The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project. Long Overdue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=377896)

butternut1972 12-25-2009 01:28 PM

Project. Long Overdue

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, So here is the quick history of my truck. My dad bought me this truck when i was 14. We started to restore it for me to drive in high school. It has pretty much been this way since 1987. A few things have changed like the wheels,etc... The plan is to go through the suspension,brakes,rearend,I have some new goodies for the motor, new wood bed. I plan on keeping the truck in primer or something like that for the upcoming summer so i will have something to play with. Then next winter tackle the paint work. I have been looking at all these projects on this site and it has defiantly motivated me to get started. I'm looking foward to getting all the expertise i can from the board. Thanks for looking and i hope you all enjoy.:metal:

brianthelion02 12-25-2009 01:57 PM

Re: Project. Long Overdue

Great story nice truck,will be watching for sure!!

butternut1972 12-26-2009 02:14 PM

thanks. I have next week off and i am hoping to tear in to it. I have to get the Honey do's out of the way first.

butternut1972 01-11-2010 02:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pics of my project. I am going to do a little freshining up this winter so i can enjoy it some this winter. My plans have changed some due to me buying another project truck. i bought my old 68 swb back and i will start on it after this. The plan is to rebuild suspension,brakes, motor mods, some paint work, finally finish the interior and just drive and enjoy it. i will be trying to stay as low buck as i can for now. The truck was painted in 87' while i was still in high school. It has a few spots here and there that will be touched up. It is a static drop 4/6 with a-arms/springs and a bell tech flip kit. the motor is a 350 w/turbo 350. I hope to start tearing into it this week and get moving, summer will be here before we know it. Hope you all enjoy:metal:

Slick67 01-11-2010 02:34 PM

Nice truck to start with, the stance looks great!

br161 01-11-2010 07:19 PM

nice lookin truck to start with for sure good luck:chevy::chevy:

butternut1972 01-15-2010 10:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have got a little done this last week.Started tearing in to truck, i had to organize the garage and install the new garage door opener first. While the truck is outside it started snowing. GOOD TIMES! All i really got done was to start pulling the front apart, label and bags nuts and bolts and drink beer with my nieghbor. Thats when all progress came to screaching halt. I hope to get the rest of the front end apart this weekend and start cleaning things up.:metal:

butternut1972 01-31-2010 09:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got a few things done today. Got the motor out, frame pressure washed. Now i can start the front end rebuild, motor upgrades, working on the firewall. This truck has not seen much use the last couple of years due to moving to arizona back to washington, fix up the house ETC.... It is ready for a little attention. As i look at everybody's builds on here it has lit a fire under me to get going on it. Hopefully it will turn out as nice as some of the trucks here.

Slick67 02-01-2010 11:47 AM

At least you are starting off with a truck that looks better than some on here. Mine fell in that category.:metal:

butternut1972 02-01-2010 09:52 PM

It was a big pile when i got it in 84' for $300 bucks. I wish you could still find projects that cheap. i just paid $3000 to get my 68' swb back and it is still a project.

70stroker 02-02-2010 01:14 AM

It was in awesome shape still. I am loving your garage.

What are your plans for it this time around? I know you said suspension brakes and such. But comon you gotta give more details than that

butternut1972 02-02-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70stroker (Post 3774525)
It was in awesome shape still. I am loving your garage.

What are your plans for it this time around? I know you said suspension brakes and such. But comon you gotta give more details than that

I will be repainting the firewall, install sway bars, re-do wood bed, change rear gear( more highway friendly). Install cst interior. The motor will be get a set of patriot aluminum heads/roller rockers, diff. cam and intake (not sure yet what to go with) I was originaly going to re-do the truck and re-paint it because the paint has been on since 1987, but i recently bought my old 68 back and i would like to start on it this summer. So i am going to just fix some problems and do some touch ups and enjoy it this summer. :ito:

Bubba4spd 02-02-2010 02:14 PM

Beautiful truck Butternut, I hope to end up with something as good as your starting with.

72BlckButy 02-02-2010 04:07 PM

Nice project, keep us posted on your progress.

