The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Coop's beast (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=457762)

coops714x4 04-06-2011 02:22 PM

Coop's beast

5 Attachment(s)
Ok Im pretty new here and this is my first 4X4 project its actually pretty simple compaired to what i've seen on here
1971 chevy K20 bought it from a guy in northern Kansas it has a 350 (told me its a roller motor) it runs great, granny 4sp, np205 the old truck runs and drives GREAT the body !! well thats another story putting it plain and simple its ROTTEN cancer EVERYWHERE !!!!!

My plan is 454, 700R4,my NP205, rebuild the front and rear axles and then just redo the body well not this body its TOO far gone

coops714x4 04-06-2011 02:29 PM

Re: Coop's beast

4 Attachment(s)
Right now I'm gathering parts and info not gonna do anything wild or radical I plan on making a daily driver out of it and I've been the HOT ROD route! just want a DEPENDABLE,TOUGH truck that I dont have to hook up to a computer to diagnose a problem (sick of that crap)

Altec 04-06-2011 06:07 PM

Looks like a good starting point! Why 700? Don't like manuals?

coops714x4 04-06-2011 06:11 PM

LUV the manuals little hard for me to drive tho Im dissabled (spine injury)

Altec 04-06-2011 06:15 PM

Oh, that's understandable. Sorry to hear about that. Well, there is always a manual valve body for the 700! I got a 4L80E I'm saving for just that conversion. Done 400's before for my Father's race car, but never tried a OD transmission.

Have you found a replacement cab yet? I imagine that is going to be the worst part of the whole build.

coops714x4 04-06-2011 06:36 PM

I've done the 700R4 in 2wd before LOVE em they have a 20% lower 1st gear so it will launch better and with the OD it will get about 40% better gas mileage on the highway
I use a (monster trans) kit to rebuild them and then there almost bullet proof
I am buying there SS trans conversion this time they guarantee it up to 700 hp dont think Ill be putting no where near that to it I figure about 475 hp and thats PLENTY for me heck with the small block in it now I can get 75 mph in a little over a block (LOW GEARS) AND THATS THE WAY WE LIKE IT that reminds me I need to research my junk and find out what I got! I know there LOW prob 4.56 or lower

I got a cab, front clip, the BIG BLOCK and most of my brackets! Got a SMOKIN deal on a 780 HOLLEY from a board member

coops714x4 04-06-2011 06:56 PM

OK now the cats out of the bag! so Ill let everyone know YES im dissabled I was hurt in a oilfield accident 2 years ago and got my spine messed up NO Im NOT HANDYCAPED I do have alot of problems (tho most are not related to my back HENCE the "DAIN BRAMAGED" ) the nerves to my left leg are affected I have alot of pain, limited use of my leg and sometimes i fall down go BOOM LOL but I keep on trying

This build means ALOT to me FIRST my son is helping me this will be the first build he and I have done together, he has a family and a full time job so his help is limited,
SECOND Im hoping this will help me regain a sence of SELF WORTH and DIGNITY ( Its rough when the GOVERNMENT tells you "your too old to retrain and you STILL wouldnt have much use to society) Im tired of sitting on my butt so this is my way of telling them to KISS THIS anyway this WILL be a BIG challenge to me but its time to GET BUSY LIVING

propanemudtruck 04-07-2011 01:07 PM

Well through all the hardship, GOOD FOR YOU! Have fun with your build and take your time. Sounds like it's gonna turn out a pretty nice truck ;)

Altec 04-07-2011 03:10 PM

What's that saying? "Don't let the bastards keep you down!"

I'm sure you'll love working on the old truck with your Son! Some of my best memories with my Dad are working on his '81.

Oh, you probably know this already, but mating the 205 to the 700 is going to need some work. Not sure what is needed, but some searching came up with this thread. Seems pretty straight forward.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362566

coops714x4 04-07-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propanemudtruck (Post 4606400)
Well through all the hardship, GOOD FOR YOU! Have fun with your build and take your time. Sounds like it's gonna turn out a pretty nice truck ;)

Thanks its been tough and the Neurologist says it will get worse BUT Im not gonna set on my BUTT and rot away!! so I just GRIT my teeth and move ahead as far as fun its been a BLAST so far, my son is even fired up about it and hes a mini truck guy he has a 85? i think S-10 thats bagged with a CUSTOM built triangulated 4 link did have a 383 stroker in it and he decided that was to much so he is putting a 4.3 V6 vortec in in now I think hes has most of it done and is working on the wiring now stay tuned I have a few tricks for the BEAST that Ill disclose at a later time

coops714x4 04-07-2011 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=Altec;4606555]What's that saying? "Don't let the bastards keep you down!"

