The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Project Lesson Plan (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=413926)

RootBeer 6117 07-27-2010 10:29 PM

Project: Lesson Plan

5 Attachment(s)
Howdy Folks
It’s good to finally get to post on the site ,I have been reading as a guest for 6 months or so. I decided it was time to join in the fun, I am very happy to find this site it as already saved me a lot of money and I have barely turned a wrench on the truck. This one was built in October 1949 in St Louis production number 27900, All of which I was able to figure out by reading this forum.
I have been turning wrenches since Aug 1980, 15 yrs for a local company, 10 yrs owning and operating my own shop in a business partnership, the last 6 years. I have been teaching Automotive Technology for a local career center. During those years I have owned and modified many trucks and a couple cars. 20 years ago my dad had three 47-55 Chevy trucks at a friend’s farm 20 miles from here, he decided to sell or junk them. I talked his friend into holding on to 2 of them for me, the early 55 went to my brother, Mine sat in a barn the last 10 years collecting mice, enough to apply for their own zip code. In April I loaded it on a trailer and hauled it to school where it will become my lesson plans for next few year, I have a S10 frame already and thought I might have to spend big bucks for body mount kit, Till I found you guys, Sorry after market guys I don't make a lot teaching but I love to adapt and overcome. I plan to have the students do as much as possible on it, I will be able to do a lot in house since we have Auto body welding and woodworking and those teachers like to have their cars worked on with free child labor ,We do a lot of back scratching, This jobs has it perks. I have talked enough but I will have a lot of question in the future and hope to keep you updated on the progress

RootBeer 6117 07-27-2010 10:32 PM

Re: Project Lesson Plan

I meant to mention it has its own custom paint job, it looks like some one was painting a house and spilled a gallon on paint on the left rear fender then smeared it all down the side.

Kabwe 07-28-2010 12:22 AM

Looks to be a decent little project. good luck with her.

drummin89 07-29-2010 08:10 PM

cool, keep up posted. And we all love pictures so keep them coming.

pgf545 07-30-2010 05:45 PM

Good luck and ask questions if you have them. These guys have been really helpful all through out my build.

Bernie

RootBeer 6117 08-02-2010 09:16 PM

Thanks Guys, I do have three questions one might be better to ask on a different forum but... First off I REALLY want to put a 5.3 in this truck I have read a lot on here about doing it,I have a 95 5.7 TBI but I really want the 5.3, My question on that is,I have read people have programed their PCM I am wondering what software program they used, I am looking at getting some type of program for the school like Autoenginuity, I was wondering if any body had any good ,bad or uglys on software/laptop programs
Second I have read a lot about mounting the cab on an S-10 Frame I am wondering about the rear cab mount how have you modified it to make the s-10 mount work ,Just drilled a hole?or reinforced it like the S10? Or?
Third when I take this truck apart is there any market for the original parts? I was amazed how complete this truck is, my dad wanted to restore it, sorry dad that aint happin.
Thanks again Joe

drummin89 08-02-2010 09:28 PM

There is always a market for the original parts. On here and stovebolt.com (more on the stovebolt site then here) there are people restoring their trucks and prefer original parts over the reproduction stuff.

av8tr33337 08-03-2010 12:45 AM

Awsome truck. I'm subscribed. There are several build threads here with diagrams or pictures of the body mounts.

Here is one link.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269156

This link has pics of brackets made from square tubing
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358973

This one has a few pics that show the brackets he used
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=314628&page=4

Seems like the average hight of the cab off the frame is about 3.5 inches but that all depends on how you want it to set, whether you mind puting a hump in the floor. whether you are going to use drop spindles, springs, blocks etc.

RootBeer 6117 08-07-2010 07:29 PM

Thanks Bartman
I have read these in the past, I got real happy when I found all the dimensions and drawings on here, I knew then it was going to be possible for me to at least get a rolling chassis. Only one week till school starts,:whine AAAA were did summer go. Three more weeks till de construction at least I have that to look forward to.

RootBeer 6117 09-03-2010 07:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The class of 49 has begun

T Hilde 09-03-2010 07:49 PM

Sharp looking group. I wish auto shop would have been that cool for me. Only remember smoking in the garage between classes.

RootBeer 6117 09-03-2010 07:52 PM

Could any one help me with diagrams/pictures of v8-s10 motor mounts.I have searched but cant seem to find the threads.I don't want to spend a 100 buck if I don't have too.

RootBeer 6117 10-19-2010 08:17 PM

Wondering if you guys could give me some info on cutting the inner fenders to fit the S10 frame.I searched the archives but couldn't seem to come up with good photos or info on cutting them so they didn't look like crap. Photos or looks would be great.
Thanks Joe

BlueJeep 10-19-2010 10:27 PM

I don't have any pictures, but my inner fenders were a long process. Cut a little with the plasma cutter, install, mark for the next trim, take back off, etc.

