The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   To rhino line or not (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=426985)

r1lorenzini 10-20-2010 11:06 AM

To rhino line or not

So as some of you know I am going to stat finishing my 71 super swb and the truck is a red/white 2 tone. THe boed got some overspray but not a full coat of red because of my thought about lining it. My questions is based once again on resale. Would anyone NOT buy the truck since it has been rhino lined? I mean to say does this stuff on a truck kill it for some people. Myself I just like a painted bed as my truck never sees any serious hauling. Thanks in advance

ChevLoRay 10-20-2010 11:09 AM

Re: To rhino line or not

If having the bed Rhino-lined, Line-X'd or done up with Vortex is something that will kill a deal, then my kids are going to hate me when I'm gone and they decide to sell my truck.

Why would it be a deal breaker?

cdowns 10-20-2010 11:13 AM

for a working daily driver i dont think theres anything wrong // but for a better quality high end truck i think it's a real pitfall as far as resale is concerned

Rodk65 10-20-2010 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For resale purposes I would not apply a Rhino liner. Rhino liner is a personal preference that some people think is just a waste of money. This is why car dealerships offer it as an option instead of just applying it. I have it applied in my truck, but I use my truck to haul things. After it is applied it is very difficult to remove and it may scare potential buyers away. You want your truck to be appealing to all people. You want the show car people that wouldn't think of hauling anything and also the daily driver people.

Attachment 646122

stich626 10-20-2010 11:39 AM

it's a truck..
do you drive by a yard sale and pick up some thing, or a junk yard run..
if you do the paint will look aged real quick..
the liner is good, come in colors now.. and lets you use the bed..
these trucks are not double walled, so maybe just the floor and wheelwells..
and paint the inner walls this gives you a bed to use if at a car show and find a part. and still look good..
rubber mats work also but collect dirt under it and sandpaper ur paint..

special-K 10-20-2010 12:48 PM

For resale,I say no spray-in liner.I also say don't work it.If you do a spray-in,use a hot applied brand.That lumpy crud has turned me away from many a truck.Line-X was the first but now there are others.

piecesparts 10-20-2010 12:54 PM

Everyone has their own feelings. I like the Rhino or Line-X linings in the trucks that I use. It is a great thing for longevity on a truck that is used for hauling anything. However if you are going for show, then a newly painted and smooth bed is a great thiing on the show circuit. My 67 truck will have a finely polished wood floor, but I am building it to run as a Street rod.

barryvanhook 10-20-2010 01:45 PM

My last 4 trucks have received the BedRug treatment, including my present '69 ... it seems to be the answer to most bed issues ... of course I don't have a nice wood floor in my truck that I want to display.

Incidentally, the BedRug people (Wise Industries) don't sell them for our trucks any longer. The patterns now belong to, and the product available from, Auto Custom Carpets. Just an FYI.

Barry

ges55 10-20-2010 03:52 PM

I have Rhino lining in my 1/2 ton & the only thing I don't like about it is after a year or so you can't sit on it without getting black ( or whatever color) stuff all over your pants.

VA72C10 10-20-2010 04:12 PM

For resale I would say paint it. Then the next owner could always apply the liner of their choice if they wanted...but it's much harder to take the liner off...

....and many people will think you're hiding something with liner....even when you show them the underside of the bed they still feel like something is being hidden...

gearys 5600 10-20-2010 04:48 PM

I like a painted bed floor.. When I see a lined bed, I automatically think they are hiding a rough bed. Just my opinion.

ctrow 10-20-2010 05:18 PM

I'm fine with it. I don't plan on hauling gravel but don't want to be scared to put a piece of luggage back there either and scratch it. I'm not a fan of wood beds for the same reason.