HELL NO!!!! Im still gonna do as MUCH as I can, and try to enjoy my life
I love working on ANYTHING with my son. Ive got pics of him since he was about 4 workin on stuff with me CARS TRUCKS and HARLEY'S heck at age 10 he could take off and tear down a BENDIX carb (OLD HARLEY) and was my PIT CREW with my old nova hot rod. and had is own hot rod pickup at 14 and it hasn't stopped yet
as far as the 700R4 conversion. Im getting the SS kit from monster transmissions and the adapter from advanced adapters Im going to fab my own 4wd shifter brackets and linkage so it will still be in same location in the truck Ill have to shorten the rear and lengthen the front driveshafts and im going to make my automatic linkage so i can use the column shifter
TUNE IN TOMORROW FOR SOME PICS AND UPDATES ON PARTS AQUIRED

coops714x4 04-07-2011 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is my motor BIG BLOCK:metal::chevy: 454 out of a 1980 1 ton got a smokin deal on it from a MOPAR fan :waah: Ill tear it down and send it to my machinist, he'll vat it then mic it out. I plan on boring it (wonder if I can get 468 fender emblems) other than that just whatever it takes to clean it up, hope I can leave the bottom end stock

coops714x4 04-07-2011 08:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the cab I got from a new friend in OKC he is the one who turned me on to this forum (THINK I OWE HIM BIG) got the front clip,door,fender,inner fender and cowl from him also ANOTHER SMOKIN DEAL
the cab has some rust! the usual cab corners and rockers and the drivers rear cab brace and a little at the edge of rockers on floor pan (NO BIGGIE) Ive got a REAL GOOD body man (MY SON JAMES)
I think we might even start on some of the body work this weekend :bann::new::fb: dang this is as much fun as the build

onebadbowtie 04-07-2011 08:34 PM

looks like you got a pretty good start :metal:

Nomad74 04-07-2011 09:00 PM

That motor will be sweet in that K20!

coops714x4 04-07-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie (Post 4607076)
looks like you got a pretty good start :metal:

yeah I think I do but yaknow its kinda like rasslin a grizzly bear just when ya think its going your way ya get bit in the A#@ BUT I got bandaids

thanks Nomad74 Im a fan of HOSS POWER! I think it will do just fine

coops714x4 04-08-2011 05:16 PM

:new: Ok I need some advise were gonna start working on the cab and since its off the truck I figure it would be easier to change out any A/C parts !! the question is WHAT DO I DEFINATELY NEED TO CHANGE ?? and Im talking about stuff that since the cab is off it would be easier to do it now YAKNOWWHUTIMEEN :fb:

abebummy26 04-08-2011 07:29 PM

I believe the more politically correct phrase is "Illegitimi non carborundum". I'm glad to see someone not letting a disability hold them back. My grandpa did a brake job on my brother's 77 ford with a busted back, when he was 75.

coops714x4 04-08-2011 11:41 PM

thanks man I appreciate it! it sucks that I have to live the rest of my life with the pain and limitations BUT to have someone who dosent even know me say that I wont be a productive member of society so we are not going to do anything for you THAT BURNS MY A#@
:flagw: I LOVE MY COUNTRY :flagw: BUT I FEAR MY GOVERNMENT

coops714x4 04-10-2011 10:21 PM

I can't believe NO ONE has any advise on the air conditioning ??? man did i scare everyone away!!!!

Altec 04-10-2011 10:29 PM

I think it has to do with our little 4x4 corner of the forum doesn't get as much attention as the rest of the site... Make it a SWB 2WD. They'll eat it up... :lol:

I'd pose the question in the 67-72 area. I'm sure there it will get answered in no time! :metal:

SulphuriousSam 05-08-2011 03:18 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Wish I had advice for ya! And I wish mine was four wheel drive LOL but 2wd is what I gots. Someday I'm gonna find a 60's or 70's 4wd and then I can hang out in this quiet side of the forum;)

I hope yours comes together tho! Hey since you have some problems with that left leg did ya put a suicide shifter on yer bike?! I always thought those were cool:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

SulphuriousSam 05-08-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SulphuriousSam (Post 4669140)
Posted via Mobile Device

Wish I had advice for ya! And I wish mine was four wheel drive LOL but 2wd is what I gots. Someday I'm gonna find a 60's or 70's 4wd and then I can hang out in this quiet side of the forum;)

I hope yours comes together tho! Hey since you have some problems with that left leg did ya put a suicide shifter on yer bike?! I always thought those were cool:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Wait...wrong side isn't it? Never mind :uhmk:
Posted via Mobile Device

coops714x4 05-08-2011 05:05 PM

Sam my bike is pretty stock the only thing that my leg makes hard is getting it off the kickstand and holding it up I manage tho thought about putting a trike kit on it but I havent dropped it yet so until I do Ill keep her on 2 wheels

chvyboy 12-14-2011 09:58 PM

looks like a fun project... subscribed!