The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   'Out of Sight' Truck Tool Boxes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=429183)

SCOTI 11-03-2010 05:54 PM

'Out of Sight' Truck Tool Boxes

I'm looking for a readily available, fairly priced, under the bed-rail type of tool box for my dually. I don't want anything that is above the rail what-so-ever. I would prefer something that IS NOT aluminum tread plate construction as I've seen way too many of these w/broken latches from break-ins.

Suggestions??

vectorit 11-03-2010 08:00 PM

Re: 'Out of Sight' Truck Tool Boxes

Check this site, seems they have a pretty large selection.

http://www.toolboxes4less.com/

cdowns 11-03-2010 08:29 PM

my local lowes has some really nice toolboxes that could b used like that//they arent in the tool section they're in a seperate section near the ladders near the hardware section//at least in my store they r

Benelli 11-04-2010 01:07 AM

Check your local ag or contractor place. They oughta have what you're looking for.

Sub-versive 11-06-2010 12:25 AM

Try a Knaack box. They are well made, have decent locking mechanisms.
For all out security a McWelco box is tough to beat.

SCOTI 11-06-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benelli (Post 4276554)
Check your local ag or contractor place. They oughta have what you're looking for.

I did @ the local Tractor Supply dealer. One small-ish tool 'chest' @ 32.5L x 14.5W x 13"H which is small enough to fit under the rail & out of sight but too small to fit much in & the locking mechanisms looked to be the same as what's available on the alum treadplate boxes (cheap & easy to break).

The 2nd larger choice was a jobsite type chest. It was larger @ 48L x 24W x 27.5H. But that's roughly 8.5" above the bed rail. The locks are much more tamper proof though....

I need that syle of box, 60L x 24W x 19H & seem to be striking out.

Sub-versive 11-06-2010 01:03 AM

Look at these:

http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_to...p?subcat_id=15

Model 42 on this page is close:
http://knaack.com/jobsite_storage_equipment/view_products.php?p_id=1

These are heavy duty, and priced that way too...
http://mcwelco.com/gangbox.htm

SCOTI 11-06-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sub-versive (Post 4280094)
Look at these:

The WeatherGuard steel boxes look promising as far as size but I'm not confident about the locking mechanism. It lists Tractor Supply as a dealer so I'll check again & see if I can see one in person to make an educated assessment of the lock.

The Knaacks are what I was considering; unfortunately the best size to fit the bed ('best size' = uses required space to maximum potential) is too tall.

I've been trying to find that Model 60 box used somewhere. I was considering 'lowering' the box :lol: so the lid is flush w/the bed rail but the cost of a new box plus having to cut it up is a bitter pill.....

The Mcwelco's lock set-up is just fugly & not an option.

Sub-versive 11-06-2010 01:38 AM

The McWelco 7414 is closest. I know for a fact they a tough. My brother-in-law had one(it may not have been this exact model, but close) in his '01 Chevy (after he got ripped of first), it would take a torch to get in. They are made in SoCal, and are expensive, about twice, maybe a hair more than twice the price of the Weatherguards.

**Ha. I was typing when you added the McWelco comment.
Using a Master 6270 style lock, not a regular padlock, it doesn't look bad in my opinion. But it's up to you.

Sub-versive 11-06-2010 01:52 AM

This style lock:

http://www.taylorsecurity.com/assets...gular/6270.jpg

JohnC 11-06-2010 09:20 AM

We used to have a Contico chest in our old store truck. It was a really nice box. The locks were just like regular toolbox locks though.

SCOTI 11-09-2010 03:04 AM

I went to Tractor Supply today on one of my errand trips & looked @ their boxes. The Weatherguard boxes do seem to have a much better locking mechanism vs. their 'generic' boxes. More support for the locks latch & internal rods & they seem to be made of substantial material vs. the cheap boxes.

They also had a 'Jobox' that was 24.5H x 24W x 48L. It was damaged in the front of the box & the mgr said he'd do 10% off the $299 price tag. Not bad but I prob would have jumped on it if he offered more of a discount.

It looked like it would take some work to get the Jobox weather-proof too. The lock 'pockets' would need some sealing so that puts the WeatherGuard box out front for now.

Hhmmm. . .... The black alum treadplate box or paint a white steel one body color?

lakeroadster 11-09-2010 08:32 AM

Hey Scoti I too have searched for a tool box but they all seem to be wrong dimnsionally. When I find one that has the right footprint it is too tall. I have decided that when I get to the point that I am ready to buy one I will "chop it".

I bought a cheapo plastic Stanley lock box for the wife's Jeep Wrangler to throw all our gear in. I too wanted it below the line of sight so I cut it down to size. We removed the rear seat and it pretty much fills the back of the Jeep.. pretty darn handy actually.

Toolboxes are crazy expensive... geeze! Anyway thought I'd throw my "hack it" idea out there. Seems like any and everything I buy for my truck I have to modify.

SCOTI 11-09-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 4285630)
Hey Scoti I too have searched for a tool box but they all seem to be wrong dimnsionally. When I find one that has the right footprint it is too tall. I have decided that when I get to the point that I am ready to buy one I will "chop it".I bought a cheapo plastic Stanley lock box for the wife's Jeep Wrangler to throw all our gear in. I too wanted it below the line of sight so I cut it down to size. We removed the rear seat and it pretty much fills the back of the Jeep.. pretty darn handy actually.

Toolboxes are crazy expensive... geeze! Anyway thought I'd throw my "hack it" idea out there. Seems like any and everything I buy for my truck I have to modify.

In my post above I referred to just this idea ;)
Quote:

I was considering 'lowering' the box so the lid is flush w/the bed rail but the cost of a new box plus having to cut it up is a bitter pill.....

I figured I would find a box that best uses the available space but is too tall & then section the box to my exact height requirement. The job-site style boxes are made w/16 to 12ga steel & would be easy enough to work with. I just hate the idea of having to spend $600 for a new box only to have to chop it up for my needs (labor + time + materials = an even more expensive box)..... I just couldn't find any used boxes & 10% off that new box @ TS didn't seem enough (looks like someone ran into the front of the box w/a pallet-jack).

I'd lke to think great minds think alike? :)

lakeroadster 11-09-2010 09:42 AM

Have you checked the local military surplus store? You could literally buy a truck load of these fro the price of one new tool box.... Just a thought.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...e-box-4904.cfm

bobvilla67 11-10-2010 01:31 PM

Have you checked out the Top Gun toolboxes? not sure if they have below the rail but the cross rail I have seen look tough. also Earl owens has a lot of toolboxes in stock you might check out.

SCOTI 12-23-2010 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, my box arrived today. I got a WeatherGuard 'all purpose chest'. 19.25H x 20W x 62L; steel, PC'd black. I got it unpacked & played around w/it until mother nature turned off my shop lighting (it got dark outside ;) ). I like the fit & already pulled some of my stuff out of the cab & put in the box to keep it weighed down until permanent installation can be completed.

Obligatory pics will follow @ installation completion.... Merry Xmas!

N2TRUX 12-23-2010 10:13 PM

It looks like Santa arrived early.

SCOTI 12-24-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4367151)
It looks like Santa arrived early.

Yes sir.

dammitmitchell 12-24-2010 02:24 PM

ive had one of those, and my friend still has one. He rolled his new truck last month and the box stayed closed. They had to cut him out of the truck but the box stayed closed!