The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Truck choosing advice needed (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=373425)

jeromio 11-24-2009 07:27 PM

Truck choosing advice needed

I've been hunting for a 67-72 SWB. I've found some LWBs, but around here the shortboxes are hard to find - well, for reasonable prices that is. I currently have 2 trucks to choose from. One is a 68 that supposedly has decent and recent (2003) paint with no rust. However, the color is burgundy (bleh) and it has 3-on-tree, manual steering and manual 4 wheel drum brakes. He wants $4500. No pics and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. The other one is a 1970. Pics are here: http://jeromio.com/trucksearch (erg, crazy gallery thing - that's not a direct link, you have to click on the 1970morgantown link). This one has th350, discs and PS and he wants $3K for it. Has lots of rust in some bad spots. But he has another cab to go with it. Now, I do not need another project right now, but it seems like fixing the rust spots on the extra cab and at some future point swapping it over wouldn't be a terribly bad project. The alternative is to get the other truck, spend 50% more money and then swap discs and PS on that one (and live with the color - not that orange is that much better). Both trucks would need paint at some point. Both are 350SBC and supposedly run well (have not investigated yet).

I need the truck to haul some stuff in the short term (for one of my other projects). So being able to drive it now is important. I've driven no PS, manual drum vehicles before and it's not pleasant. But then, it looks like the tailgate and driver door hinge area are in pretty bad shape on the other truck. I could probably do some quick welding fixes on that stuff .

Opinions from the experts? I know ppl are going to say "just keep looking". I know, but I have been and it's really slim pickings for a fleetside SWB at <$10K and almost impossible for <$5K (I don't like the stepsides). You might also say "up your buying budget and save $$$ in the long run". I know - and I've learned and re-learned that lesson before also. I really need a hauler now though and most all of my spare dollars are going to this other big project. You might also say just get the LWB, sell it after the short term need is over. That's probably a smart move too, but I really want a SWB ;).

69GMCLonghorn 11-24-2009 07:47 PM

Re: Truck choosing advice needed

Why not buy both and marry the best pieces together, and E-bay what you don't need?

Personally I don't mind the 3 on the tree. It's unusual to say the least. As for the drum brakes, I drove on them for years and never knew the difference. No P/S is a pain when parking, but to be quite honest, I MUCH prefer the feel of manual steering once you're above about 3 MPH.

Sinister 11-24-2009 07:53 PM

I'd go for the one with no rust. Sounds like you're going to repaint anyway.

mclairmo 11-24-2009 08:33 PM

Alway avoid rust unless you are a glutton for punishment. Save up your money and buy the best truck you can afford now. Will save you money in the long run. Also, keep it driveable while you fix it up. If you don't you really risk losing interest and selling it at a loss.

LockDoc 11-24-2009 08:53 PM

-
On another note... :welcoem:. to the board...:)

LockDoc

Zoomin 11-24-2009 09:16 PM

I'd keep looking.

epashhans 11-24-2009 09:20 PM

Buy the best long wheel base truck that you can find and then down the road convert it over to a swb. There are quite a few guys on here that are doing it right...if you search "LFD low budget build" and follow his build, he pretty much steps you through what you need to do. Its a lot of work, but if all you have is time (and some tools) and not so much money, it can be done. Just a thought to throw into your current mix while in dilemma-ville! ;)

jeromio 11-25-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epashhans (Post 3637719)
Buy the best long wheel base truck that you can find and then down the road convert it over to a swb. There are quite a few guys on here that are doing it right...if you search "LFD low budget build" and follow his build, he pretty much steps you through what you need to do. Its a lot of work, but if all you have is time (and some tools) and not so much money, it can be done. Just a thought to throw into your current mix while in dilemma-ville! ;)

Yeah, I read LDF's thread and the "convert LWB to SWB" falls under the big project heading for me.

