The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Why I Didnt Buy A Chevy and Bought a Sierra (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=447826)

ChevyTruckGuy 02-19-2011 01:41 PM

Why I Didnt Buy A Chevy and Bought a Sierra

5 Attachment(s)
Im a chevy guy I guess even though I have owned fords in the past. If anybody asked me back then why I have chevy bumper stickers on my ford I told them because I couldent afford a chevy, lol.
When it came time to by a new truck back in '08 I did the usual research and test drove the compatition. I drove the chevy and it was nice but I couldent get past the way the front was designed. Not to knock my favorite brand, I love the chevys but couldent spend the 30k on one.
Heres the thing. When I pull along side a chevy silverado the thing I dont like besides the built in fender flairs was how the head lights wrapped around into the fenders. It dosent look good to my eyes. Hate the position of the amber running lights as well...
Well when I saw the Sierra I fell in love. The front end looked beautiful, head lights were perfect and to me it even kinda looks tough. I didnt like the rounded built in fender flairs but what can I do? It wasnt enough to discourage me from taking the next step. The 5.3 is awesome however if I had it to do over again I would have looked at the 6.2? motor and rather then the aluminum stock 17's I would have gotten the stock 20's, still probably will. I was going to use this truck for commuting but instead I got a 96 silverado to put the 1000 miles on per week, 7 weeks after I bought the new truck. I got the sle1 package ex cab stealth grey color cloth seats. Okay maybe leather seats would have been better....
In 11 more months I will have the pink slip. Then I will probably lower it a bit, get the rims and tires, tint the windows and enjoy it......
Here is a pic of it when I got it and my twin sheds I just finished building a while back......It bounces from the sheds with retractable roof and the garage...I built these sheds mostly from scrap/ recycled materials. I even have a youtube video build on them if anybody is interested....
Dont hate me for being honest, lol, Mike

PS..MY NEXT TRUCK WILL BE A USED 2008 CHEVY REG. CAB SHORTY......:lol:

msgross 02-19-2011 01:51 PM

Re: Why I Didnt Buy A Chevy and Bought a Sierra

I like the GMC nose better as well...

1000000to1 02-20-2011 04:01 AM

I agree Gmc looks better.:four:

Shaun1162 02-20-2011 09:39 AM

Yep, I definately agree on the GMC nose having a better design... I kind of regret getting a '10 Chevy instead of a Sierra.. Oh well it's still nice!

ChevyTruckGuy 02-20-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun1162 (Post 4499246)
Yep, I definately agree on the GMC nose having a better design... I kind of regret getting a '10 Chevy instead of a Sierra.. Oh well it's still nice!

Yeah it's nice. The only regret one should have is if they bought a nissan or something like that. Chevy/GMC are the bestest imo, lol, Mike

Otsa580 02-21-2011 09:53 PM

I like the GMC better too. I just happened to walk into a Chevy dealer and drove out with a new Chevy.

Morfias4Twenty 04-19-2011 03:31 PM

GMC front end is way nicer imo, even with the Yukon/Tahoe. thats why I have me a Nice 08 Yukon Denali..

wiggins 04-19-2011 06:06 PM

Did the same Thing. I am a Chevy guy but when it was time for a new truck I couldnt get over that front end. Bought an 08' GMC 3/4 ton Z71 w a 6.0L, love it!

DirtyLarry 04-21-2011 06:42 PM

Nice truck Chevytruckguy. I love that color too! The Sierra is definitely the better looking of the GMT900 twins. I love the ’73-’80 influence in the grill and the bulging fender flairs. The Silverado is just downright distasteful from every angle.

One thing that I cannot stand about the GMT900’s is the poor sheet metal where you can see stamping divots in the doors and bed slabs. The unprotected door edges at the bottom are a total joke and will be a huge problem for those people that live in the rust belt. I don’t know what GM was thinking by putting a door edge running parallel to the road where it will get badly chipped from road debris then rust like crazy. Other than the doors, the GMT900 Sierra is a sweet rig.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/...e2c1e801_z.jpg

Here is how the door edges should be… protected by a rocker panel with a flat surface that runs parallel to the road instead of a sharp edge. Flat surfaces do not chip like a sharp edge does.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2766/...470e11f2_z.jpg

60ratrod 04-22-2011 03:25 AM

i actually don't mind the chevy nose. i like it more than the gmc nose

buffle 04-22-2011 11:03 AM

I like the chevy nose better , that`s why I bought one.

