The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Painting my 69' GMC this weekend -Rustolium style (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=429461)

silverado383 11-05-2010 10:29 AM

Painting my 69' GMC this weekend -Rustolium style

2 Attachment(s)
Well I have committed to painting my truck this weekend using rustolium. I have been reading a bunch of posts on this site about it, read the Hot Rod magazine article, been watching YouTube videos on it and I have decided to give it a shot. I purchases this truck about 2 months ago. The truck has a brand new GM crate motor (350), a newer 4 speed trans, axles, transfer case, 6” pro comp lift and 35” tires. The truck is premiered and stripped and pretty much ready to go, as of now I’m leaning towards a red or orange color. the truck is pretty straight and there is little to no rust which should save time. i want to get the body sealed up before winter hits us hard.
(sorry the pictures arent that great i took them with my phone, i will use a digital cammera this weekend)

Any advice you guys can give before I dive into it tonight would be great, I will keep you posted on the progress and I will post pictures of the before and after……………. Wish me luck, It will be a busy weekend

silverado383 11-05-2010 10:36 AM

Re: Painting my 69' GMC this weekend -Rustolium style

3 Attachment(s)
here are some pics of the motor after i spent about 4 hours cleaning it up

lakeroadster 11-05-2010 10:49 AM

Good luck, looking forward to the progress pictures. What color are you using?

Sillyoldman 11-05-2010 10:56 AM

Cant wait to see it. Are you able to use a well heated area?

silverado383 11-05-2010 11:02 AM

right now i'm leaning towards ORANGE, RED........maybe BLUE

i havent really commited to a color yet.

i will be painting it in a 3 car insulated garage and i have some pretty big space heaters lined out if need be, plus i just checked the weather and it will be mid to high 70's tomorow when i start painting.

i plan on touching up some primer spots and wet sanding tonight and i will probably get it tapped off as well then i will hit it hard first thing in the morning

robzilla 11-05-2010 11:21 AM

keep us up dated with pics, and progress reports. this is something i'm thinking about also

Youngbuck7072 11-05-2010 11:44 AM

slow, light, even coats, but you probably already knew that. are you using a gun, or the rattle can? if your using rattle cans, try to get your hands on some "fat caps". you can get a pack of 25 here:http://www.33third.com/SectionPages/...96482d9e&sel=0

there is also videos on youtube of people using them, most of them are in graffiti vids though....

lakeroadster 11-05-2010 11:44 AM

Red or Orange.... can't go wrong with either. Sunrise Red is sweet!

silverado383 11-05-2010 11:54 AM

I actually plan on using a roller...........i'm just as shocked as most of you i'm sure. i plan on doing a 70/30 mix 70% paint 30% mineral spirits.......maybe even a 60/40 or 50/50.
lay down one or tow coats.... wet sand wet sand wet sand wet sand.......... another coat or two.........wet sand wet sand wet sand wet sand........ maybe a few more coats and then.... wet sand wet sand wet sand..........
here are some quick links that i have seen (probably not the best referance)
you can also GOOGLE Images of Rustolium paint jobs and there are a buch of pictures that come up of the before and after

not going to lie............i'm pretty nervous:exit::eek::help:

Christiansok 11-05-2010 11:58 AM

Good luck with the paint job, hope it goes well and keep us updated!

On a side note looking at the side view of your truck the wheel placement looks really similar to mine. The front wheels back a bit in the wheel and well and the rear ones off a bit too. Was the trucks body swapped onto a later frame or is it stock? Just curious, might help me find out about my frame.

1LoC10 11-05-2010 12:00 PM

Is that last guy with the blue car Everyone loves Raymond? lol

tubbedII 11-05-2010 12:09 PM

If you're doing the roller style, make sure you tape off the engine bay well along the cowl and fenders. From the pics, it looks real clean and I've heard how much you thin the rustoleum to roll it possibly could drip down onto the black.

Can't wait to see the progress! Good luck!

Pop's C-10 11-05-2010 12:51 PM

Can't wait to see how it comes out

RPBurris 11-05-2010 02:32 PM

"On a side note looking at the side view of your truck the wheel placement looks really similar to mine. The front wheels back a bit in the wheel and well and the rear ones off a bit too. Was the trucks body swapped onto a later frame or is it stock? Just curious, might help me find out about my frame."

Christiansok

I have read on previous threads the offset of the wheels like this is due to lift kits. Is your truck lifted?

I have been thinking about a cheap paint job and cant wait to see how this turns out.

Shane 11-05-2010 02:46 PM

seriously? the guy with the ford dually mixed up some bondo and literally STUCK a patch over a rusty spot???

bondo body filler as an adhesive ... that's definitely a new one. :lol:

jd4300fel 11-05-2010 03:45 PM

i painted mine with rustoleum i sprayed it instead of rolling

swamp rat 11-06-2010 05:02 AM

I have read about this and seen the Utube too, it has allways sparked my interest as i just cant afford a real paint job and just want to make my truck look better. Looking foward to the pics.

swamp rat 11-06-2010 05:26 AM

This is the webpage i have been saving it has his step by steps including sanding after each coat to keep it smooth then a final polish to bring the shine back up, also some followups after time, the latest is 4 years, shows some rock chips and stuff. still better than my paint.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm

BigRed Beast 11-06-2010 09:04 AM

SILVERADO383...Don't fret, it's just paint! Since you're putting on 6-8 layers of paint, the first ones are not as important as you think. The right mix of mineral spirits to paint will lay down nicely to keep the sanding down to a minimum. To much or too little? Adjust as you continue to paint. And the initial sanding coats don't need to be too fine as you will continue to cover them.

It's a great budget technique, looks good and is easy to maintain and repair. My son's blazer has been painted this way and I've got no complaints.

BTW, it's Sunrise Red!

Sonicman 11-06-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 4280233)
This is the webpage i have been saving it has his step by steps including sanding after each coat to keep it smooth then a final polish to bring the shine back up, also some followups after time, the latest is 4 years, shows some rock chips and stuff. still better than my paint.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm

Thanks for sharing this link. Man that guy has a lot of projects. One day I'll have the patients and time do paint my truck.:ito:

swamp rat 11-06-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicman (Post 4280395)
Thanks for sharing this link. Man that guy has a lot of projects. One day I'll have the patients and time do paint my truck.:ito:

I'm sure his wife hates him! LOL!

id_unavailable 11-06-2010 06:45 PM

I love the idea because its different.
If I was a paint distributor / manufacture I would figure out a way to make painting at home easy without a compressor and gun.
Has anyone used waterborne auto paints here. If they are anything like water based poly for floors I think they could be used with an applicator pad with good results. Lots of coats with thin coverage.

71 super 11-06-2010 09:31 PM

My question is this, what happens when you can afford a real paint job and you have to take that stuff off? I completely understand the low buck idea especially if you want to sell, but if the truck is something you want to keep, why not leave it alone and save back a little money til you can do it with the right stuff? I know it is going to rust some more but how much more? Before I get bashed for saying this, I have been stock piling parts back for my 4x4 for the last 3 years and I teach, so the budget is limited as well.

bigguy69 11-06-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane (Post 4279124)
seriously? the guy with the ford dually mixed up some bondo and literally STUCK a patch over a rusty spot???

bondo body filler as an adhesive ... that's definitely a new one. :lol:

i was thinkin the same thing :lol:

VA72C10 11-06-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71 super (Post 4281302)
My question is this, what happens when you can afford a real paint job and you have to take that stuff off? I completely understand the low buck idea especially if you want to sell, but if the truck is something you want to keep, why not leave it alone and save back a little money til you can do it with the right stuff? I know it is going to rust some more but how much more? Before I get bashed for saying this, I have been stock piling parts back for my 4x4 for the last 3 years and I teach, so the budget is limited as well.

I am considering doing a rat rod for a "trash" truck build. If I do that I do know someone with a decent spray gun and compressor w/ filter setup, and I have leftover primer materials from my blazer build so I'll go ahead and spray it.

However, some don't have money and/or access to the gun/compressor. If I didn't I'd have no problem with my vehicle I was using as a Daily driver/work truck having a rustoleum job. It's better than being in primer and rusting. And the results look like a great 10 footer paint job if done right...just as good as many of the garage sprayed trucks I see out there for sale....