The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Need some help! cracked blocked (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=560403)

rollin thunder 01-12-2013 06:19 PM

Need some help! cracked blocked

3 Attachment(s)
I recently took down my 250 and discovered a crack :waah: I was hoping to keep matching numbers but idk if trying to get this repaired and rebuild it or if it can is worth time and money, and risks in the future versus buying another or just getting a new long block from the part store and using this engine as parts for the tinwork. Thank you in advance for any input! :confused: the crack runs all the way through to the inside into the coolant passage and through to the thread for the head bolt. The 2nd picture is where the water pump mounts, if more info is needed let me know i try to put as much I thought was needed

cableguy0 01-12-2013 06:42 PM

Re: Need some help! cracked blocked

That block should be in the scrap pile. Matching numbers or not. It is not useable.

68gmsee 01-13-2013 10:27 AM

Is there even a matching number on engines for these trucks?

Repairing the crack makes the subject moot anyway. Think about it, if you were in the market and you saw the block had been repaired, would you be concerned? I know I would.

As cableguy mentioned, it should be scrapped. Primarily because you don't know what caused that crack and there may be other weak or weakened areas in the block.

bk2life 01-13-2013 10:56 AM

it could be repaired. the loaction it is in inst 'critical' like next to acylinder.

you could have it welded up, and remaching it and never know it was there.

but what cause it. thats my concern. over heating?

shouldnt be too hard to find a nother 6'er..

rollin thunder 01-13-2013 01:47 PM

i`ll just get a new long block. thank you for the input, everyone on this site has saved my but several times. Still learning ins and outs of it all.

GRX 01-13-2013 04:54 PM

That block could be saved but you are better going with your long block. Best of luck! :chevy:

Gumby 01-13-2013 06:51 PM

smack that corner area really hard, dead flat with a 5lb hammer, if you don't notice any change, its run/fix-able....

Coley 01-14-2013 01:59 AM

I get the idea of keeping the original engine with the truck so here is what I would do.
1) Keep the engine (block) and set it aside in storage for your own satisfaction, reference and bench racing 'chat'... or for others.
2) Get another block and build it up into a great runner and put that in the truck to keep yourself on the road. (personally I would add a touch more performance to the new/next 6 cylinder...with a bit of a cam and some headwork, but thats just me;))
You will always be able to assert that you have the original engine for the truck....just not currently installed in favor of a current better unit.
(note: nobody really gets too tied up into the numbers matching element with these trucks generally speaking due to the fact that GM did not stamp the blocks with the VIN until the early mid 70's...so 'true' numbers matching is always open to interpretation..sometimes)
My two bits.:chevy:
Coley

Redcap 01-14-2013 02:08 AM

Junk.

GASoline71 01-14-2013 03:44 AM

I've said it before... "Numbers Matching" only counts with Corvettes and Chevelles. The original engine in a truck will bring no resale value.

For one, finding a welder capable to weld cast iron correctly might not be very easy. The cost will probably outweigh the repair.

Find a new block, or go with the long block you said he local parts store can get you.

Gary

68gmsee 01-14-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 5816615)
I've said it before... "Numbers Matching" only counts with Corvettes and Chevelles. The original engine in a truck will bring no resale value.

For one, finding a welder capable to weld cast iron correctly might not be very easy. The cost will probably outweigh the repair.

Find a new block, or go with the long block you said he local parts store can get you.

Gary

^ True.

I wasn't aware of Chevelles having matching numbers but I do know Corvettes had the last few numbers of the vin number stamped on the block - I have one on my engine stand.

kwmech 01-14-2013 04:27 PM

If it were mine, I would have no problem having that welded up and putting an insert for the head bolt

rollin thunder 01-14-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 5816543)
I get the idea of keeping the original engine with the truck so here is what I would do.
1) Keep the engine (block) and set it aside in storage for your own satisfaction, reference and bench racing 'chat'... or for others.
2) Get another block and build it up into a great runner and put that in the truck to keep yourself on the road. (personally I would add a touch more performance to the new/next 6 cylinder...with a bit of a cam and some headwork, but thats just me;))
You will always be able to assert that you have the original engine for the truck....just not currently installed in favor of a current better unit.
(note: nobody really gets too tied up into the numbers matching element with these trucks generally speaking due to the fact that GM did not stamp the blocks with the VIN until the early mid 70's...so 'true' numbers matching is always open to interpretation..sometimes)
My two bits.:chevy:
Coley

Dig the keeping it aside idea ha but i will for sure do another six seeing as 84(my truck) was the last year i believe they used the 250 and its not something people usually do around here. they drop big blocks in , ofcourse they are always mudding or pulling stuff or racing down some back-road.. which i will stick to pavement and rollin around on nice days

crazy longhorn 01-14-2013 06:27 PM

Good time to upgrade to a 292? It is my understanding, that the tall deck blocks didnt have that issue (read from Leo's book of inlines). Bigger is also better;)...crazyL