, and seals. wrap totally in foil and return to indirect heat for 2 hrs. membrane side down, remove foil and return to indirect heat for 20 mins each side basting with bbq sauce if desired. (this is guaranteed fall off the bone).

baby-backs - same as spareribs but, reduce foil wrapped cooking time to 1 hour (this is a smaller more tender cut of meat). you won't be able to get the membrane off because it's too tender

beef brisket - (average 8-10 pounds) i marinate for 24 hrs. in fridge then bring to room temp before grilling, remove all but about 3/4" of the fat layer, add dry seasoning but don't rub on, (i poke holes and stuff with about 2 cloves of garlic too) grill each side for 1.5 hrs, then place in one of those disposable aluminum pans and seal with foil, return to indirect heat for about 4.5 hours with the fat side up. let it rest for 15 mins., remove meat from pan, place on cutting and slice to your liking. a brisket cooked totally unwrapped will 99% of the time be as tough a shoe leather, that's my experience, and i have known others that won't attempt again because of too many failures.

chicken - this is a broad area in that it can be done in so many ways, so i'll share mine. as a general rule i will only "grill" chicken portions that have no bone, so if you can debone it u can "grill" it.
1. chicken halves, quarters, and boned pieces should be cooked over indirect heat until they reach the correct internal temps, preseasoned however you like, and post basted to your liking.

2. my favorite is drunk chicken as we call it down here: you need a chicken a can of beer 1 onion, dry rub, and any other veggies that you like to flavor with (garlic, bell pepper, etc...)
open the beer and drink half :metal: cut the top off the can to get other ingredients in, cut up veggies only small enough to get them in the can, shove the beer can up the chickens rear and position the legs so that it will sit upright on the grill or you can buy a "beer can chicken holder" at most major retailers. apply dry rub, place on indirect heat for about 2.5 hours. remove carefully (hot liquids in beer can) dispose of beer can ingredients and enjoy chicken.

i do smoke/grill/bbq other meats like turkey, fish, shrimp, corn, apples, etc.. and i may be able to help if you ask soooo............

as a dry rub i only use "Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning", so if you can't get it improvise. if you'd like to try some PM me and we'll see what can be done to get you some.

As a rule of the terms i use, when you "grill" it can be done with the top open or closed, but "indirect" and "smoking" must be done with the top closed as much as possible, as stated in the previous post opening the lid extends cooking so be patient. i use charcoal brickets as basic heat as they won't flame unless fat drips on them or they get too much air (heat control is important), and you can add some different woods to add other flavors, but if you do this soak your wood chips in water overnight or they'll just burn up really fast without giving any extra flavor, and they might cause flare-ups that burn your meat even if you are indirect cooking.

i can smoke in just about anything, the secret is heat control and positioning. the old smoke houses of long ago were just wood framed buildings with a constant heat source and stack thru the roof that used a slow even heat. if your bbq pit does not have a temp gauge, get one. they can be had at most sporting goods stores that sell bbq supplies, kitchen stores, bass pro shops, cabellas, on-line etc...... HAPPY SMOKING/grilling!!!!

Hottrucks 12-20-2009 11:51 PM

thanx for the write up
here a question I have been fighting with ..I have been using chips but have done som e readin g on Chunks instead is one better than the other?? I ususlly soak my chips and will some times put the chip water in a can then put over the coals so it gets steam and flavor??

lofly'a 12-21-2009 12:14 AM

either chip or chunk is fine. if you are using chips or chunks in a water pan you will not get as much smoke flavor though. the water will give off an aromatic steam and the wood/smoke flavor will be lessened because to smoke you actually have to burn the wood slowly(this is the reason for adding aromatic woods). water pans are more suited for gas rigs. the key to smoke flavor in a smoker is to make it smoke by choking the heat down and just let it smolder for a while. i really think the term smoke has been miss-understood for many years. when old smokehouses actually were used smoking a whole ham could actually be a month or longer process. when we are referring to smoking on a bbq pit we are essentially slow cooking and adding the smoke flavor in the process.
if you are wanting that aromatic wood flavor you are on the right track, keep experimenting and you'll have found a combination that causes fights at cook-outs (joke), and samplers of your cuisine wanting you to cook for them at every outting.

i've devise a lecture for all the younger guys wanting to learn that i call "bbq for dummies" that makes everyone think you've been doing it for years, slaved over it, and have perfected the grill. the secrets are seasoning, maintaining moisture/juices, and controllling the process. once you learn to do those things, anything edible can be grilled.

i have a custom built 10' long bbq pit with a firebox on one end and a smoking chamber on the other sitting on a tow behind trailer that is used 2 or 3 time a year but i mostly use a smaller smoker pit that i built that'll cook enough for 10 to 12 people for regular use. the big units ARE a lot of work to keep going.

72BlckButy 12-23-2009 03:51 PM

Awesome writeup lofly'a! I'm going to read through it again, that was informational.

andrewmp6 01-06-2010 05:50 AM

I have done beer can chicken a few times,But i use a Camerons Beer Can Chicken Roaster its a stainless tube you put the beer in and shove the chicken over.I don't trust cooking it with the inks on the can and the cans lining.

lofly'a 01-06-2010 02:29 PM

i agree with you on the ink and aluminum "andrewmp6". i more so am worried about the aluminum part than the ink though. i quit using aluminum for any cooking years ago after it was linked to alzheimers. i do have a stainless container that i welded legs to for my chicken.

bigdsr56 01-06-2010 09:00 PM

SBC cooker

3 Attachment(s)
How about a Chevy smoker?

Slick17 01-07-2010 12:24 PM

Holy ****! I want one just like that. That's awesome.

65gmc930 01-10-2010 09:04 PM

Re: SBC cooker

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdsr56 (Post 3715061)
How about a Chevy smoker?

That is Cool:metal:
Is that your handy work?

bigdsr56 01-11-2010 01:37 AM

No,can't claim that one. Dig up an old block,etc.,I could probably do one tho.