The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fan shroud holes won't line up (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=520163)

BB72CHEVKT 04-17-2012 08:56 PM

Fan shroud holes won't line up

5 Attachment(s)
Any ideas? Here are some pics.

buz48 04-17-2012 09:16 PM

Re: Fan shroud holes won't line up

Upside down???

05crewcab 04-17-2012 09:25 PM

Loosen the radiator hold down brackets and then try to bolt the shroud...maybe that will give you a bit of wiggle room. Then tighten it all up.

gcburdic 04-18-2012 10:29 AM

If that's a sbc fan shroud, the bottom of the shroud sits in clips....have you simply tried to lift it up out of the clips some....that's what I had to do to get it to line up:D

shawno72 04-18-2012 10:38 AM

I think a combination of loosening the rad hold brackets and lifting the shroud up a little should do the trick. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

BB72CHEVKT 04-18-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 5321473)
If that's a sbc fan shroud, the bottom of the shroud sits in clips....have you simply tried to lift it up out of the clips some....that's what I had to do to get it to line up:D

I ran out of daylight last night. I am thinking it may have to do with me replacing the rubber in the hold downs. I already trimmed them in half but maybe some more trimming is necessary.

50bomb 04-18-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 5321485)
I ran out of daylight last night. I am thinking it may have to do with me replacing the rubber in the hold downs. I already trimmed them in half but maybe some more trimming is necessary.

I thinkin same thing about if you had new rubber for the hold downs.

Lee H 04-18-2012 11:54 AM

Are the brackets correct for the radiator, maybe a larger 4 row with stock brackets?

mrein3 04-18-2012 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This happened to me when I installed a 4-row radiator in place of a 2 or 3.
I had to get new "cups" for the bottoms and rubber for top and bottom. When I got done nothing lined up.

I ended up NOT using the factory clips on the bottom. Down there I have cable ties. (You trailer queen folks probably are worried about people looking at the bottom of the fan shround and should look for a different solution there). Using the cable ties allowed some play in the top.

For the top I made little brackets out of sheet metal. (queens will probably want to paint those black.)

Those little "brackets" and cable ties have been in place since May of 2003 with no cooling issues or fan rubbing problems.

BB72CHEVKT 04-18-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrein3 (Post 5321739)
This happened to me when I installed a 4-row radiator in place of a 2 or 3.
I had to get new "cups" for the bottoms and rubber for top and bottom. When I got done nothing lined up.

I ended up NOT using the factory clips on the bottom. Down there I have cable ties. (You trailer queen folks probably are worried about people looking at the bottom of the fan shround and should look for a different solution there). Using the cable ties allowed some play in the top.

For the top I made little brackets out of sheet metal. (queens will probably want to paint those black.)

Those little "brackets" and cable ties have been in place since May of 2003 with no cooling issues or fan rubbing problems.

Did you trim the rubber at all?

mrein3 04-18-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 5321920)
Did you trim the rubber at all?

Not one bit.

GASoline71 04-18-2012 04:15 PM

You have the 2-3 row upper brackets and what appears to be a 4 row radiator. You need the longer upper brackets and rubbers.

Make sure you also get the larger lower brackets and rubbers too.

Gary

BB72CHEVKT 04-18-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 5322158)
You have the 2-3 row upper brackets and what appears to be a 4 row radiator. You need the longer upper brackets and rubbers.

Make sure you also get the larger lower brackets and rubbers too.

Gary

This is the same radiator and brackets that were with the truck when I got it and everything lined up perfectly. These are 4 row brackets a have some others to compare them to. I only changed the shroud.

GASoline71 04-18-2012 07:09 PM

Thats odd... shoulda fit just fine.

Gary

BB72CHEVKT 04-19-2012 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok had A minute or two to take another look last night. It must be the shroud. Is there a special shroud for a 4 core radiator with a small block? If you look at the picture below there is no way the gap between the hold down and the shroud can fit because the shroud is flush against the radiator.

GASoline71 04-19-2012 11:29 AM

Is it an aftermarket shroud? Or OEM?

I bought a used OEM shroud because of all the fitment issues with the aftermarket shrouds.

Gary

BB72CHEVKT 04-19-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 5323914)
Is it an aftermarket shroud? Or OEM?

I bought a used OEM shroud because of all the fitment issues with the aftermarket shrouds.

Gary

OEM and has the part number on it.

Based on mrein3's post it looks like the fan shroud for a 4 row must be different. I trashed my other one because the ear completely broke off. I should have save it for comparision but I did not expect a problem.

shawno72 04-19-2012 12:28 PM

The one that mrein3 posted looks to be a 4x4 shroud which is deeper but should mount up the same.

BB72CHEVKT 04-19-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 5323996)
The one that mrein3 posted looks to be a 4x4 shroud which is deeper but should mount up the same.

I didn't notice that but that means it has to be for a small block.

mrein3 04-19-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 5324028)
I didn't notice that but that means it has to be for a small block.

Yes mine is a small block in a 4x4 however the point I was trying to make is that when putting a 4-row in, my shroud lined up EXACTLY like that first picture. My solution was/is to put cable ties on the bottom to allow a little play and make a little bracket for the top.

I don't know if all big blocks got 4-rows or if they used the same shroud as a small block. However to me it appears that there is a "4-row" shroud and a "2/3 row" shroud. Perhaps the parts guys that go through so many of these have seen a difference.

shawno72 04-19-2012 03:07 PM

Ok I have 2 different types of fan shrouds, one 4x4 and one not. I just went from a 3 core to a 4 core, still have the 292, but in the next day or so I will try both shrouds and see if either one fits.

BB72CHEVKT 04-19-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 5324227)
Ok I have 2 different types of fan shrouds, one 4x4 and one not. I just went from a 3 core to a 4 core, still have the 292, but in the next day or so I will try both shrouds and see if either one fits.

Let us know. I have seen different aftermarket ones listed for heavy duty radiators. I have a BB shroud wonder if it will work?

shawno72 04-19-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 5324235)
Let us know. I have seen different aftermarket ones listed for heavy duty radiators. I have a BB shroud wonder if it will work?

My shrouds are both oem but try the big block shroud and maybe we can make a faq out of this thread. I will be sure to take plenty of pics.:chevy:

shawno72 04-20-2012 10:40 PM

Ok here are the two shrouds that I have
http://i.imgur.com/qTNuI.jpg
And here is the 4 core radiator that I installed last weekend
http://i.imgur.com/N5X1h.jpg
I was able to install the smaller shroud and it lined top and bottom with no problems, sorry for the crappy pics I was by myself and only had my cell phone but you GW the idea
http://i.imgur.com/iEgAu.jpg
One thing I did notice is there is this piece on top of the radiator and ifs didn't pull the shroud up over the piece the tabs wouldn't be close enough to bolt up. Maybe that's part I'd the issue. I hope this helps.
http://i.imgur.com/17YtL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VJop3.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

shawno72 04-20-2012 10:41 PM

The 4x4 shroud won't fit with the six cylinder still in it.
Posted via Mobile Device