The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bought another toy today (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=399463)

nlped 04-26-2010 06:40 PM

Bought another toy today

1 Attachment(s)
I bought me a 2 owner (prior to the current owner who is jacking the m&t) '75 2wd 1/2 ton Burb today. It needs some paint work, but other than the passenger front door, it doesn't have any major cancer. It has manual windows, but they all work and the doors open & shut very well. No signs of rusty floor pans anywhere. And the rear hatch opens and shuts without issue, and has a power window :). The guy bought it for the motor & trans (454 & th400), but I drove it to verify how well it drives. I'll be picking it up this weekend. Btw...The a/c blows cold :metal:, it has rear a/c, but it isn't hooked up, but i'll look into that when I get it home.

It will need a motor and trans, new weatherstripping throughout and of course paint and body work. I'm going to leave it pretty stock, besides the paint colors, it will be a darker blue w/ a silver or Lt. grey in place of the white. I'll put the 15x8" A/R Aluminum bullet holes w/ the 31x10.50r15 E load range tires off of my '76 Blazer, and use this jewel to tug my "new" 32' Travel trailer to the beach. Gonna try it with the crate 350 and th350 that is in the '76 Blazer to start.

nlped 04-26-2010 06:44 PM

Re: Bought another toy today

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the W&T combo that I'll put on it.

It won't be really "cool" looking, but it will be very functional and way better looking than it is now.

nlped 04-26-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 3942233)
I bought me a 2 owner (prior to the current owner who is jacking the m&t) '75 2wd 1/2 ton Burb today. It needs some paint work, but other than the passenger front door, it doesn't have any major cancer. It has manual windows, but they all work and the doors open & shut very well. No signs of rusty floor pans anywhere. And the rear hatch opens and shuts without issue, and has a power window :). The guy bought it for the motor & trans (454 & th400), but I drove it to verify how well it drives. I'll be picking it up this weekend. Btw...The a/c blows cold :metal:, it has rear a/c, but it isn't hooked up, but i'll look into that when I get it home.

It will need a motor and trans, new weatherstripping throughout and of course paint and body work. I'm going to leave it pretty stock, besides the paint colors, it will be a darker blue w/ a silver or Lt. grey in place of the white. I'll put the 15x8" A/R Aluminum bullet holes w/ the 31x10.50r15 E load range tires off of my '76 Blazer, and use this jewel to tug my "new" 32' Travel trailer to the beach. Gonna try it with the crate 350 and th350 that is in the '76 Blazer to start.

It will loose the steps too!

GMC91 04-26-2010 06:46 PM

Man that looks real nice, I saw your ad for the blazer on craigs not to long ago. Was just searching while I was in school, did you decide not to sell it?

nlped 04-27-2010 09:40 AM

Yeah, I decided to keep it. I've collected a bunch of parts for it, but I need something to tow with, so this will get the nod.

justpball 04-27-2010 09:46 AM

Nice bro! sounds like a good plan!

GmtGmt 04-27-2010 09:52 AM

if your loosing the ground effects hit me up im very interested in them

tvblazer78 04-27-2010 09:55 AM

Thats cool! I just about got one last year, but Like I need something more..:lol:

nlped 04-27-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GmtGmt (Post 3943396)
if your loosing the ground effects hit me up im very interested in them

I'm going to be removing them, but I think it would be pretty tough to get them over to you :lol:

nlped 04-27-2010 10:22 AM

Oh, I don't "need" this one, but my rational for it is that I have this 32' Travel Trailer and I think a clean, functional ole square would be a cool hauler. I really wish it had been a 3/4 Ton, but it has like 138 leafs in the rear so I think it will be able to handle it without issue :lol:

GmtGmt 04-27-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 3943451)
I'm going to be removing them, but I think it would be pretty tough to get them over to you :lol:

get me some pics and mesure how length on them i might have a solution

nlped 04-27-2010 11:05 AM

I won't get it home until this weekend, but I will surely let you know.

nlped 04-29-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justpball (Post 3943385)
Nice bro! sounds like a good plan!