I really really hate drum brakes. They don't work, they're complicated and difficult to maintain - blech. That front disc swap is not cheap - it's either j/y parts + lotsa time or it's a $1K kit and still some time. (btw, I have a LSD disc brake rear from an 87 T/A in the garage that should bolt up to a truck pretty nicely)

I'm really leaning towards the orange rusty truck. Drivable now and I can tinker with the little bit of rust on the spare cab when I feel like it. Once that's wrapped up, paint the whole thing. The rust in the bed is an extra variable. I know if I wait I'll just find something else with different but equally unpleasant trade-offs (market dynamics being what they are). Plus, like I said, I really just need a truck to haul crap with now. The smart choice is the LWB since that would actually do more work for me. There are 2 decent ones not far away - one for $2K and it has A/C. It's really too bad I can't just be practical :hh:

woodman13 11-25-2009 02:40 AM

I always steer clear of painted trucks due to the ability to hide bad body/rust repair with hours of bondo work. I always like to see the rust I will have to fix. If you can do the rust repair yourself and have the tools...I would by the 1970. I like the LWB trucks better, I can usually find them with a/c, ps, disc brakes and pb and far cheaper and they ride better with small improvments. good luck

wancosc356 11-25-2009 03:57 AM

Ive got a 67 swb that I could bring to you. Its got a stepside bed but you could find a fleetside bed to swap. Plus Im only asking $1700.

jeromio 11-25-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman13 (Post 3638444)
I always steer clear of painted trucks due to the ability to hide bad body/rust repair with hours of bondo work. I always like to see the rust I will have to fix. If you can do the rust repair yourself and have the tools...I would by the 1970.

That's a good point and is something that I have indeed considered. I hate body work - very tedious. I'm currently working on a 71 240Z and POs made extensive use of the bondo over rust technique. To quote FlavaFlav, "take a small problem, make a small problem bigga".
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman13 (Post 3638444)
I like the LWB trucks better, I can usually find them with a/c, ps, disc brakes and pb and far cheaper and they ride better with small improvments. good luck

Agreed - there are 2 LWBs near me, fully loaded, decent shape for <$3K. I just don't dig that length. Something about it bugs me.

I just found another SWB that is mid-project for $2500. Body work started (not complete) and all glass & trim removed. Has all options, which would be really nice. It's tempting, but then I would need to finish the b/w and get it painted b4 being able to drive it. Otherwise, buy glass seals and install glass and then paint it later? Ugh, that would be a shame. At the price I could drop it off at a body shop to get completed. But who knows how long that could take.

PanelDeland 11-25-2009 08:13 PM

jeromo,there are too many decent trucks around the area to "settle" for something you don't really like.If the issue was fleet vs step then that's a simple change.
Do you plan on keeping the truck after the parts hauling is done?
Also for me at least mechanicals are easier and cheaper than Bodywork.

brn agn 11-25-2009 09:14 PM

Hello from another NC resident. Earlier this year, I bought a 69 SWB with drum brakes and I thought that I would drive it "as is" after I got it running. However, after I drove it a few times, I realized that I needed disc brakes...so I started pulling it apart to do a disc brake conversion. While it was torn down, I decided to lower it. Then, I reasoned that if the suspension and brakes were upgraded, I should fix some rust in the firewall and it just kept going. 6 months later and I am just now getting to the point where I can drive it again.

The point of this is that I think you should buy something you can drive right away. The 1970 looks decent from the outside despite the rust issues. I recommend buying it, driving it and fixing it as you have time.

Longhorn Man 11-25-2009 10:57 PM

converting to discs and power steering is WAY WAY WAY cheaper than doing a butt load of body work.
If they both run fine, I'd go for the better body truck.
Burgandy can look sharp, kinda like a classy hot rod look. Put some older style chrome rims and some chrome trim, and it'll look sharp.

jeromio 11-26-2009 04:23 PM

Yeah, I have a lot to ponder. I do often suffer from the "while I'm at it" project escalation syndrome. A simple disc swap could could easily blow up into a restoration.

Agreed on bodywork, but I do worry about paint hiding rust.

Whatever truck I get I do plan to keep for a good long while. Pondering upping my budget to $7K, which I know I shouldn't do, but it opens up a few more possibilities. I'm going to go look at the rusty 70 and the taken apart truck tomorrow.

mr48chev 11-26-2009 04:37 PM

I have to agree with the "don't settle" comment. I wouldn't pay someone extra for a paint color I didn't want or wheels I didn't want and planned to get rid of.

If the longbed for the right price had the right equipment on it and was in pretty good shape I think I'd buy it, haul with it and then turn it into a shortie further down the road when time allowed. That is if no decent short bed trucks were available for a good price. It would be a lot easier and less expensive for me to shorten the frame and swap beds on a truck than swap brakes and axles to get it the way I wanted it.