Slick67 04-12-2010 04:38 PM

Yep, time to pester you about an update with some pics!!

butternut1972 04-12-2010 11:53 PM

Sorry! I am a slacker. I have been trying to get a camaro project done so i can get back on it. It has been sitting just waiting for me. I am quickly finding out i would rather work on trucks than camaro's. But the camaro project is paying for the truck project.

Slick67 04-14-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 3917006)
Sorry! I am a slacker. I have been trying to get a camaro project done so i can get back on it. It has been sitting just waiting for me. I am quickly finding out i would rather work on trucks than camaro's. But the camaro project is paying for the truck project.

They are alot easier!! Plus it belongs to you.....

butternut1972 09-16-2010 12:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It has been along time since i updated this thread. I have been working to get a camaro project done and some home projects done before our weather turns ugly. But I did roll her out of the garage to get some sun, I hopefully will get back after it in the next couple of weeks. I have been collecting parts and still have a few more to go. Looking at everyones projects is getting me excited to get it done this year.

butternut1972 10-10-2010 12:22 PM

Well I met with my buddy who will be painting the truck for me, and he is ready to go. So i hopefully will finish tearing it down in the next few weeks. Work and my sons sports have been keeping me busy and leaving little time for the truck, but at least there is a plan.

Heavy Evy 10-10-2010 01:23 PM

Very nice truck my friend and nice maro as well! I been thinking about getting a stepper and this doesn't help any at all. The wheels with that yellow paint set that truck off!

Cheers!, Evan

butternut1972 10-11-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Evy (Post 4233397)
Very nice truck my friend and nice maro as well! I been thinking about getting a stepper and this doesn't help any at all. The wheels with that yellow paint set that truck off!

Cheers!, Evan

Thanks for compliments. I am really getting excited to get going so it's done for next year. This truck has been put on the back burner so many times my wife finally said "JUST GET IT DONE". Get a stepper or a swb either way you'll have fun with it.

Heavy Evy 10-12-2010 01:35 PM

i have been eyeing a 72 swb stepside for awhile now but have stayed away in hopes that a 67 will pop up but to no avail so i might have to move in on it. i know its hard wrenching on a classic car and truck at the same time. i'm redoing the 383 in my nova but at the same time i got to get the front clip on my 71. never ending uphill battle haha. what is the drop on that truck and tire/wheel size if you don't mind me asking ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

butternut1972 10-12-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Evy (Post 4237150)
i have been eyeing a 72 swb stepside for awhile now but have stayed away in hopes that a 67 will pop up but to no avail so i might have to move in on it. i know its hard wrenching on a classic car and truck at the same time. i'm redoing the 383 in my nova but at the same time i got to get the front clip on my 71. never ending uphill battle haha. what is the drop on that truck and tire/wheel size if you don't mind me asking ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

I hear ya! I have a 68 SWB that is next after the 72 is done. It is a battle sometimes, but is also my stress relief after work. The drop is a 5/7. Dropped a-arms and springs in front, flip kit and de-arched leafs in back. The fronts are 15x7 w/235/70/15, rears are 15x10 w/ 6" back space and 275/60/15. They rub a little on the inside of the bed, but i will build a small 2" wheel tub to fix that before paint. The truck will have the exact same look it just needs a freshen up. My dad and I originally built this thing in 1987 so it's time. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Later Bro!:chevy:

Heavy Evy 10-13-2010 12:22 AM

Man those rims look big for 15's I thought they were 17's. you ever have problems with the exhaust from that thing sitting so low?

butternut1972 10-13-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Evy (Post 4238258)
Man those rims look big for 15's I thought they were 17's. you ever have problems with the exhaust from that thing sitting so low?

No I have no problems with the exhaust, other than all the rackett it makes (sign of old age). I thought about putting bigger wheels on, but i want to keep the same look, sorta old school w/ that 60's drag racing look. something that you would of seen push starting a front engine top fueler back in the day. I have always loved the greer,black and prudhome top fuel car with that yellow and polished aluminum. that's the look what i hope to achieve.