The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Showing my ignorance! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=537793)

DevilDog Aggie 08-10-2012 09:21 AM

Showing my ignorance!

I am waiting on a package from Cliff to rebuild my Quadrajet tonight/tomorrow. While I was working on checking for vacuum leaks, ignition problems etc, I noticed a pull handle in the cab next to the parking brake. Hadn't noticed it before. Not really sure how, since every time I get in the cab, it is right there.

I assume it is for the choke?? I guess my biggest question is, what position should it be in for starting and then running? In to start, out to run? or vice versa.

:chevy:

DevilDog Aggie 08-10-2012 10:22 AM

Re: Showing my ignorance!

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics. It has a divorced choke, if that makes a difference.

dubds10 08-10-2012 10:27 AM

You talking about the black knob which is the vent lever or the white handle which is the ebrake release? If you have a stock choke hooked up still it's be on the top right of the gauge cluster or beside it in that area. I've seen a couple different locations as people change them around over the years.

DevilDog Aggie 08-10-2012 10:46 AM

DUH!!!! Like I said, showing my ignorance!!!! I guess the good thing is I am not afraid to admit what I don't know and ask for help! :-) I was shooting in the dark with the lever when I saw it. When I noticed it, I was getting pretty flustrated with her and didn't even bother to look under the dash. Looking at the pic my wife just sent, it is obvious!! Explains why I can't find it in any of my books! No pulls on the dash at all. Having a problem with her stalling when you put her in gear. She will run like a top in park and level. But put her on an incline or in gear and she bogs down and dies. Replaced the HEI cap/rotor/capacitor/module/coil/wires/plugs, checked for vacuum leaks, etc but still get the same result. That is why I was leaning towards the carb rebuild. Thought maybe it might be a float issue.

dubds10 08-10-2012 11:15 AM

That could be anything from simple adjustment problems to a bad tranny. Does it do it in all gears? R, N, D, 1, 2?? This should probably be moved to the regular forum though not in the projects forum. I had a tranny go on me and it ran great in P and N lol But in any gears the car just died. That's when I knew the tranny finally gave up on me haha Cycle it through the gears on flat land and see what the vehicle does as well.

DevilDog Aggie 08-10-2012 11:54 AM

Thanks! It basically does it in all gears except P/N. I pulled the tranny cover and replaced filter and fluid and just did a base visual inspection of what I could see. Granted, not much, but there were no filings or pieces in the old fluid or filter. I am in the process of getting her running so I can start rebuilding a little at a time. But if it needs to move, no problem here!