I'll agree with the others that I would and have been willing to pay a premium for trucks that don't have rust too.

MrBeast 11-26-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeromio (Post 3638415)
Yeah, I read LDF's thread and the "convert LWB to SWB" falls under the big project heading for me.

I really really hate drum brakes. They don't work, they're complicated and difficult to maintain - blech. That front disc swap is not cheap - it's either j/y parts + lotsa time or it's a $1K kit and still some time. (btw, I have a LSD disc brake rear from an 87 T/A in the garage that should bolt up to a truck pretty nicely)

I'm really leaning towards the orange rusty truck. Drivable now and I can tinker with the little bit of rust on the spare cab when I feel like it. Once that's wrapped up, paint the whole thing. The rust in the bed is an extra variable. I know if I wait I'll just find something else with different but equally unpleasant trade-offs (market dynamics being what they are). Plus, like I said, I really just need a truck to haul crap with now. The smart choice is the LWB since that would actually do more work for me. There are 2 decent ones not far away - one for $2K and it has A/C. It's really too bad I can't just be practical :hh:

+1 check out LFD's low buck, you can get a LWB for way less than a SWB, and they are way more plentiful.

As well it is way easier to find a LWB that was an old mans truck that was taken care of, where as many of the SWB's have been rode pretty durn hard.

jim zag 11-26-2009 06:43 PM

Keep looking and do not settle for something you really don't want. You will find the right truck just wait!!!!

BADPURPLE70CHEVY 11-26-2009 07:55 PM

I agree with others on here just buy what you want and dont settle for a truck just because it was cheap or available.:truck:

72freak 11-26-2009 09:02 PM

There are a bunch close to you listed here in the board for sale.

red69ss 11-26-2009 09:12 PM

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1480349133.html
here's a local one here I believe belongs to a board member $2700 long bed looks like a good deal
heres another http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1467706307.html
yet another short bed http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1466067267.html

jeromio 11-28-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72freak (Post 3641166)
There are a bunch close to you listed here in the board for sale.

Oh I've been pouring over the classified here on this site. Haven't found an affordable but drivable SWB. I've been trying to narrow my search to 250mi - but really >100mi is not very practical. I'm looking at ebay, CL - any and all classifieds that I can find. If I bump my price up to 6 or 7k then it opens up many more vehicles, and that would be the smarter thing to do in the long run. It's just that I'm living on savings now as I try to build up a business and it's hard to throw extra capital at what is supposed to be a simple, working asset. (BTW, I was supposed to have finished and sold my other project by now to pay for this truck :rolleyes:. I suck)

I've been searching for 4-5 months already. It's getting to the point that I just need to get a truck - I don't want to rent one. I've come very close to "settling" for a LWB and I still might. Has anyone else actually attempted the LFD LWB->SWB conversion? Looking at that thread, I think it would easily take me 20x longer and it wouldn't turn out as nice. Sheet metal takes skills that I have yet to hone. I've got the warping and blowing holes part down pat.

It sucks to want the same stuff everyone else wants ;). I find it amazing that a 40 yr old truck can fetch 4 to 10 times what it cost new.

tonypaul 11-28-2009 02:34 PM

I just went throught the same thing your going through now. It took what seemed like forever to find the right one, and finally found the right one.... Then days later a few more even better deals popped up... Wish I would have waited.... But anyway thats the way it goes...

My advice, wait till after the first of the year.... Keep looking but give yourself till the end of Jan or Feb. After xmas many people are suffering from the holiday spending and tend to let go of some pretty good deals due to being broke and need money for bills and such.

Just give it more time.... And stay away from rust like the plauge.. The right one is out there it just takes a while for it to find you....

jeromio 12-05-2009 12:40 PM

Moved down a few years:
http://jeromio.com/trucksearch/1966Chevy.jpg

It's a great truck and has had the rust repair work done already. Paint is passable. Needs a few things: bumpers, wiper arms, gauges, heater, better mufflers. But I drove it 3hrs home w/ no problems. No speedo and my friend who drove my car home said I was going 75-80mph. Oops.

72 Super 12-05-2009 12:54 PM

Well if you got it in a price range you are happy with, from the looks of the picture you did well. Looks like nice truck and it's a shortbed which you were really wanting.

BTW welcome to board from Maryland!

Ray