The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Installing a Boyd's tank. Do I have to remove the bed? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=530382)

chevy72blu 06-21-2012 12:06 PM

Installing a Boyd's tank. Do I have to remove the bed?

I am jumping back into my project and I plan on installing a Boyd's in bed fill EFI tank. This is probably a silly question as it would make life a lot easier to install it with the bed removed, but I work alone in my shop and I may not have much help besides the wife.

Is it possible to install the tank with the bed still on? I would plumb and wire it before setting it in, use a marker taped to the filler neck to mark a hole, and drill from the bottom side for the opening.

Do-able?

ChevLoRay 06-21-2012 12:33 PM

Re: Installing a Boyd's tank. Do I have to remove the bed?

Possible, I suppose. But, it would be a LOT easier with the bed off. Holes to drill; lines to run and secure plus wiring......just sayin'.

mixermike 06-21-2012 07:15 PM

I installed mine with the bed on. Not that bad
Posted via Mobile Device

RaceAGMC 06-21-2012 07:20 PM

Not trying to thread jack but are you guys mounting the tank to the bottom of the frame? I had to relocate the rear most cross member to get my Boyd tank to fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba353z 06-21-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceAGMC (Post 5447640)
Not trying to thread jack but are you guys mounting the tank to the bottom of the frame? I had to relocate the rear most cross member to get my Boyd tank to fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes - that way if it ever needs to come out, you don't have to pull the bed. I cut out the cross member too - only way it will fit.

chevy72blu 06-22-2012 08:17 PM

Can anyone post pics of where they had to cut/move the x-member? I surely wont be spending $700+ on a tank if I need to make the same modifications that will be needed with a junk yard pull out..

Thanks for the help

bubba353z 06-22-2012 10:39 PM

I had to cut out the small crossmember above where the spare was - the big crossmembers at the end of the frame and where the panhard bar meets the frame are OK. There's not a huge amount of clearance for the tank, but it fits.

CigarMan 06-23-2012 12:36 AM

If I were to do this alone I would un bolt bed and block it with wood to elevate up maybe 12 inches or so. That would be easy enough for one man to do.
Posted via Mobile Device