The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Been in search of inexpensive rear disc conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=418880)

BHyatt 08-29-2010 04:06 PM

Been in search of inexpensive rear disc conversion

I have been searching around for the least expensive conversion from rear drum brakes to rear disc brakes that I can find. I found some relatively inexpensive brackets to mount front rotors on the rear from Ebay. I then found them cheaper on Speedway Motors.com. The brackets from Speedway may have sealed the deal for me though when I noticed a bracket for 78-up Metric Calipers. This sent me back to the Junkyard where I found a rear wheel drive 1979 Cadillac Seville with calipers which include built in emergency brakes.

When I went back and removed the calipers I noticed that the factory brackets for these calipers along with the backing plate bolt onto the end of the rear differential. I now believe I will go back and remove the factory bracket and affix it to my rear-end rather than purchase an aftermarket bracket. I need to measure the rotor too see if it can be found with the proper bolt-pattern or just use the ones from the Cadillac and have them re-drilled.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

SactoJim 08-29-2010 06:49 PM

Re: Been in search of inexpensive rear disc conversion

I bought the Speedway kit with those brackets, hat, rotors, and the Caddy calipers. 6,000 miles and working great.

N2TRUX 08-29-2010 06:54 PM

How well does the E-brake work? I have heard that its not that great. I also understand that you have to set the E-brake to adjust the calipers. Any input?

BHyatt 08-29-2010 06:56 PM

I have been trying to figure out how the e-brake works myself. I have noticed that a lot of the kits that are available appear to have similar/same calipers. It is sure to work better than having no e-brake at all. I figure for $24 I can figure it out.

SactoJim 08-29-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4163385)
How well does the E-brake work? I have heard that its not that great. I also understand that you have to set the E-brake to adjust the calipers. Any input?

You know how most projects are never 100% complete??? Not hooked up yet and I've heard the same about setting the E-brake to adjust for pad wear.....no problems yet. The stock cables are a little too short but I see that CPP sells extenders that may work.

BHyatt 08-30-2010 08:32 AM

I pulled the e-brake cable from the Seville when I acquired the calipers.

Captainfab 09-01-2010 01:01 AM

From what I've read/heard, with those style of e-brake calipers, the e-brake need to be used regularily for them to maintain proper operation.

BHyatt 09-01-2010 10:03 PM

Has anyone else used these calipers?

BHyatt 09-02-2010 08:10 PM

Had a friend recently have a mechanic replace rotors on the rear of his Jeep Liberty that has drum style e-brake inside the rotor. His Pads just fell out when they pulled the rotor. The mechanic said the e-brake needs to be engaged every couple of months to insure longevity of the entire system.

Darren MagooGardner 11-12-2012 11:21 PM

my kit has no ebrake, 78 monte carlo calipers and I think the rotors came off a 84 caprice...no problems in 10 years..havent missed the e-brake...like the stopping power..