The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Door handle buttons (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382093)

Frankie Humphries 01-19-2010 11:23 PM

Door handle buttons

Does anybody know whats up with these things? it seems like every truck with this body style (thats not redone) is missing the buttons. My buttons were found inside my door! What was your ways of fixing the problem? I think that the thing inside the door that the button presses wears out in the door and bends letting the button fall in the door. but im not sure. Any answers?

Longhorn Man 01-19-2010 11:33 PM

Re: Door handle buttons

40 year old pot metal tends to break.
Overseas made pot metal breaks even quicker.

vectorit 01-20-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 3744226)
40 year old pot metal tends to break.
Overseas made pot metal breaks even quicker.

X2

Have you seen what holds the button mechanism together? It's amazing that my originals are still together and working, just the chrome bubbled up and chipped away on them.
I bought a set of repro's and not even a couple years later, and with very light usage the button mechanism broke. I bought new ones again, and they are better but I bet they won't last as long as my OEM one's.

When you decide to get a new set, you may want to put a dollop of JB weld on on the back where they are pinched to hold the spring in place.

Willys47 01-20-2010 03:02 AM

I had the same problem I had all the parts put it back together and drilled 2 small holes and droped 2 finishing nails into the holes to hold the base and the spring in place and it is working great. I did this cause my 68 doors are bent on a little bit of a angle so a newer handel bolts up but is tilted.

Sammy 01-20-2010 10:16 AM

I bought a set of repops that lasted about a month. The pot metal crimps give way. I repaired mine with a piece of the strapping for aftermarket rear radio and a couple of small sheet metal screws. Works great and can't tell unless it is removed. This is like the 2nd one I've seen always seems to be on the drivers side. Guess it gets used more often open n shut from vibration from door usage.

Classic Heartbeat 01-20-2010 01:29 PM

We have reproductions that the spring plate is pinned into place, not crimped like the old ones. They seem to be holding up well. I had installed a set on the Garden truck and it has been 4 or 5 years without a failure. WES

67ChevyRedneck 01-20-2010 01:35 PM

The factory ones on my truck never broke, but I replaced them because of pitting.

If you want to see some broken and crappy door handles... talk to folks who own 88-98 GM trucks and SUVs.

I also remember that the door handles on 80's caprices were complete crap too.

gcburdic 01-20-2010 01:40 PM

My passenger side button fell inside the door last year...only used it maybe 5 times....returned for another one....now my driver side button pops out for some reason....ugh the reprop stuff is crap too!!!

Classic Heartbeat 01-20-2010 03:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

My passenger side button fell inside the door last year...only used it maybe 5 times....returned for another one....now my driver side button pops out for some reason....ugh the reprop stuff is crap too!!!
Is this what your handle looked like? I haven't had any problems with these. WES

67ChevyRedneck 01-20-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 3745227)

That sucks Geoff!!! I didn't know that happened to ya! I can't remember where I got mine from, but they've been on my truck since 06 and are still good. I've only opened my PS door maybe 50 times in all those years (wife gets in on the DS with me) but I've opened the DS door probably thousands of times.

gcburdic 01-20-2010 07:14 PM

Wes,

I can't tell from your pictures, but I think (it's been 6 months or so) mine had the tabs bent in to hold that small plate in place....does that make sense??

Classic Heartbeat 01-20-2010 07:18 PM

Yes, some of the reproductions still do. However since we found these, this is what we sell now. WES

Willys47 01-25-2010 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is how I made mine work