The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   91 suburban cruise control elimination (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=415101)

jjmorrse 08-05-2010 09:45 AM

91 suburban cruise control elimination

I have a 1991 suburban, 1500, 350, r700 trans. I like to simplify my vehicles, chalk it up to old hotrodding days. I have eliminated the parts of the cruise control from the engine bay, but still have wiring and a vacuum line under the dash. I am not really familiar with the tbi systems, so I am concerned about eliminating something that gives info to the ecu. The vacuum line to the cruise comes in with the cruise wiring and attaches above the accelerator pedal what I will call a switch/controller. What wiring and components can I remove without causing problems with other sysyems? I am afraid that if I remove too many components/wires, the suburban will not know its speed. Thanks

scsindust 08-07-2010 10:17 PM

Re: 91 suburban cruise control elimination

I'm actually curious to see what others say. I have an 89 that I took everything out for the CC. The only difference is, is that my truck came with the 400 trans, and I swapped it out for an older 700R4, so there is no electronics for the trans except the 12v for the TCC. If I'm not mistaken, the 91 has an electronic trans? I would be curious too to see if it affects anything.

jjmorrse 08-09-2010 10:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. So far, disconnecting and eliminating the parts in the engine compartment has caused no ill effects. Ill keep you posted when I go further. Hopefully someone can share their experiences.

scsindust 08-09-2010 10:18 AM

I would say that if nothing else has changed in the way it drives, you should be ok. I have to think that the cc relies on the trucks sensors, and not the other way around.

BLE 'BURBAN 08-10-2010 02:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The wiring harness/vacuum line run under the dash to 7 places.
1. Ground lead gang on the left sidewall behind the dash.
2. Power lead to the fuse block.
3.connector to the turnsignal stalk along the column under the dash.
4. one plug to your v.s.s. module Located on the backside of the dash under the stereo location.
The last 3 connections are to the cruise control module and both the primary & secondary brake light/vacuum switch shown as #'s 11,16 & 18 in the illustration below.
Please note that if you remove the brake light/vacuum switch, then you will need to replace your primary brake light switch with one designed for a vehicle without cruise control since your brake light wiring plugs into both switch's with cruise and only one with both connectors in it without cruise.

#11= cruise control module
#16= secondary brake light/vacuum disengage switch
#17= Vacuum disengage switch for older models of trucks (84-86)
#18= Primary brake light switch.

jjmorrse 08-23-2010 06:35 PM

Thanks for the image. I will try to send some of this TX heat your way. Heat index 105 today.