The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Anybody into old gas pumps? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=495653)

CMACDONALD1 11-25-2011 06:12 PM

Anybody into old gas pumps?

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought this pump in the spring and think they are pretty cool. This one is original unrestored except for the globe on top. If you have some pics post them up I would love to see them.

big mike71 11-25-2011 07:32 PM

Re: Anybody into old gas pumps?

I don't have one, But I think they're cool.

Ridnhi 11-28-2011 01:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have two, both in unrestored condition. The first pump is in pretty bad shape but I think it looks cool outside by pole barn. The second came from a gas station that my grandfather worked at in the 50's. I found it on CL and after finding out what station it came from I had to buy it. The second is 100% complete.

Clyde65 11-28-2011 12:03 PM

Those are real cool, my dad had a friend that had a few, he restored them and they were real neat to look at.

Zebb 11-28-2011 03:24 PM

I have a MS80 in front of the garage.

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/jsuitor/frameoutside.jpg

Also have a small gasboy ag pump in front of my shed. Don't have a pic of that one but I did it up john deere.

70-Shorty 11-28-2011 03:38 PM

I had restored a Tokheim 39 Tall Boy very similar to the OP's but i pinstriped it and put a custom logo that said "Schoonerville High-Octane Ale", we then motorized the computer face, put a water pump in it to make the spinner work and utilized a micro switch on the handle to release the solenoid that dispensed the beer. OUT OF THE NOZZLE! I've never seen one like it. I have to see if i have any pics, it was done 12-15 years ago. I used to restore a lot of gas pumps and Coca-Cola machines but settled on old 50's and down Schwinn balloon tire bikes. Bikes you can actually do something with (ride em!) as opposed to a static gas pump. I will say that the supply of old gas pumps has really gotten thin over the last 5 years, high prices for rough incomplete pumps.
Tim

CMACDONALD1 11-29-2011 12:06 PM

Cool pics keep them coming. Hey 70-Shorty i'd really like to see a picture of that beer dispenser sounds really cool.

72BlckButy 11-29-2011 03:19 PM

I'm going to try and post up some pics of one that I'm looking at tonight. I need some advice as to its value.

I want one of these bad... :D (No room for it, but hey!)

I've seen Ridnhi's two pumps and they are both worthy of sitting in my garage. ;)

Ridnhi 11-29-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5037588)

I've seen Ridnhi's two pumps and they are both worthy of sitting in my garage. ;)

I appreciate that:) I'm picking up two more pumps in the same condition as the Sinclair pump. I'm waiting on a few dry days so I can get to them and some time. Been busy lately. If I don't keep them I'll let you know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bishops Trucks 11-29-2011 08:13 PM

I love those old things but I've never been able to afford one.

72BlckButy 11-30-2011 03:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridnhi (Post 5038078)
I appreciate that:) I'm picking up two more pumps in the same condition as the Sinclair pump. I'm waiting on a few dry days so I can get to them and some time. Been busy lately. If I don't keep them I'll let you know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keep me posted. :D

Here's the one I looked at that is owned by a local store. They are getting out of the kerosene business and are taking bids on the pump. I have an idea as to the bids they've received but would like to see what you guys think. Sorry for the quality of the pics.

The unit has been repainted over it's life and is missing the glass on one side.

Attachment 835604

Attachment 835605

Attachment 835606

Attachment 835607

Attachment 835608

CMACDONALD1 11-30-2011 06:51 PM

I think if it was me I would feel pretty comfortable paying 500.00 for that pump. It looks to be pretty complete except for the globe on top. When I was looking for a pump most of them were missing lots of parts and that can get expensive in a hurry (kinda like restoring an old truck). I say bid to own it.

70-Shorty 11-30-2011 07:26 PM

I don't know that i'd pay $500 for that pump but it is very straight and complete. The glass missing is easy as you have one to copy. The porcelain face looked good and those are often chipped. Are those chips or dirt/oily spots? The biggest PITA is stripping them down and removing the heavy electric motor and the pump assy. That one would be a pretty good one to restore. That last one of those i got was GIVEN to me, loaded in my dually with a skip loader...lets just say it needed some body work....

Tokheims are my personal favorites to restore.
Tim

Ridnhi 12-01-2011 01:39 AM

I would say that is in equivalent condition as my DX pump and I gave 400 for it. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gumby 12-01-2011 02:05 AM

Big Sinclair fan here

http://viragotech.com/dinooil.jpg

Like to have a globe Sinclair and a 70s-80s boxy SOHIO pump that wasn't computerized, the numbers still rolled by.

72BlckButy 12-01-2011 08:42 AM

Thanks guys....

Well as I guessed, I'm out. Apparently they have received bids from $200-600, and to exceed $600, was not a decision I was ready to make on this pump. For some reason it didn't sound like they were interested in the "highest" bid, they were just going to call someone up. So I'll throw a bid out there and see what happens, but it will not be higher than $600. :)

Zebb 12-01-2011 12:28 PM

Hope you get the pump 72BlckButy.

Here is a phone pic of my gasboy.
http://www.suitorsgarage.com/jsuitor/gasboy.jpg

70-Shorty 12-01-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5041063)
Thanks guys....

Well as I guessed, I'm out. Apparently they have received bids from $200-600, and to exceed $600, was not a decision I was ready to make on this pump. For some reason it didn't sound like they were interested in the "highest" bid, they were just going to call someone up. So I'll throw a bid out there and see what happens, but it will not be higher than $600. :)

thats a shame because that is a very nice original pump....most pumps that vintage have been sitting outside unused, weathered and abused. The fact that it's still functioning is kinda neat. I'd be really on the fence on that one, IDK, i'd maybe go in and be persistant and offer $500 bucks and tell them you will NOT resell it and you are restoring it for your garage. Sometimes folks like to hear you intend to keep it and have it around as opposed to selling it...

I'm just cheep and cant justify that much coin for pumps these days. I (supposedly) traded a powder coated lubester in pieces for a future Tokheim "draft pick" to a buddy, so hopefully he'll come thru and hook me up with a short Tokheim 39. I want to do a silver & black Harley-Davidson pump (no i'm not a Raiders fan, more a Raider Hater).

72BlckButy 12-01-2011 04:32 PM

Thanks for the info 70-shorty.

I'm all about saving a buck and I would prefer to get it for less than $600, but who knows. The whole sale seemed kind of odd as I would have run an ad for 30 days and the highest bid received would have gotten it. Unfortunately that's not the case and according to the store manager, the high bid at $600 is a wife purchasing it for her husbands garage. :D

beach 12-03-2011 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine....my dad and I bought 2 about 25 years ago, the one he has is much nicer than mine...I will try to get a pic of his up soon.

72BlckButy 12-04-2011 11:23 AM

Love the Esso pump!

abebummy26 12-04-2011 11:46 AM

I'm into the Mobil stuff my mom's step dad worked for them for ever. Would like to get a pump eventually.

ToonMan 12-06-2011 03:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Nice thread!!!

Here is my 48 Bowser 585. When i got it and as it is in its current state of restoration. Also here is mt Replica Visible pump.

I have other Gas Station itema as well.

CMACDONALD1 12-06-2011 12:38 PM

Some really cool pumps out there. Keep them coming.

ToonMan 12-23-2011 02:56 AM

I just got this Gasboy and this Chevy Globe

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/IMG_6065.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/IMG_6060.jpg