The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Has Anyone used xenon HID headlights in your C-10? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=428063)

69Beauty 10-26-2010 11:16 PM

Has Anyone used xenon HID headlights in your C-10?

I was looking at some xenon HID headlights from classicindustries.com here is a link. https://www.classicindustries.com/tr...rts/1149x.html If you have tried these or know anyone who has please tell me how you like them. if you have any other preferences i would like to see them. these are going into my 1969 c-10.

1969stepside 10-28-2010 12:44 AM

Re: Has Anyone used xenon HID headlights in your C-10?

just use a silver star ultra that is still a sealed beam that way the lenses wont yellow or cloud up over time

1969stepside 10-28-2010 12:45 AM

and u still get the same look

shiner2001 10-28-2010 02:44 AM

FWIW, that's not an HID set up.

72shortstep 10-28-2010 07:00 AM

Yep, looks like another blinder special. Those are halogen housings, they will look bad (lots of glare) and piss people off.

keanevann 10-28-2010 08:49 PM

I have a high/low hid setup in mine with h4 halogen housings.... I havent had anyone complain yet.... They look awesome so even if someone did I still wouldn't change them... I just turned them on against the garage door and adjusted them so I wouldn't be blinding people...:chevy:

raycow 10-28-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keanevann (Post 4265941)
I have a high/low hid setup in mine with h4 halogen housings

You found a HID setup that fits normal H4 housings? Did you have to modify them? Please tell more, and include a link if possible.

Thank you.

STOCKISH 10-28-2010 10:12 PM

It's my understanding you can use the new Jeep JK headlights and pigtails and they are VERY bright with no glare etc...

raycow 10-28-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne (Post 4266127)
It's my understanding you can use the new Jeep JK headlights and pigtails and they are VERY bright with no glare etc...

Neat! Thank you.

Ray

rcgiii 10-28-2010 10:47 PM

i picked up a set at the goodguys show near my town. autoloc had the best price there and i cant complain about the product. only required slight modifications to get the headlight case to sit all the way in.

this is the headlight case
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...inc=headlights

these are the bulbs i got also. wiring was a piece of cake. literally plug and play and the bulbs are very bright.
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...temid=IONBSH18

Longhorn Man 10-28-2010 11:22 PM

sounds like a lot of ppl don't know what an HID headlamp is

STOCKISH 10-28-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Beauty (Post 4262549)
. if you have any other preferences i would like to see them. these are going into my 1969 c-10.

I know what a HID headlight is....He also asked for OTHER ideas.Just helping a brother out!;)

Bad70sbchevy 10-29-2010 12:06 AM

I always thought HID is a light that contains xenon, is this correct or is there more to it? I'm running the LMC Euro light conversion kit with the Xenon bulbs and love it. They are way brighter than the originals and have a blue tint to them. Also it doesnt piss people off:lol:

Jacfourteen 10-29-2010 12:18 AM

Typical halogen and xenon lights use a metal wire (filiment) to conduct electricity, when it gets hot due to resistance it creates light. The gas (halogen or xenon) helps to intensify the light. A HID (high intensity discharge) lamp has two electrodes that don't actually touch, High voltage (why you need a transformer) is fed into the electrodes causing an arc to jump across the gap just like a spark plug or arc welder. The heat of the arc heats the gas in the bulb (and some metal salts) and turns tjem into plasma with greatly intensifies the light. Hope this helps.

VA72C10 10-29-2010 12:38 AM

The easy way to know if you're looking at an HID setup is if it has just a bulb or a bulb with a separate ballast (a little black box the size of a ring box approx. But not all ballasts are created equal.....

tk-mpl 12-20-2010 04:14 AM

If a guy was to get the lenses from LMC what bulb kit for hids would fit these lenses.

Jacfourteen 12-20-2010 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk-mpl (Post 4360754)
If a guy was to get the lenses from LMC what bulb kit for hids would fit these lenses.

The chevy ones look to be H4 style, so any hid kit that says h4 should work.
The GMC looks to be 9004, 9005, 9006, or 9007 (something in that style, they all look very similar).

69Beauty 12-20-2010 09:48 AM

I think you would be better off just buying h4 bulbs like I'm doing. Much cheaper and almost as bright. Getting mine from Hella
Posted via Mobile Device

69c10209 12-20-2010 01:57 PM

I had a 68 that I put in myself I bought the non seal beam housing and the hid kit from eBay and I spent around 80-100 bucks still works (I see the guy I sold it too driving with them on)
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Tkmadone 12-20-2010 02:44 PM

If you want true HID that will fit you could use these:

http://www.trueprojectorheadlights.c...eadlights.html

Here is why you don't want to use the H4 conversion kit:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

skorpioskorpio 12-20-2010 03:31 PM

I'm not sure how you would use a true HID headlight system on a vehicle with dual headlights. No vehicle with HID headlights from the factory has HID highbeams so only GMCs are candidates for HID not Chevys, unless you are somehow splitting the pod in 2. HID requires vaporization of a metal, either mercury or sodium and is not instant on and requires a restarter circuit to turn them back on if they get turned off and you want to restart them before they have completely cooled off. Not very practical for high beams, high beams on HID equipped vehicles are generally still halogen.

Anyway, HID lighting in the US is IMHO worse than halogen given that unlike europe we do not have regulations for beam cutoff profiles (well we do but they're retarded) and automatic leveling.

I am not aware of any true aftermarket HID systems for 5 3/4" quad systems and certainly no 7" dual systems. Are you looking for something actually useable or just something for the bling factor?

If you are looking for improved usable light look at Hella or Cibia E-Code conversions, they are amazing, sharp horizonal cut-off with a rise on the right side for street signs, it's like a whole new world at night. Speed limit and warning signs almost seem to explode with light at night, especially in dark rural areas. The down side, American headlights blast light all over the place and because of this we often hang our street name signs over the intersection, E-Code lights (Euro-Code) only project light below oncoming drivers eyes and so overhead street name signs are illegible at night so if you go that route, also get a good GPS so you know where to turn.

E-Code lights put the light on the road and not on the dust and particles in front of your line of sight, your eyes are not adjusted the light bouncing back at you and because of that the beam seems to go on forever. You can use the bluish tinted capsules in these lights but if your truck is bouncy the sharp horizonal cutoff might make you sea sick.

The light color that the human eye has the hardest time adjusting to and from is towards the blue end of the spectrum. Object definition when your eyes are trying to refocus in the presence of the bluer light of HID, this in combination with the DOT scatter pattern makes them a worse choice for usable nighttime lighting. Try and read a blue neon sign with a quick glance at night sometime, it's just a blue blur.

Already Gone 12-20-2010 06:04 PM

ttt

tk-mpl 12-20-2010 07:20 PM

I put a HID kit in my 2008 Malibu that was equipped with H11 halogens. The difference in light was wicked... I had alot of trouble seeing at night with just my low beams on. It seemed like all I had was a couple of candles in the front of my car.. Now the front just glows.... I also put them in cause I got the HID kit for less the I could get replacement H11 bulbs for. Their cheap, but they work good..

Check out www.ddmtuning.com I just put the raptor kit in...

Now I would like to put them in my 68..

68jewel 12-20-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiner2001 (Post 4264723)
FWIW, that's not an HID set up.

X2.... and most definately not for $40.

dznucks 12-20-2010 07:30 PM

I know this may be coming out of left field......but I think it would be cool if Hella would offer this type of light in 7" round bulb.

I would like to have the HID lights as well, but as stated above that may be wishfull thinking, just like Hella offering a 7" black magic bulb.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...lack_Magic.jsp