Sicklajoie 04-23-2011 08:06 AM

Add me in to the GMC parade. I think the GMC's have looked better since 2003.
I also like the fact the 3/4 tons come with 17 inch or optional 18 inch instead of the puny donuts they had before.

piecesparts 04-24-2011 03:09 PM

I just purchased a new GMC for many of the same reasons. The nose design is more tasteful, and the flares on the bedsides and the fenders is more of a design rather than just big square chunk hanging out there. The only thing I hate about the new design is the fact that the truck sits so damn high. I purchased a two wheel drive and it is as tall as my old 72 4X4 was after the four inch lift kit was installed.

LEEVON 04-24-2011 07:05 PM

I'm not crazy about the chevy front ends, but i couldn't get past the GMC fenders...so I'm on my second '08 silverado.

...and I see my old red '02 Z71 shorty made a cameo appearance too! :lol:

MadManAndrew 04-25-2011 09:29 PM

Chevy. Gettin' me a new one soon. Sorry.

HEAVY3100 08-02-2012 12:00 AM

Last week I bought a 2012 Chevy , I like it better than the Gmc nose :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

badpontiacs 08-12-2012 06:07 PM

GMC all the way! I worked for a Chevy dealer, and I will say I like the tahoe front end better that the yukons. As for the trucks, I like the GMC way better. I have an '06 and an '08.

yote1234 08-18-2012 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ALSO LIKED THE GMC OVER THE CHEV...

just bought one yesterday...

2013_GMC_BLACK_SLT 01-03-2013 12:33 AM

Agree that the GMC is a better looking truck. Has a tougher look to me. Just bought a '13 SEIRRA SLT Crew Cab 4X4 2 weeks ago. NO REGRETS!

My neighbor just brought home a '13 Chevrolet Extended Cab 4X4 today, Nice truck also!

2014's aren't looking so good though...................................:gmc2:

Dalaigh 01-03-2013 05:08 PM

I like both models, the reason I bought a Chevy is simply because of the dealers I had options buying from. The Chevy dealer was $3000 cheaper for effectively the same model truck. Fun thing is, I bought the truck while I was working out of province, and the Chevy was $5000 cheaper then the dealers in my home town. Plus the taxes were cheaper too. I made out like a bandit on the Silverado and couldn't be happier.

piecesparts 01-03-2013 05:12 PM

I definitely like the 2011 GMC that I have. The 5.3 works well for an engine that size and the HP change with a simple tune made it different. I purchased my truck with the 20" factory rims and since then have upgraded to a set of aftermarket 20" rims.

2013_GMC_BLACK_SLT 01-03-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piecesparts (Post 5793750)
I definitely like the 2011 GMC that I have. The 5.3 works well for an engine that size and the HP change with a simple tune made it different. I purchased my truck with the 20" factory rims and since then have upgraded to a set of aftermarket 20" rims.

Frank,

I was already thinking about a tune. What do you suggest. What did you change with your factory tune? I also have the 5.3

piecesparts 01-04-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013_GMC_BLACK_SLT (Post 5793806)
Frank,

I was already thinking about a tune. What do you suggest. What did you change with your factory tune? I also have the 5.3

I have a person that lives not far from me that uses the EFI Live programs. He downloaded the stuff for my 2011 and we used his computers to setup a new fuel map, adjust the tranny shift points (made them tighter to eliminate slow shifts) and moved the fuel cutoff up to a point where it will not affect higher speeds (the original cutoff is at 93 MPH). I also installed a CAI kit and a set of long tube headers to get the engine to operate more efficiently. The truck runs like a little hotrod now.

2013_GMC_BLACK_SLT 01-04-2013 10:31 AM

Which brand of headers did you use? I typically like SLP or KOOKS. Did you also do High Flow Cats?

piecesparts 01-04-2013 11:01 AM

I purchased a set of KOOKS and their high flow cat intermediate pipe. We had to deal with an O2 sensor issue with the cats, but that is solved now and the truck runs great. The exhaust system no longer has the resonator after the cats and I finished it off with a Magnaflow muffler that had a 3" inlet and dual 2 1/2" outlets. The exhaust is now run to the rear bumper with Megs oval tips tucked close for clearance. There is no resonance in the cab and when under heavy acceleration the sound is amazing.