The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   sheetmetal help/advice (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=481228)

1967wannabe 08-24-2011 11:34 AM

sheetmetal help/advice

Hey guys,

Just getting started with my build, the first thing I'm gonna do is order up a new 67 front clip: hood, fenders, grille and radiator support. I want to mock up the front end and then get one of our body men to get it all fitting right before I blow the truck apart.

All the sheet metal will be painted, cut & buffed before reassembly so I need to make sure all the panels are pre-fitted and right before tear-down.

Anyway, I've looked at LMC, Goodmark, ECE and others. I don't want to pay any more than I should but I don't want any junk either, any advice on who I should go with?

Also, Goodmark lists two 67 grilles, one with grille fillers and one without. Nobody else (that I saw) listed two. What's the difference?

Thanks!

dubds10 08-24-2011 03:00 PM

Re: sheetmetal help/advice

You live in Texas...go find stock OEM sheet metal lol Hell of a lot cheaper and will fit better. You live in a dry climate with limited rust so I'd look around craigslist in your neighbourhood before forking out cash for something that's probably in your backyard ;)

1967wannabe 08-24-2011 03:59 PM

Houston isn't Albuquerque, most vintage iron around here is rotted pretty bad.
I mean not like the cancer you see in Pittsburgh or Buffalo but not anything as clean as they've got West of Amarillo.

Rochlow 08-24-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubds10 (Post 4862933)
You live in Texas...go find stock OEM sheet metal lol Hell of a lot cheaper and will fit better. You live in a dry climate with limited rust so I'd look around craigslist in your neighbourhood before forking out cash for something that's probably in your backyard ;)

Spend the time and money on OEM sheetmetal. I used aftermarket stuff on my blazer I have more time reaming holes and shimming panels to get it to fit. I've scratched the hell out of my paint trying to get it to fit.

Honestly, I have about 40-50 hours in fitting the aftermarket sheet metal and I'm still not happy with it. If you have any questions I'll send you a picture of how ill fitting the doors and fenders are.

Speaking from experience I wish I would have spent the extra on the OEM stuff..

JORGIE95961 08-24-2011 04:32 PM

OEM ALL THE WAY.of course i am in Californias north valley.... Ive ordered some patch panels that have been a pain in the butt, but have cut out as much as i could from donors

Eddie H. 08-24-2011 05:20 PM

After my last battle trying to make aftermarket Chinese fenders fit, I will never go that route again. I'll find OEM parts somewhere.