The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Truck or Car ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=470287)

Blazn C5 06-17-2011 11:36 PM

Truck or Car ?

I am hoping I can get some good info from you guys on the subject of blazers being considered trucks or cars? I have an opportunity to get my hands on a pair of black and gold plates to use on my blazer. They are commercial and end in the letter " G ", which i have been told is correct for 1970. My problem is people that I have talked to are split on if blazers are cars or trucks. The DMV hasn't been helpful and I cant get a straight answer out of them, I know big surprise right ! The plates are DMV clear and come with a 1970 sticker for the YOM program. I just want to make sure I am not wasting my money for these plates.

Anthony

Gillnetter 06-18-2011 01:00 AM

Re: Truck or Car ?

In British Columbia Blazers are considered passenger vehicles and are issued car licence plates.Rules and regs might be different in California.

mcmlxix 06-18-2011 05:31 AM

.. depends on local regs....
PA = Wagon aka Station Wagon aka Passenger Car
NV = Truck

truckster 06-18-2011 08:03 PM

It was designated by the manufacturer as a light truck.

american revolution 06-19-2011 12:04 AM

my avalanche is not really a truck and is commercial plates...great when i'm downtown i can park in yellow zones.

last time i was at DMV they advised me that 1970 was the start of the blue plate....couldn't use black plates...only '69 or earlier

jaros44sr 06-19-2011 11:58 AM

Thing is, that it has a back seat and windows, it makes it a station wagon, in Pa. anyways

truckster 06-19-2011 02:31 PM

It's interesting how things get classified. The original Subaru Brat had seats added in the back to avoid a stiff import duty on light trucks called the chicken tax. With seats in the back, it qualified as a passenger vehicle.

The Ford Transit van that's built in Turkey is imported to the US with a rear seat for the same reason. As soon as it reaches the US, the seats are pulled out and destroyed so it can be sold as a cargo van.

I guess it depends on your state's DMV, but Blazers were manufactured as light trucks.

Fesser 06-19-2011 02:32 PM

In CA Blazers are registered as passenger vehicles, not commercial vehicles. That said, I'm pretty sure DMV will let you register it as a commercial vehicle if you want to. Where people get in trouble is when they try to register trucks as passenger vehicles to avoid the extra fees. Also, if you are going for the "correct" look, 70's were blue with yellow letters. Frank

70BLAZERX2 06-19-2011 02:47 PM

In delaware the blazers were listed as station wagon's on the dmv

lolife99 06-19-2011 03:21 PM

Mine is licensed as a truck.
They are built on the truck platform,... I don't see how they could ever be viewed as a passenger car.

(like an El Camino is built on the chevelle staton wagon frame,... and it will always be a car to me)

72BlckButy 06-19-2011 07:29 PM

Definitely a truck...

YBNORML 06-19-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4744028)
Mine is licensed as a truck.
They are built on the truck platform,... I don't see how they could ever be viewed as a passenger car.

(like an El Camino is built on the chevelle staton wagon frame,... and it will always be a car to me)

X2 you took the words right out of my mouth:)

Fesser 06-19-2011 10:30 PM

Guys, I think he was asking about the plates that California's DMV would have issued not how we would describe a Blazer. Since he was specifically talking about which CA plates should go on it, the answer for CA is passenger vehicle plates, not commercial plates. I have a 3/4 ton, big block, 4x4, Suburban with posi and Hydrboost brakes and CA still sees it as a car when it comes to the plates that are assigned. My old 72 C10 shortbed was considered a commercial vehicle. CA is a weird place to be.

Blazn C5 06-20-2011 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I just spoke to a person at DMV Special Processing Unit in Sacramento and have been told that I can use commercial black and gold plates for my blazer. The reason being is that the top is not a permanent part of the blazer ( bolts on or off ) so they consider it a truck, commercial vehicle. If it had a permanent roof like a suburban it would be considered a passenger vehicle. I was also told that since the plates that I want to use came from another commercial vehicle from 1970 ( an el camino ) and has the correct year sticker it wouldn't be a problem. Just fill out the YOM Form 352 and check the Reassignment box and have the previous owner fill out another of the same form and check the Release of Interest box and I am good to go. Sounds pretty easy but I'll see what happens, it is the DMV and could be different by tomorrow.

Fesser 06-20-2011 10:00 PM

Cool. The important thing is you get to run the plates that you want. DMV will be happy to let you pay commercial fees. They aren't as forgiving when you go the other route.