The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   c20 suspension recap? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=488912)

1968robinsegg 10-14-2011 12:16 AM

c20 suspension recap?

hello everybody another newbie here, found this site the other day and have been reading ever since! awesome site-so much information its unbelieveable and everyone seems so happy to help! its very appreciated!!

my question is this- i just got a 1968 c20 with rear leafs, 8 lug, manual steering and brakes.

from what i gather and excuse me if this incorrect- the front suspension from a 73-87 1/2 ton chev or gmc truck/van will bolt in place to get 5 lug bolt pattern,front disc power brakes? also i can use the booster and master and the p/s parts?

the rear diff will be wider by about a inch and a half and will need new perches welded on with a 2 or 3 degree down pinion angle?

last ?? i was thinking of using the 5" lowering leafs from early classics, has anyone used these? good or bad??

thanks for the help!!!

SCOTI 10-14-2011 01:00 AM

Re: c20 suspension recap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968robinsegg (Post 4952493)
my question is this- i just got a 1968 c20 with rear leafs, 8 lug, manual steering and brakes.

from what i gather and excuse me if this incorrect- the front suspension from a 73-87 1/2 ton chev or gmc truck/van will bolt in place to get 5 lug bolt pattern,front disc power brakes? also i can use the booster and master and the p/s parts?

Correct.

Quote:

the rear diff will be wider by about a inch and a half and will need new perches welded on with a 2 or 3 degree down pinion angle?
1/2 tons? Yes. 8-lug 3/4 tons might be the same width.

Quote:

last ?? i was thinking of using the 5" lowering leafs from early classics, has anyone used these? good or bad??

thanks for the help!!!
Just about everything from their catalog is a quality part. But for 5-6" of drop, flipping the rear to the top of some stock 1/2 ton springs might work just as well.

1968robinsegg 10-14-2011 01:11 AM

thanks for the reply good point about the axle flip i guess that slipped my mind. my hope is to get a donor truck and get all my parts in one bunch, hopefully will be a winter spent in my garage!!:lol:

if i did the axle flip--if i weld the perches parallel to the original ones i'm thinking my i wont have enough pinion angle?(probably be around 0 deg.) or would it stay the same?

SCOTI 10-14-2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968robinsegg (Post 4952562)
thanks for the reply good point about the axle flip i guess that slipped my mind. my hope is to get a donor truck and get all my parts in one bunch, hopefully will be a winter spent in my garage!!:lol:

if i did the axle flip--if i weld the perches parallel to the original ones i'm thinking my i wont have enough pinion angle?(probably be around 0 deg.) or would it stay the same?

If you have to weld the perches, might as well set the pinion as close to ideal as possible. Shims can adjust more after that if needed.

1968robinsegg 10-14-2011 02:27 AM

sorry everybody i see now going farther back this has been talked to DEATH!!!
thanks for the help and patience though!!:gmc2::box:

lolife99 10-14-2011 03:55 AM

Welcome to the board!
There are quite a few subjects that get "talked to death".
But that's why we are here.

Keep us posted on your project,... and remember,... we like pictures!
Ha.