Every time I look at your build I find myself rethinking this project. I would really love to slam it, slick it up, and drive the snot out of it. It would make a great family truckster :lol:

nlped 05-08-2010 11:09 AM

Well the '75 Burb fell through. They had problems getting the motor out and managed to cut up the harness, break the windshield, and bend the crap out of the DS A pillar.

But, I did end up buying a kinda running driving '88 Burb yesterday for next to NOTHING. I actually did drive it home, but also found out that the transmission is on its very last legs, the motor smokes like a tar kettle, and it may have a few electrical gremlins. But I was planning on putting a 6.0L and a 4L80E into the '75, so this one should be an even better candidate.

I'll post up some pics once I get the 22" wire wheels off it and the stickers that are all over it off :barf:

But it already has a flip kit w/ a notch and one drop spindle on the left front :lol:, but I have some parts I can throw at it to make it much better ;)

USSkoval 05-08-2010 11:44 AM

Lol, one drop spindle? Where's the other one?

nlped 05-09-2010 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by USSkoval (Post 3964497)
Lol, one drop spindle? Where's the other one?

God only knows. But it certainly does have a drop spindle on the left front and a stock one on the right front. His remedy for the difference in height? Spring spacers in the left front spring and cut a couple of coils on the right front...Cool.

It took me 5 hours to get the 22" Knock off wires off the truck. When the PO put the wheels on, he didn't put any anti-seize on the threads, so they were corroded and DID NOT want to come off. I got 3 of them off in the typical fashion, but the right front took some thought. I ended up cutting the knock off "spinner", which looks like a 4" 10 sided nut, with the plasma cutter and pulling the rotor off the truck with the wheel. What a PITA, but they are off.

I also went ahead and pulled the rearend out from under it, so I can fit the McGaughy rear big brake kit and the Auburn Diff and new gears/bearings because this rearend was certainly questionable after seeing the front suspension. I'm glad I did, because the spider gears in the diff. were razor sharp :metal:.

The flip kit was backwards, as in the bracket hole was facing rearward rather than forward, but the notch is in the right place. It also has a really cool shock relocation spring pad addition rather than bolting to the stock axle shock mount. That is probably my favorite part so far. I'm thinking that since I have already started fabbing up the c-notch and flip bracket and u-bolt/spring pad, I will add this feature to mine ;).

I have most of the parts to lower the front end, but I am going to go ahead and replace all of the steering pieces/parts (i.e. Ball Joints, tierod ends, etc.) so I know there safe.

Now for a pic :lol:

nlped 05-09-2010 10:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here it is this morning. Poor thing, but I have great plans for it.

I'm thinkin' 6.0L/4L80e swap, raised up in the rear just a couple of inches, lowering the front properly ;), and a Round Eye front end. This way I get the Round Eye 'Burb that I really want with the modern drivetrain and the interior advantages of the '88.

I added the pic of the guages just to say I paid less for the whole truck then I would have paid for the 6 guages :metal:

bluex 05-10-2010 11:55 PM

Nice score. Looks like you could recoup your purchase price by selling the rims too...

justpball 05-11-2010 09:41 AM

crazy what some people will do to lower one...looks sad sitting there...LOL. Thats why I was so happy to find mine in stock trim for 500.00

68Timber 05-11-2010 03:02 PM

It looks soooo much better sitting on the ground, shoes off, busted grill out. Like it's just waiting for someone to pick it up and dust it off.

There's hope for that one now.

Jonboy 05-13-2010 02:24 PM

Do you still have access to the rest of the '75? If so, snatch the 12 bolt rear out, too. It is a near direct bolt in to the '88.

nlped 05-13-2010 08:06 PM

It's already had a 12 bolt under it. It is stamped GM84, so I assume it came out of an '84 model. I have it out from under it to install a new 3.42 ring & pinion, Auburn posi, & the McGaughy 13" rear big brake kit. Axles are at the machine shop getting the axle flange and hub turned down to fit the C5 rotor ;).

justpball 05-14-2010 08:54 AM

:metal:

ECU PIRATE 05-17-2010 12:11 PM

Damn Ed..............................You are finding all of the good toys in BAMA!!!!!!!!! Maybe I need to make a road trip....................

nlped 05-17-2010 12:14 PM

^^^Come on!!! You have an open invitation :metal: