The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Best way to raise the bed floor (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=443970)

smashingchuck 01-31-2011 03:15 PM

Best way to raise the bed floor

Alright guys, It's time to at least start thinking about the next phase of the truck, and that will be raising the bed floor. I'm not sure how to do it really. My original thought was to leave the stock crossmembers in, and space it up with 3"x1" x1/16 wall square tubing, but I really don't like that idea now too much. My major concerns are strength and form. The body work on my outer skins is already done so I hope I don't have to weld on those or atleast keep it to a minimum.

Here are my goals:
*I would like to run stock wheel tubs.
*I would like to do a flat floor, and have the inner bedsides run straight down on the inside. I know I will have to make a skeleton out of 1x1 but I'm just not sure what to attatch it to on the outside peremeter???
*I'm not sure exactly how high I want to raise it, but I was thinking 3". I would still have to run a separate raised "notch cover" if this was the case.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what to do for a fuel tank. I cant put it where the factory saddle bombs go cause thats where my air tanks are, my exhaust runs all the way out the back so theres no room where a blazer tank would go, and I really would like to conceal it somewhere rather than mount it to the inside of the bed. Any ideas on this??

any pictures, ideas on fuel cells/tanks, and ideas on how to attatch this new floor to the existing skins would be great. Right now the bed is assembled but all the floor/inner fenders have been cut out. The factory crossmembers are still in place.

maxxxy 01-31-2011 05:27 PM

Re: Best way to raise the bed floor

ive been thinking about this too. i think for a gas tak you are probably going to have to modify your exhaust and do a blazer tank or a fuel cell. check out this link on the raised bed floor

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=409466

smashingchuck 01-31-2011 05:32 PM

That is just not an option.
Posted via Mobile Device

smashingchuck 01-31-2011 05:38 PM

I just don't consider that a safe place to mount a gas tank on a bagged truck. Too close to the ground and too much danger of something puncturing it or even dragging it. Maybe I can have one made that fits between the frame rails in the front of the bed, under the raised bed floor? To me that's the safest place to put it.
Posted via Mobile Device

smashingchuck 01-31-2011 05:45 PM

Hers what my bed looks like now....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...pictureid=5071
Posted via Mobile Device

N2TRUX 01-31-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingchuck (Post 4452495)
That is just not an option.]

Unfortunately your going to have to consider some sort of compromise. With you set on a full length exhuast out the back, a custom built tank is in your future
Posted via Mobile Device

smashingchuck 01-31-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4453306)
Unfortunately your going to have to consider some sort of compromise. With you set on a full length exhuast out the back, a custom built tank is in your future
Posted via Mobile Device

I've already given in to the custom tank, just got to find a place to put it....
Posted via Mobile Device

4x4fab 02-01-2011 09:04 AM

put it between the rails, in the front part of your bed. Just build it to have clearence for the driveshaft. I think that's my plans on my 64'.

N2TRUX 02-01-2011 11:29 AM

Post your frame pics from the rear again. That will give us an idea of what your working with. Take a look at what Keith (n2billet) is doing on Hazel.

smashingchuck 02-01-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4fab (Post 4454145)
put it between the rails, in the front part of your bed. Just build it to have clearance for the drive shaft. I think that's my plans on my 64'.

Kinda what I'm leaning twoards but I don't want my drive shaft any where near it. Glad I've already got the hoop.

smashingchuck 02-01-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4454359)
Post your frame pics from the rear again. That will give us an idea of what your working with. Take a look at what Keith (n2billet) is doing on Hazel.

these are the only ones I have handy.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...pictureid=5074

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...pictureid=5073

67cheby 02-01-2011 12:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My tank doesnt hang down under my frame at all

67cheby 02-01-2011 12:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
heres a couple shots of my bed mounts and sides

smashingchuck 02-01-2011 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for the pics that looks really nice. I found another pic...

67cheby 02-01-2011 12:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
now i see your exhaust dilema, how about hanging a round gas tank like my air tank

smashingchuck 02-01-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4454500)
now i see your exhaust dilema, how about hanging a round gas tank like my air tank

That location, to me is ideal. I could probably fit one in where you mounted your fuel cell if I raise the bed floor higher. Which brings me to another decesion... My initial plan was to raise the floor only 3", and have a cover over the notch and bridge. Do you fellas think it would look better with a floor thats raised more, and is completely flat, or a floor that is a little deeper but has a cover over the notch. The more I raise the floor, the easier its going to be to get a fuel cell mounted under there. Also, does anbody agree with me that mounting the tank near the back is safetly concern? I see a lot of people doing it.

jasonhall 02-01-2011 05:21 PM

My tank is going to be in the rear but raised up quite a bit. I like the look of a raised bed floor with no notch. looks cleaner to me

smashingchuck 02-01-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonhall (Post 4455090)
My tank is going to be in the rear but raised up quite a bit. I like the look of a raised bed floor with no notch. looks cleaner to me

I like it too, what I dont like is when the floor is too high. So I guess the question should be how high is too high?

jasonhall 02-01-2011 05:58 PM

Im gonna do mine like 9 and 3/4 inches. There wont be much floor left but it will hide every thing and still be able to haul some chairs and a cooler

SCOTI 02-01-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingchuck (Post 4455135)
I like it too, what I dont like is when the floor is too high. So I guess the question should be how high is too high?

I agree. I like the floors flat & raised a moderate amount.

If/when it needs to be raised so much it's extremely shallow, I prefer moderate raising & adding a stepped portion above the rear housing. This is how the floor is for my RetroRod (moderately raised & stepped over the rearend). It's one piece though w/continuous 'runners' front to rear. The main floor is 3" higher than stock & the area over the rearend is an additional 4".

Would you consider slightly revising your exhaust if it ultimately exited in the same fashion? If so, what about running the pipes straight back parallel to the rails until it gets to that rear-most x-member. At that point 90° turns toward the center of the truck & into the tips? That should allow room for a fuel cell that fits under a raised floor.

jlaird 02-01-2011 08:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
heres some pictures I've saved over the years that might give you some ideas.

jlaird 02-01-2011 08:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
couple more

smashingchuck 02-01-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4455516)
I agree. I like the floors flat & raised a moderate amount.

Would you consider slightly revising your exhaust if it ultimately exited in the same fashion? If so, what about running the pipes straight back parallel to the rails until it gets to that rear-most x-member. At that point 90° turns toward the center of the truck & into the tips? That should allow room for a fuel cell that fits under a raised floor.

I'm considering that... going to do some measuring next time I'm out to the shop and see where I'm at. Thinking I might be able to sneek something in above the pipes as they are, but if not.... off they will come. You wouldn't be concerned of the out come if I get rear ended?

SCOTI 02-01-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingchuck (Post 4455585)
I'm considering that... going to do some measuring next time I'm out to the shop and see where I'm at. Thinking I might be able to sneek something in above the pipes as they are, but if not.... off they will come. You wouldn't be concerned of the out come if I get rear ended?

There's a bunch of blazers & burbs running around w/the tank back there, not to mention Camaros, Malibu's, Mustangs, etc......

Shane 02-02-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4456058)
There's a bunch of blazers & burbs running around w/the tank back there, not to mention Camaros, Malibu's, Mustangs, etc......

I was thinking the same exact thing ... hundreds of thousands of rear-mounted tank vehicles out there. Seriously, if you get rear-ended hard enough to damage the fuel tank then you got lots of other issues to worry about before fire.