OrrieG 10-19-2010 11:23 PM

Start with a cardboard template and use that for trial cuts. Cut too much an you can tape on another piece and try again. I had to modify my stock inner fenders to work with my ps lines and steering column. Got the template close, transfered to metal and snuck up on it like blue jeep says. I used a die grinder and small cut off wheel. MartinSR has a great article on templates and other ways to tranfer patterns and make fabrication models. Foam core board is another good product comes in 3/16 and 1/4 thickness to simulate metal thickness. Steal your wifes glue gun to hold it together.

bensimmons_05 10-20-2010 03:19 PM

This looks like this is going to be a fun build!! keep us posted!

Woodbutcher 10-20-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer 6117 (Post 4172460)
Could any one help me with diagrams/pictures of v8-s10 motor mounts.I have searched but cant seem to find the threads.I don't want to spend a 100 buck if I don't have too.

Take a look at "Jags that Run" http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...entMounts.html - my brother-in-law got a set of plans for the motor mounts from them a few years ago and built his own - they worked pretty good as I recall.

RootBeer 6117 10-20-2010 08:59 PM

Thanks Guys I am just thinking ahead of my self on the inner fenders, its aways off.
Wood I bit the bullet and bought them of eBay.They were jags that run $50 total not bad.
I have made some progress and will have pictures as soon as I can remember to bring the camera home. The engine/trans is on the frame and turn key, the wires are still a big plate of spaghetti but we have whittled them down. we got the front clip off yesterday and started working on the cab today.
Has any one ever successfully got the mouse pee smell out of an old truck I have some baking soda boxes I'm thinking I might need a 55 gallon drum of it.

Joe What year is that truck? Which part you talking about?

OrrieG 10-20-2010 11:53 PM

RE: Mouse pee. Go to a pet store and get some of the stuff that has the enzymes that eat it up, not the stuff that masks the odor. I think that the same stuff used for cat and dog urine will work. Baking soda will absorb the odor released into the air but the enzymes eat the bacteria that are making the odor (bacteria farts).

v8blaze 10-21-2010 01:07 AM

here ya go for motor mounts. Im sure you could easily make these. Cool looking project, and even cooler who is going to be working on it. All our shop classes were closed by the time i made it to highschool
http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8510

RootBeer 6117 10-22-2010 11:25 AM

Thanks V8 I wish I had seen this a month ago this is exactly what I was looking for, I ended up buying them.
You bring up a hot topic in our Career center, how long are we going to be here? We are losing one of our best sending schools next year(We have 10 schools sending students).Our number are down because the state upped the graduation requirements for seniors, a lot of the kids we normally get aren't able to take electives. They are talking about another increase. The powers that be think every one should be working towards a 4 year college degree just like they did. I see it as lets make every kid fit the square hole even if they are a round peg. I would have quit school if I didn't have shop classes I hated core classes they meant nothing to me. Put together a paragraph using all this stuff. How bout I put together an engine using nuts and bolts? Some kids are academic some are practical.I think if programs like mine are shut down drop out rates will go way up. Little do the powers that be understand how much math is involved in automotive, we're just a bunch of grease monkeys. Till they need their car fixed.
I could go on I'll step down off the soap box.
Joe

Woodbutcher 10-24-2010 03:16 AM

I hear you, Rootie. I teach Industrial Education at a high school in BC. We just moved into a new 900 seat school, but have about 1000 kids in it. Our grad requirements went up a few years ago and we saw a drop in enrollment in electives just as you said. They decided not to put an automotive shop into the new building, partially because it is so hard up here to find someone to teach it. We have an outstanding metalwork facility and a dynamic program. We are the main feeder school to the local trade school.

So many of the kids I see in the Jr High classes just don't return for grades 11 and 12 because of the focus on sciences and grad requirements, so we feel that those kids really miss out. A little automotive knowledge or woodworking skill can go a long way. Every once in a while a wise academic kid that sees the value in what we offer and thats great. But mostly the kids we get generally don't have sucess in the regular classroom. There are still plenty of great kids that pass through our doors. Working with kids and seeing the "light come on" as they begin to get something or they discover a new career posibility is wherethe job satisfaction comes from. I just wonder how we are to meet the skilled trades shortages on the horizon with so many baby-boomers retiring.

1952ssr 10-28-2010 04:17 PM

Wanted to pass along some help for your project, lt1swap.com has a ton of info that could be useful for your class and the truck.

RootBeer 6117 10-28-2010 06:24 PM

Thanks 1952ssr, I have seen the web site,He is 3 hours south of me only 20 miles from were my parents are from. Your pictures have been a big help to me I have referenced them more than once.I meant to take a picture of the fan set up my engine had to see if it gave you any ideas but I keep forgetting.

RootBeer 6117 10-28-2010 06:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We have made good progress on the 49.It seems like every time I set down to post pictures the phone rings or something happens. The last month has kicked my butt at work and at home. I've had a good time watching them try to figure out how stuff out it's fun seeing the light bulb come on.
In the photos the LT1 is setting on the s10 frame and at this point is turn key, its a big ol plate of spaghetti and I like spaghetti it fires at the turn of the key. We then started dissecting the truck and got the cab off the frame and have it setting on the s10 frame. We had a 2008 jeep in the shop doing a brake job so we had to see how the wheels looked on the 49 then today a student brought 4 wheels in to mount and balance for his s 10 so we had to see how they looked. Its been fun it's help take my mind off some home stuff that aint been so fun.
Joe