Plus my build pictures and receipts show I put in a new bed floor. Granted I don't ever plan to sell mine so it will come handy when they bury me in it. :)

rbagley 10-20-2010 05:41 PM

I think anything that can't be changed is a deal breaker for some people. As far as I know it's pretty dang hard to get that stuff off. Everyone has their preference, but if you spray it you will shrink your buyer pool.

cam.man67 10-20-2010 05:58 PM

Personally, I think it depends on what you want the truck to be. If you want to hang on to it and use as a truck is supposed to be used, I say it's a good idea. But if you're looking to turn it over in a year or two, you probably won't want spray-in. I've got Linex in my truck, love it. My dad's used Rhinoliner, it's a great product, too. But, keep in mind that I do haul stuff in my truck on a regular basis. Nor am I planning on selling any time in the near future.

r1lorenzini 10-20-2010 06:29 PM

yeah Im defenitely getting it painted. just hope it can be matched now that the outside was already painted.

beautimus 10-20-2010 06:32 PM

to me,bedliner can be a plus or a minus. a black sandpaper texture liner is a big turn off, if i wanted my hands sanded every time i touched the truck, i would use a belt sander and get it over with. the ruberized stuff gets scarred up and looks like crap after a while, too. But a hard plastisized coating that is tinted to match the rest of the truck is a definite plus! But,the drawback is that type of liner tends to let stuff slide around, so you have to tie the larger packages down. truck color --good black sand , or rubber ---BAD .
again thats just my opinion, and its what i am doing on my truck.
i did do the red ultimate liner (rubberized) on the floor and underneath the bottom of my cab and will do the bottom of my bed the same way. but inside the bed, i am looking into finding the texturized plastic in the matching color of my truck. (red and white 2 tone, like yours.) i plan to keep my truck untill i die, and hopefully will use it as a truck.
good luck on however you decide to go. tony

r1lorenzini 10-20-2010 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
how bout this. from the line-x site

beautimus 10-20-2010 07:55 PM

thats great!!!! thanks !!!!

greenbd71 10-20-2010 07:56 PM

If the bed is already painted just wait until it gets to the point you want to line-x it. If it is newly painted they will have to rough it up anyway so the liner will take to it. I did not have any dents in my bed so I did not line x mine. If you are looking for top dollar on the truck when or if you resale it.....I would not put a bed coating due to it looks like your hiding rust or damage. You could get a nice rubber mat when you use it to move something and take it out when showing it off. Mine is a weekend truck to show off and not a everyday ride so keep that in mind.

special-K 10-21-2010 09:21 AM

There's always laying something soft,like a rug,when hauling something in a painted bed.I've hauled some funky and big parts on cardboard and even plywood on top of cardboard or a rug when hauling rears,engines,etc.Don't get me wrong,I have also used color-matched Line-X and probably will in my K2500 because it will be a good lookin' work horse.My '67 will be painted & wood,so I'll just carefully prepare the bed according to what I haul.Because that will be my driver/street rod that I don't want wear from use top show at all,if at all possible.
I responded to the word "resale".And to that I say no way to liner if the truck is a clean and fresh resto.

Zoomin 10-22-2010 07:04 PM

I wrestled with this same issue. It's easier for a buyer to add it obviously, but a buyer that doesn't want it will keep looking. When I'm buying, I want a truck without do I can assess what the condition is, and then add it if I want it. And some of these places run it up over the top and down - I don't care for that. So even if you did it, someone else may want it done a different way.
Posted via Mobile Device

r1lorenzini 10-22-2010 07:18 PM

yeah its official im just gonna try and sell the truck as is. that way options are left up tot he buyer. thanks guys

tim21391 10-22-2010 09:15 PM

well for me on my 72 i fixed all the typical rust on my truck.. and i plan on using the truck as a truck so im not painting the inside of the bed because im getting a line-x liner because rhino seems to blotchy in my opinion. but ya i like the liner

otsenre 10-22-2010 10:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim21391 (Post 4254951)
well for me on my 72 i fixed all the typical rust on my truck.. and i plan on using the truck as a truck so im not painting the inside of the bed because im getting a line-x liner because rhino seems to blotchy in my opinion. but ya i like the liner

x2, I also plan on lining my bed. I know what I have and if I resale i can show pics, I just like the liner.