The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Woodgrain door panels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=564698)

72cheyenneman 02-05-2013 09:13 PM

Woodgrain door panels

I'm looking to buy a very nice set of woodgrain door panels for my '72 Cheyenne. Has anyone ever bought any or heard who has the best for the buck? Does anyone know about those aluminum ones? I remember reading about them briefly a while back. Thanks, Casey

leddzepp 02-05-2013 09:26 PM

Re: Woodgrain door panels

Counterpart is now manufacturing them in the OEM design.
Posted via Mobile Device

3li9 02-11-2013 05:14 PM

Hi
i m interested too but fnd nothing with counterpart?
Is that an online shop?

leddzepp 02-11-2013 05:27 PM

www.truckandcarshop.com is the retail distributor for counterparts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tom Vogel 02-11-2013 05:30 PM

Are they any good??

big mike71 02-11-2013 07:50 PM

sduckworth13 had a set on the parts board awhile back.

72cheyenneman 02-11-2013 07:52 PM

Guys, I've called counterparts and they're not handling them anymore. So I called Wes at Classic Heartbeat about this. I told him that I needed aluminum, not plastic, woodgrain door panels that look like OEM. Wes told me that he's heard of a company that makes excellent woodgrain panels. He said he was going to get a set and would let me know if he likes them or not. He knows the high-end restoration I'm doing and wouldn't sell me something he doesn't like. Brothers and LMC sell the plastic panels and there's no way I'm going to put those on my truck. I did notice that someone sold 2 very nice woodgrain panels on this site last week, and I was tempted to buy them but another member scooped them up. They were pricey but beautiful. I'll let you all know what Wes says--it will be about a week.

leddzepp 02-11-2013 08:02 PM

Fwiw the plastic door panels are very nice, fit like a glove, and will never scratch or dent or wear like the aluminum ones. Unless you are building garage furniture or a truck that will never get driven, the plastic panels are the way to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

big mike71 02-11-2013 09:03 PM

Here's some for sale.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537855

72cheyenneman 02-11-2013 09:05 PM

Ledzepp...Plastic may be fine for some, but I'm restoring my truck as close to original as possible. I don't like the plastic, especially with the amount of money I've poured into the restoration. Look for aluminum.

For a daily driver that you beat on every day, plastic would be the way to go.

leddzepp 02-11-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72cheyenneman (Post 5882670)
Ledzepp...Plastic may be fine for some, but I'm restoring my truck as close to original as possible. I don't like the plastic, especially with the amount of money I've poured into the restoration. Look for aluminum.

For a daily driver that you beat on every day, plastic would be the way to go.

Like I said, if you are building a truck that is not going to get driven, go with the high dollar aluminum ones. I have a lot of original high dollar options on my truck, but I am not going with aluminum door panels, as I drive my truck along with kids in it. To each his own. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Zoomin 02-11-2013 09:28 PM

Keep your glove box door and instrument panel in mind. I'd rather have a matching set of plastic than a mis-matched set of aluminum. I got around this by having one guy restoring the whole set for me.

You need to have a build thread going. I'd love to see more of what you've got going.

70cst 02-11-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72cheyenneman (Post 5882489)
Guys, I've called counterparts and they're not handling them anymore. So I called Wes at Classic Heartbeat about this. I told him that I needed aluminum, not plastic, woodgrain door panels that look like OEM. Wes told me that he's heard of a company that makes excellent woodgrain panels. He said he was going to get a set and would let me know if he likes them or not. He knows the high-end restoration I'm doing and wouldn't sell me something he doesn't like. Brothers and LMC sell the plastic panels and there's no way I'm going to put those on my truck. I did notice that someone sold 2 very nice woodgrain panels on this site last week, and I was tempted to buy them but another member scooped them up. They were pricey but beautiful. I'll let you all know what Wes says--it will be about a week.

WES is a Classic example of how some of our Vendors will go the extra mile to help out :metal:

72cheyenneman 02-11-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 5882732)
Keep your glove box door and instrument panel in mind. I'd rather have a matching set of plastic than a mis-matched set of aluminum. I got around this by having one guy restoring the whole set for me.

You need to have a build thread going. I'd love to see more of what you've got going.

Zoomin...I have a thread on the progress - "Grandma's Truck..." Here's a link that should take you there:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=373187

Tom Vogel 02-11-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 5882734)
WES is a Classic example of how some of our Vendors will go the extra mile to help out :metal:

^^^^Yup
Posted via Mobile Device

71blksuper4x4 02-12-2013 12:04 AM

The new ones dont have the exact woodgrain pattern that the older repops and nos ones did. Trevor
Posted via Mobile Device

special-K 02-12-2013 12:34 AM

I think the older repros that Golden State sold were actually N.O.S. Think about it. Back then there was very little in repro parts available,so why make these that are '72-only and just the upper level trucks? If it was feasible 20 years ago,when last available,then why none till now? Golden State had N.O.S. mixed in with reproduction and there was no indication which it was. The lost or broken die thing is just a story,I think.

wgr2112 02-12-2013 06:01 PM

Here are the metal ones that Classic Parts carries: http://www.classicparts.com/1972-Doo.../#.URq7ex08CSo

71blksuper4x4 02-12-2013 06:29 PM

Wished they actually looked like the ones they have pictured. The grain isn't the same as original though. They have originals pictured. Trevor

wgr2112 02-12-2013 07:17 PM

I will try to get up to their showroom and take pictures of the actual product on Saturday. I'm interested in seeing what they look like as well.

Even the LMC plastic ones look better than my old ones!

Tom Vogel 02-13-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr2112 (Post 5884828)
I will try to get up to their showroom and take pictures of the actual product on Saturday. I'm interested in seeing what they look like as well.
!

Would you please do that? I found a nib set that my son got from Golden State Pickup Parts back in 1992, still wrapped in foam and in the original box. Im not really impressed, but Ill take a picture next to an original so everyone can compare. Then we will get an idea of the quality.
Im thinking maybe the way to go is the water transfer process, but we will see.

special-K 02-13-2013 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 5886177)
Would you please do that? I found a nib set that my son got from Golden State Pickup Parts back in 1992, still wrapped in foam and in the original box. Im not really impressed, but Ill take a picture next to an original so everyone can compare. Then we will get an idea of the quality.
Im thinking maybe the way to go is the water transfer process, but we will see.

Huh? Do his look like this?

Tom Vogel 02-14-2013 12:10 AM

Yes, just like that. However, I think they look better in your photo because details dont really show up in pictures. If you've ever seen the original wood grain on instrument bezels or glove box lids you know there is a difference in quality on those and the repop stuff. The original wood grain instrument bezel and glovebox lid had a more 3-D appearance than the Golden State aluminum wood grain door inserts that I have. I'll get a picture tomorrow with one of these next to an old original. You decide.
Posted via Mobile Device

wgr2112 02-14-2013 09:01 AM

When I go to Classic Parts tomorrow, I'll take one of my originals with me. The door panels look and feel different than the original dash woodgrain. I'll put the cluster face next to them as well since I have an extra.

I'll do my best to post the pics on Saturday afternoon.

Tom Vogel 02-14-2013 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK First picture shows full shot of Golden State Pickup Parts repop next to an original, second picture shows the grain on the original (if you look close) compared to the repop.
What do you guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Next picture on pg.2